Derek Newton-RT vs. Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf6151, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I didn't get to see much of the Jacksonville game, how'd Newton do against the Jaguars? Is he going to be our long term solution at RT or are we looking for one early in next years draft? Thanks.

2. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

the whole offensive line was balling out of control.

3. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Yeah there wasn't much resistance to what the offense wanted to do. I'd say reserve judgement until a more difficult test comes around.

4. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

The Dolphins and Jags might be poor teams, but their defenses are not bad. I'd say our O-Line has faced at least a medium amount of talent thus far.

5. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Much bigger test this weekend with Dumervil and Von Miller.

6. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Yeah, he's big and strong so I expected him to do well against Jax's bigger ends. If he's able to contain Denver's speed rushers I'll be shocked and impressed. I expect him to struggle some this game, but its part of the learning process. If he performs well then we may have a serious player on our hands.

7. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

I was impressed with Newton's pass protection so far. If he keeps Schaub clean after the Denver game, I'll be confident that we have our long term solution at that position.

8. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

He had a few false starts to his name which he needs to erase, but he has help up well once the balls been snapped.

9. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Welsh, Newton had one false start against the Jags and none in the first game; that is unless I miss something when I go through the game book just now.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think his technique is pretty sound just needs confidence thru repetition. i see the same thing with KJ this season; seems more confident and cocky.

11. welsh texan

I stand corrected in that case, thought I remembered 2 in quick succession but must have been wrong.

I really need to get hold of gamepass as I currently only get the rubbish streams of the game which break up all the time as well.

I've recently gone self-employed so have plenty of time to make use of it as well :D

12. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I think NFL Game Rewind at $70 is well worth it for a guy who loves football like you, Welsh.

You get to watch all the games from last year as well (including the condensed version and the coaches' film).

13. welsh texan

Yeh, I get paid on Friday so will go for it. I think its the first year I've been able to get it overseas, sure I looked into it a year or two ago and I couldn't get it here, but noticed I can now.

14. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

He isn't quite the mauler that Winston was in the running game (I saw him fail to get a few guys on the ground against the Jags), but he still did a good job. However I think he's already a better pass protecter and has much better arm length and hips/feet, which helps him from letting players beat him around the edge (he'll get a much bigger test this weekend though).

All in all he's doing a good job and showed improvement in pass blocking and run blocking from week 1 to week 2. If he can continue to improve on a weekly basis he'll be fine and will be our long term solution.

In other news Duane Brown is still a beast.

15. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGslvYmEYyA