Denver Offense 101

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans_Chick, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

U4ikrob likes this.
  2. Tex Trenches

Tex Trenches Veteran

Hey Texans Chick I just sent you an e-mail write me back if you are intrested.

3. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

The one cut and go mantra for the runningbacks is telling. I think this is the problem Morency is having from what I have read.

4. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

Nice read TC. I'm now officially too excited to wait any longer. :yahoo:

5. jmerog

jmerog Veteran

excellent as ussual, TC. You have a promising future as a sports journalist. I have enjoted your articles far more than those of justice or McClain. kudos

6. Texans_Chick

Hmmm, didn't get it. I'll check again later. :)

7. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

Thanks, TC! That certainly makes the draft and fa moves crystal clear. I can't wait for the season to start.
    Go Texans!

8. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Seems pretty clear the coaches will evaluate run blocking skills in their lineman as well as pass blocking, which has been the main focus on this board.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I've been saying we'll avg between 25 & 30 points......

This "blog" gives me evidence to support this gut feeling.

Thanks TC....

10. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

If your gut feeling is right we're going to win a lot of games this year :redtowel:

11. clandestin

clandestin Veteran

I wonder how the sports editor feels after having a fan waltz in to the room to provide the best Texans coverage the chronicle has had to date. Focusing on a how a new Texans' offense and defense may look instead of having an unhealthy obsession with local college players and former NFL organizations--Texans_Chick you are a genius! Love the column, keep up the good work.

12. bayoudreamn

bayoudreamn Veteran

Great column TC. Fact and humor in one big gulp. Excellent idea....maybe while you're holding Jr. for ransom you can get a raise from the Chronicle. I think they should double your salary!

13. Texans_Chick

I am guessing that there isn't much noticing by the big boss sports editors of what I'm writing. There was actually a bigtime delay in posting my last post because the online editor was bombarded with all things Roger Clemens and Rice University baseball. Maybe that will change some come football season.

As for "doubling my salary," one of the first things that really stuck with me about learning multiplication as a kid is that if you take zero, and you multiply it with anything else, you always end up with zero. :cool:

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Well maybe they'll triple your salary......

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Good article. Bronco Tim qualified his statement about not relying on the long ball, but to give an idea, here is a comparison of long gains:

The 1st number is 20+ yd receptions and the 2nd is 40+ yds. The order is by total passing yards.

Tom Brady 59/9
    Trent Green 51/11
    Brett Favre 40/7
    Carson Palmer 43/9
    Eli Manning 49/8
    Kerry Collins 49/6
    Peyton Manning 45/6
    Drew Bledsoe 42/9
    Drew Brees 46/4
    Matt Hasselbeck 41/7
    Jake Delhomme 44/13
    Jake Plummer 44/8
    Steve McNair 29/7
    Mark Brunnell 36/9

Rather than having a noticeably absent long game--the Broncos were right in line with other teams with only NE standing out in the long ball category.

U4ikrob likes this.
  16. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Kind of interesting about NE. Personally, they never come to mind if I were thinking about teams that go long a lot. Manning, Farve and maybe Cullpepper are the guys/teams that would be the one that one would expect, but not Brady and NE.

17. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Despite what some think, may be Houston this year. We have the receivers to do it.....

18. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Thank you. I've been trying to stress that fundamentals - ie. ball control with a strong running attack coupled with a consistent passing game - are the cornerstones of Denver's (and Kubiak's) gameplan.

Which leads me to a point about David Carr's role on the offense. We don't need him to be a superstar - one that is making huge passes and amazing runs. We need him to manage games, to read defenses and make the proper adjustment at the line, to see pressure and react accordingly. And I think DC is fully capable of playing that role on this team, and if anyone can teach him, it'll be Coach Kubiak.

But the running game is the first aspect, followed closely about protecting the pocket. Without that one-two tandem, the full effectiveness of this scheme falls apart.

Thanks, TC! Another excellent article on your part. :thumbup

19. GP

GP Go Texans!

It's because she loves the Texans, and those other guys seem to be writing about the Texans because they "have to" in order to get a paycheck.

It's beyond me why a newspaper bankrolls guys like McClain who honestly offer less about our team than what one of our own fans has been able to piece together. Keep it up, TC.

20. TemeculaMike

TemeculaMike Rookie

I'll grant you its basically the West Coast offense. But I think your article misses an important element of what makes the Broncos offensive system work.

As you can see by my Avatar, I am a Chargers (and Texans) fan and have first hand knowledge of what makes the Broncos system work. If I were writing your article I would rewrite this line:

With this

The Broncos-style offense is merely a crossof the so- called "West Coast Offense," popularized by Bill Walsh's San Francisco 49ers in the Nineties and dirty play of the Oakland Raiders.

At the heart of the Broncos offensive system is the "cut-block" and "chop-block." The Broncos offensive line strikes fear in the hearts and minds of opposing defensive lineman due to their penchant to cut-block when defensive players are not looking. By teaching their offensive linement to hit defensive players below the knee "...opposing defensive players start worrying about their knees and ankles. They lose a bit of their aggression and speed since they’re paranoid that some lineman is going to creep up on them and take out their legs. This has the benefit of slowing down the entire defense." (source)

I hope the Texans are successful and Carr stops setting records for most sacks against. The one area the Texans can improve is the o-line play and Kubiak will certainly help. Just be prepared for longer games do to injury time-outs when the Texans offense is on the field.

Runner likes this.