Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Derrick Lewis (Arena League WR in camp with Texans) Story

JAXwithanX

Waterboy
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3979513.html

Excerpt
After two years and little playing time with the Saints, Lewis begged to go to NFL Europe to gain experience and prove to Saints coach Jim Haslett that he could play.

With back flips in the end zones and impressive statistics, Lewis became a fan favorite. Yet the Saints drafted a receiver and cut Lewis. He spent one week with Tampa Bay in 2004 and the entire offseason with the team in 2005, which is where he met Texans receivers coach Kyle Shanahan, then an assistant.

"I just know Derrick can play in the NFL" said Shanahan, who convinced the Texans to look at Lewis. "He probably should have made the team."

Lewis hopes to convince the entire coaching staff of during training camp.

"I've just been waiting on that opportunity," Lewis said. "It's been a long journey, but I know I can do it. I'm just waiting on somebody to say, 'We know you can too,' and give me that chance."
Lord have mercy, please let this man make our team.

Texans86

Rookie
I hate that he is fighting an uphill battle since we have so many recievers on the team right now that seem like locks. AJ, Moulds and most likely Mathis aren't going anywhere. Kevin Walter is pretty much a lock, and Armstrong has magnets in his hands. Someone good is going to get cut at WR this year.

touching story and undeniable skills....unfortunately we are pretty stacked at the WR position...hopefully he is good enough to beat someone out of a spot or to make the practice squad so he can stick around...

MorKnolle

All Pro
I really think Lewis has a good chance to make the team. Andre, Moulds, Walter, and Armstrong will all make the team, Mathis will make it but might start the year on the PUP list, and after those guys I think Lewis is probably the next best on the team right now.

chuckm

Veteran
Anyone out there know his speed numbers? good hands? possession receiver? deep threat? height?

Good story... similar to Donovan Morgan's except this guy has more NFL experience. He was amazing in the AFL, but that doesn't usuallly translate. Looks like he's got a good shot to stick around until Mathis gets back.

MorKnolle

All Pro
chuckm said:
Anyone out there know his speed numbers? good hands? possession receiver? deep threat? height?
Listed at 6-2, 185 lbs. on their website, he seemed pretty fast but not a major burner, and looked like he ran decent routes and had pretty good hands, and they had him returning kicks as well during the practice I got to watch.

TK_Gamer

Veteran
does this guy have any return skills? that would prolly be the only way, unless the mathis situation lingers past pre-season. i wish hem luck

MorKnolle

All Pro
TK_Gamer said:
does this guy have any return skills? that would prolly be the only way, unless the mathis situation lingers past pre-season. i wish hem luck
Mathis is supposed to be out the first month of the regular season, and either way as I see it Lewis is the 6th best WR on the team (including Mathis), so if we decide to carry 6 WRs on the team or have Mathis on the PUP list to start with and want 5 WRs then I think he'll likely be the last one to make the team, or at least make practice squad.

chuckm

Veteran
MorKnolle said:
Listed at 6-2, 185 lbs. on their website, he seemed pretty fast but not a major burner, and looked like he ran decent routes and had pretty good hands, and they had him returning kicks as well during the practice I got to watch.

thanks for sharing ...

Insideop

All Pro
MorKnolle said:
I really think Lewis has a good chance to make the team. Andre, Moulds, Walter, and Armstrong will all make the team, Mathis will make it but might start the year on the PUP list, and after those guys I think Lewis is probably the next best on the team right now.

What about David Anderson the 7th round pick? Has anyone heard how he did in the OTA's and Mini Camp? Where do you think he will end up? Practice Squad? :confused:

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
MorKnolle said:
I am not sure what kind of return man he can be so hopefully he can fill that role.

DRAMA

Rookie
Insideop said:
What about David Anderson the 7th round pick? Has anyone heard how he did in the OTA's and Mini Camp? Where do you think he will end up? Practice Squad? :confused:
I think DA may make the practice squad. In college the guy simply ran great routes and caught everything thrown to him. That's always a plus for a WR. :)

LORK 88

Wreck'em Ŧech!
Texans | Lewis has legitimate shot at making roster
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:08:06 -0700

Megan Manfull, reporting for the Sporting News, reports Houston Texans WR Derrick Lewis, who recently led the Arena Football League in receiving yards, could land on the Texans after spending four seasons in the AFL. He has a good chance at becoming the team's No. 4 receiver, particularly after the injury to WR Jerome Mathis (foot). Lewis can increase his chances of making the team by making himself useful in the return game.

