Derick Armstrong

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TX PATS FAN, Mar 30, 2006.

1. TX PATS FAN

TX PATS FAN Rookie

He's been rumored as a possible signee for the Pats. Anyone care to share a few details about him? Most Pats fans don't have a clue who this guy is.

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The Texans signed Armstrong after a couple years in the CFL--on the Grizzlies I think. From a fan up there he was described as making steady and impressive progress and having very good hands but not burner speed. That is pretty much what we saw. Excellent hands, fast enough but not a burner--needs to work his routes although IMO did have some sense of finding holes and didn't need a whole lot of room if the QB trusted him to make the catch. When needed he put in some very big games but our now departed coaches seemed to reward good play by benching players. Won't be a star but can be a solid contributer with some really huge plays.

3. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

Armstrong played for the saskatchawan rough riders in the CFL

4. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

infantry gave a good summation. some of the fans nicknamed him SpiderMan for his catching ability.

he only catchs the ball. Not just the easy ones, but almost ALL of them thrown his way that he has ANY kind of chance at all to catch.

Now he won't burn anyone on speed, and he did seem to find the creases well and sit in a hole. Carr seemed to trust him when he threw it his way.

basically ALL he does is CATCH the BALL. Not a bad habit for a WR, IMHO.

5. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

....all he does is catch the ball when he can shed coverage. Getting free of a pressing DB at the line is his greatest challenge. He's a great leaper and has flypaper hands. Average speed. Think in terms of a slightly larger version of Jabar Gaffney in terms of game.

6. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

I thought he was pretty good in the time he was here. Why didn't the Texans try to keep him? He could of been that 4th WR....

7. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Has anybody mentioned that he has great hands.:jk:

But seriously he has great hands.

8. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

If they land Moulds, it will be AJ1, Moulds2, Walter3, Mathis is a lock because of his return ability, leaving one slot for Armstrong, Starling, and Morgan. Special teams ability always comes into play in the WR 4/5 roster spots. Armstrong is a better receiver than Mathis at this point, but Mathis isn't going anywhere.

9. TX PATS FAN

TX PATS FAN Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking forward to facing your new and improved team in Foxboro.

10. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

The players on the Texans all said that Armstrong had the best hands on the team.

He made some key catches for us when he got to play. Our WR coach didn't seem to favor him. The rumor was that he ran sloppy routes, but nobody said that publically.

He was a fan favorite because he seemed to catch everything that ended up coming his way. Lots of calls to get him on the field.

Was nicknamed "Automatic Armstrong" by the radio play by play guy.

Met him once--he could not have been any nicer. I will be sorry to see him leave and wish him the best.

Oh, and I want to add that I think he would be a great Pats' player--under the radar kinda guy and solid.

11. GrandPa

GrandPa Rookie

He is a RFA isn't he... Does that mean the Texans would get something from the Pats if they sign him???

12. TX PATS FAN

TX PATS FAN Rookie

Armstrong is a right-of-first-refusal restricted FA (meaning no draft compensation is due) according to NE39 of PatsFans.com.

13. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

True because he was never drafted. The Texans can match but that's it.

14. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I hope he stays. He's got amazing hands.

15. LBC_Justin

LBC_Justin All Pro

I heard a guy on Sirius Radio claiming to be Armstrong's cousin or brother-in-law or something. He said Armstrong was talking to the Patriots. I think he might be the guy who started this rumor. (Who knows but in the NFL where there is smoke there is usually fire.)

Anyways it will be ashame to see him go. LOL much much better than Bradford which the Lions picked up.

My money is still on him staying with the Texans. But I have been wrong many a time.

16. Mr Shush

Mr Shush Veteran

He's been one of footballoutsiders.com's top 2 receivers in per-play value for guys with less than 50 targets for the the last two years (according to their Defense-adjusted Value Over Average metric). However, DVOA is notably biased towards possession receivers with great hands but problems getting open . . .

I guess in Foxboro he might be the long term replacement for Troy Brown, whereas here he would have to battle with the (younger) Mathis and Walter for the no.3 job.

17. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Not sure why he thinks NE is any better situation. He's not beating out Branch, Caldwell, Brown, or even Bethel...

18. Mr Shush

Mr Shush Veteran

Brown's ancient, and Bethel Johnson's not very good. I imagine that's his thinking.

19. Scooter

Scooter Funky

as everyone else has said, the guy catches everything. i've only seen him miss one pass thrown his way (uncatchable lame duck throw in preseason), and followed it up with a great diving td grab on the next play. i really hope he stays a texan because from what i've seen, it doesnt matter if he can shed coverage or outrun anyone. put it in the area and armstrong's going to catch it (one physical tool he does have is good leaping ability ... both vertical & horizontal). he'll suprise folks once he's given a chance.

20. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

if this assessment is true, which i think it is, then casserly and co. would be dumb to let him walk.