Derrick Lewis (Arena League WR in camp with Texans) Story

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JAXwithanX, Jun 18, 2006.

1. JAXwithanX

JAXwithanX Veteran

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3979513.html

Excerpt
    Lord have mercy, please let this man make our team.

2. wicked_wayz

wicked_wayz all blacks

3. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

I hate that he is fighting an uphill battle since we have so many recievers on the team right now that seem like locks. AJ, Moulds and most likely Mathis aren't going anywhere. Kevin Walter is pretty much a lock, and Armstrong has magnets in his hands. Someone good is going to get cut at WR this year.

4. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

touching story and undeniable skills....unfortunately we are pretty stacked at the WR position...hopefully he is good enough to beat someone out of a spot or to make the practice squad so he can stick around...

5. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

Now he just needs to play with balls of steel. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

6. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I really think Lewis has a good chance to make the team. Andre, Moulds, Walter, and Armstrong will all make the team, Mathis will make it but might start the year on the PUP list, and after those guys I think Lewis is probably the next best on the team right now.

7. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

never know when someone will get injuried though

8. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

Anyone out there know his speed numbers? good hands? possession receiver? deep threat? height?

9. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Good story... similar to Donovan Morgan's except this guy has more NFL experience. He was amazing in the AFL, but that doesn't usuallly translate. Looks like he's got a good shot to stick around until Mathis gets back.

10. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Listed at 6-2, 185 lbs. on their website, he seemed pretty fast but not a major burner, and looked like he ran decent routes and had pretty good hands, and they had him returning kicks as well during the practice I got to watch.

11. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

does this guy have any return skills? that would prolly be the only way, unless the mathis situation lingers past pre-season. i wish hem luck

12. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Mathis is supposed to be out the first month of the regular season, and either way as I see it Lewis is the 6th best WR on the team (including Mathis), so if we decide to carry 6 WRs on the team or have Mathis on the PUP list to start with and want 5 WRs then I think he'll likely be the last one to make the team, or at least make practice squad.

13. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

I think he will make practice squad and could move his way up the roster during the season.

14. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

thanks for sharing ...

15. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

What about David Anderson the 7th round pick? Has anyone heard how he did in the OTA's and Mini Camp? Where do you think he will end up? Practice Squad? :confused:

16. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I am not sure what kind of return man he can be so hopefully he can fill that role.

17. DRAMA

DRAMA All Pro

I think DA may make the practice squad. In college the guy simply ran great routes and caught everything thrown to him. That's always a plus for a WR. :)

18. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

Texans | Lewis has legitimate shot at making roster
    Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:08:06 -0700

Megan Manfull, reporting for the Sporting News, reports Houston Texans WR Derrick Lewis, who recently led the Arena Football League in receiving yards, could land on the Texans after spending four seasons in the AFL. He has a good chance at becoming the team's No. 4 receiver, particularly after the injury to WR Jerome Mathis (foot). Lewis can increase his chances of making the team by making himself useful in the return game.

19. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Likely practice squad. He has nice hands and runs pretty good routes but he's small and not very fast, kind of a little bit smaller verson of Derick Armstrong. Supposed to be a decent special teams player in college too (don't think it was as a returner, more of a coverage guy) so maybe that will help his chances some.

20. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

His college profile says "he is not fast but always seems to find a way to create seperation from defenders". I'm figuring it will be a little harder to do that in the NFL, which is probably why you're right with the practice squad assumtion. In a couple years though I see him becoming a really solid reciever for us.