MorKnolle

All Pro
Insideop said:
Likely practice squad. He has nice hands and runs pretty good routes but he's small and not very fast, kind of a little bit smaller verson of Derick Armstrong. Supposed to be a decent special teams player in college too (don't think it was as a returner, more of a coverage guy) so maybe that will help his chances some.

TexanFan881

All Pro
MorKnolle said:
Likely practice squad. He has nice hands and runs pretty good routes but he's small and not very fast, kind of a little bit smaller verson of Derick Armstrong. Supposed to be a decent special teams player in college too (don't think it was as a returner, more of a coverage guy) so maybe that will help his chances some.
His college profile says "he is not fast but always seems to find a way to create seperation from defenders". I'm figuring it will be a little harder to do that in the NFL, which is probably why you're right with the practice squad assumtion. In a couple years though I see him becoming a really solid reciever for us.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
LORK 88 said:
Texans | Lewis has legitimate shot at making roster
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:08:06 -0700

Megan Manfull, reporting for the Sporting News, reports Houston Texans WR Derrick Lewis, who recently led the Arena Football League in receiving yards, could land on the Texans after spending four seasons in the AFL. He has a good chance at becoming the team's No. 4 receiver, particularly after the injury to WR Jerome Mathis (foot). Lewis can increase his chances of making the team by making himself useful in the return game.

Does that mean Derrick Armstrong is out? That guy could catch everything. It'll be interesting to see if Derick Armstrong and Derrick Lewis are competing for the 4th WR position. Granted, whoever wins won't have the greatest amount of playing time, but he won't be a benchwarmer either. Especially with the new offense Kubiak is implementing.

TexanFan881

All Pro
TexanSam said:
Does that mean Derrick Armstrong is out? That guy could catch everything. It'll be interesting to see if Derick Armstrong and Derrick Lewis are competing for the 4th WR position. Granted, whoever wins won't have the greatest amount of playing time, but he won't be a benchwarmer either. Especially with the new offense Kubiak is implementing.
I think this means we are going to keep six recievers. Armstrong is a very reliable reciever and with Derrick Lewis doing so well I think we keep six. We won't cut Mathis because he is such a threat at KR and it's only his second year, and Armstrong has the talent to be a #3 WR on some teams in the league.

Htown34s

Waterboy
Lewis has been on the Zone 1300 here in Austin several times when he was playing with the Wranglers. They just interviewed him again for several segments. The guy is super nice and very likeable. His story is incredible and heartwarming.

They asked him about trainging camp with the Texans. He said he loves the scheme we use on special teams and feels like he could go to the ProBowl returning kicks with it. That Carr is making a lot of good progress with the new offense and that the version of the West Coast offense we are emplementing is affective but not too complicated so that its easy to play naturally without thinking too much.

He also said AJ is huge and fast and that Moulds can still get open like crazy.

TexanFan881

All Pro
Thanks for the info :thumbup

Htown34s said:
Lewis has been on the Zone 1300 here in Austin several times when he was playing with the Wranglers. They just interviewed him again for several segments. The guy is super nice and very likeable. His story is incredible and heartwarming.

They asked him about trainging camp with the Texans. He said he loves the scheme we use on special teams and feels like he could go to the ProBowl returning kicks with it. That Carr is making a lot of good progress with the new offense and that the version of the West Coast offense we are emplementing is affective but not too complicated so that its easy to play naturally without thinking too much.

He also said AJ is huge and fast and that Moulds can still get open like crazy.
What about Jerome Mathis? I don't think Lewis will be a full time kick returner once Mathis comes back. At least he thinks and I hope he will be good in Mathis' absence.

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
TexanFan881 said:
Thanks for the info :thumbup

What about Jerome Mathis? I don't think Lewis will be a full time kick returner once Mathis comes back. At least he thinks and I hope he will be good in Mathis' absence.
Mathis is kind of in the dog house. If the guy can be a receiver and a returner he has a leg up on Mathis. Attitude is apparently another factor with Mathis. The type of injury Mathis has takes a good deal of time to heal and I wouldn't be surprised if he is out until next year.

The remark that caugh my eye the most, however, is about Moulds. When watching the tapes its very obious how good he is at getting open and how good he is at getting the ball if he has the slighest of edges. AJ simply needs to become a better route runner. He has the obvious skills, but has never developed the intangible ones. I keep hoping Moulds is able to tuitor AJ into what he should be.

Htown34s

Waterboy
TexanFan881 said:
Yes, they were talking like Mathis will miss the first month of the season, and Lewis would like to try to get the starting return job.

R

real

I actually played against Mathis in college...And What I remember most about that game was him eating us alive as a receiver...of course it wasn't the NFL, but I think eventually He will get a grasp on how to be a good receiver in the NFL...