Derek Newton named the starter?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Rey, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Rey

Rey Guest

I heard on the radio just now that Newton has been named the starter...

Can anyone confirm this?

2. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

He was basically the starter at RT in the Saints game, so that's really no surprise. It's not like there is a significant difference between him and Butler anyways.

3. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

See I have to disagree with that, because Kubiak is one of those ole school coachs who'd definitely go with a vet's experience as the tie breaker when all
    other parameters are equal between 2 players. In other words I'm thinking the Texans view Newt as just a more talented RT right now, today.

4. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

No big surprise. Butler just didn't go out there and win the job.

5. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

It's kind of like being the best behaved kid in detention, though.

6. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Here's a link to the story in the Chronicle:

LINK

This really isn't a surprise since not only did Newton start in the third preseason game, Butler played pretty poorly as the #2.

Kubiak had previously (Before the Saints game) said he may use two right tackles during the regular season. I don't know if that's still the case after Saturday, but keep in mind that even if it's not, whoever starts the opener still has to keep the starting position. Just like whatever the 53 man roster is immediately after the cut to 53 could well be different than the 53 man roster that opens the season, and that could well be different than the week two 53 man roster.

7. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

I'm worried! That's all I'm gonna say!!

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I don't like this at all, if true. Niether have played worth a crap. However, when Newton makes mistakes they're huge. He's been given every opportunity to win the job and he hasn't even with Butler making it easier for him. IMO, I'd go with Butler to start the season. If he doesn't run with it then Newton can have his chance.

All that said, I was a big proponent of Butler when Winston was let go. He has disappointed me big time (not that that means diddly).

9. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I've been saying this was going to happen. But even in the Saints game, the announcers said that Newton had stepped up and taken the #1 RT spot.

This shouldn't be a huge surprise.

10. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

Disagree with what? That there isn't a significant difference between the two or that Newton starting is not a surprise?

In three preseason games so far, I have seen both Butler and Newton:
    1. Whiff on pass blocks that resulted in QB hits/sacks.
    2. Give up multiple sacks
    3. Called for holding penalties

They both appear to be mediocre or worse in the run-game, so that's kind of a wash. The only thing I haven't seen out of Newton that I have in Butler is whiffing on cut blocks. So in that regard, he is probably slightly better than Butler. In any case, as I said a while ago, the right side of our o-line is going to be an issue for us this year. Might as well import a 600 pound sumo wrestler from Japan and put him at RT so the defense has to take an extra three steps to get to the QB.

11. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Neither did Newton.

Ditto!

12. Rey

Rey Guest

I'm not surprised considering that Newton started vs the Saints and to me he has looked like the better player.

I am surprised considering Butler was almost a shoe in and has the experience.

I know a lot of people disagree, but to me Newton has just flat out looked like a better player to me...He's made his fair share of mistakes, but when I say he looks better I mean skill wise. He looks quicker, stronger and more aggressive...So If I'm going to go with a guy that's going to make the mistakes I'd take the one who is physically better and younger with room to improve...

13. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

I'm not surprised. Butler was brought back to outplay Newton and earn a spot on this team. So far in preseason I didn't really see it. In my opinion Newton did play better than Butler, not much better, but better. Butler is also a better choice for the swing Tackle. I expect Butler to walk to FA land in the offseason and us to draft a rookie with Swing Tackle potential, in which case it's better to get Newton as much game experience right now that we can

14. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Well, given the fact that Butler's been in the league since 2006, participated in numerous off season training programs, numerous training camps, started 4 games and been active for 42, and Newton's entering his second season, just completed his first off season training program, his second training camp, started no games, and been active for 14, it seems pretty obvious that even if it's a dead heat now (and I think Newton's looked slightly better to begin with), which one has the most upside down the road. Also one of them is under contract at a lower cost for a longer period of time.

I know you make the decision based on who the best player is right now, but when there's little to no difference, future upside, and contract considerations validly factor in to that decision.

Allstar likes this.
  15. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

This plus I'll have faith in Kubes to make a better decision on who starts on the OL over fans anyday.

16. Bleed_Blu_Red

Bleed_Blu_Red Veteran

It is official Newton is the starter. kubiak announced it lasnite in a press conference on channel 13. I like it if anything Rt will be a platoon position between Newton and Butler until someone solidifys they can be the full time starter same thing with Dbo his rookie year when we would bring in ephraim Salam to give him a breather or he wasn't doing so good in the game.

17. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

All things being equal as far as their play I'm glad we went with Newton. We know what Butler is, hes been around for quite a while. Newton still has room to grow and I think will be a different player by midseason. Plus we don't have to break in two new guys on the right side of the line again next year.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I like the decision. I was a fan of Butler's, was rooting for him to win the spot. However, Newton looks like the road grater we need on the right side. He's strong & athletic... & the game doesn't look too big for him.

What mistakes we've seen, can be attributed to having to play both sides & with a revolving door at the spots next to him. Just like Wade Smith when he first got here. He didn't look all that good, hell, he looked like crap in the preseason.

But once the regular season started & the line-up was solidified, he had the best season of his career. I expect Newton to look much better in the regular season.

I'd have said the same thing about Butler, that he would look better in the regular season, but Newton looks more like a RT.

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I am getting DirecTV and a DVR today. The irritating thing about that is I didn't have it for the game on Saturday. There was one play where I believe Newton was called for holding. If anyone could post that video, I'd be most appreciative. He flipped the defender completely over. I laughed my ass off at the time. If you're going to hold, that's the way to do it, LOL.

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Is Butler 100% healthy?