Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dennison/Bates?

According to the Houston Chronicle the favorites for the coordinators are Rick Dennison(Denver O-line coach) and Jim Bates(former Green Bay Defensive coordiantor). However, Dennsion is under contract....... Along with them other candidates are discussed such as Kyle Shanahan and David Diaz-Infante for assistant positions. They also discuss Alex Gibbs as a possible candidate for DC, if Dennison doesn't work out(Gibbs is under contract in Atlanta as a consultant). I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but hear ya go.

Bubbajwp

All Flopper
Sutton=08Heisman said:
According to the Houston Chronicle the favorites for the coordinators are Rick Dennison(Denver O-line coach) and Jim Bates(former Green Bay Defensive coordiantor). However, Dennsion is under contract....... Along with them other candidates are discussed such as Kyle Shanahan and David Diaz-Infante for assistant positions. They also discuss Alex Gibbs as a possible candidate for DC, if Dennison doesn't work out(Gibbs is under contract in Atlanta as a consultant). I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but hear ya go.
Do you mean OC

Texans Pride

Veteran
Bubbajwp said:
Do you mean OC
Yep OC, and I'd prefer Gibbs over Dennison. Gibbs brought the ol scheme of zone blocking to Denver, he then taught it to Dennison. I'd rather have the mentor than the mentee!

Grid

All Pro
about Dennison.. he may be under contract but Shanahan already agreed to let Kubiak take some staff with him. I dunno if Dennison is one of the ones he agreed to let go.. but it is rumored that he is.

my fingers are crossed for Bates.

FirstTexansFan

The Unknown Fan
Bates turned down a 1 million dollar a year offer from Linehan's new team today. Not sure how to interpret this one. He's either serious about wanting more money than that, or he's already made a gentlemans agreement with the Texans. I hope it's the latter.

Grid

All Pro
rumor has it that he is itching for a HC position..either in the pros or in college.. and it will take a pretty penny to get him as a coordinator.

Honoring Earl 34 said:
:redtowel: I wonder if Kyle is Mike's son ? Maybe Kubiak gets his picks of coaches if he gives Kyle a shot .
Kyle is Mike's son and was a roommate of Chris Simms at UT. I think Kyle was a receiver, but I do forget certain things. If Shanahan does come in how long will it take for the rumor mills to start that the Texans are trading Carr to the Bucs for Simms and their #1?

I still like Bates and either Gibbs or Dennison. I don't know if Shanahan will allow Dennison out of his contract since he doesn't seem to have anyone to fill the spot. I'm not sure how consultant contracts work, but Gibbs is a master and it would be awesome to have him on the sidelines.

FirstTexansFan said:
Bates turned down a 1 million dollar a year offer from Linehan's new team today. Not sure how to interpret this one. He's either serious about wanting more money than that, or he's already made a gentlemans agreement with the Texans. I hope it's the latter.
I read somewhere that he was more interested in the Texans job, but with so many stories flying about it could have been a rumor as well.

Texans Pride

Veteran
From this mornings Chonicle:

Jim Bates will not be the defensive coordinator, and odds are against Kubiak succeeding in his plan to get Broncos offensive line coach Rick Dennison out of his contract. Kubiak and Dennison are close friends, but coach Mike Shanahan won't allow Dennison to leave.

The consolation may be that the Texans get Alex Gibbs, one of the greatest offensive line coaches in NFL history.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3607562.html

bckey

All Pro
I would like to see Gray or Singletary get the DC job. I still would like to see Mike Sherman get the OC job.

Spoda

Waterboy
i heard this morning on 610 that dennison will not be allowed out of his contract....but it was from skip to my fizzle...so ...take that for what it's worth

O.G.

Waterboy
Texans Pride said:

Jim Bates will not be the defensive coordinator, and odds are against Kubiak succeeding in his plan to get Broncos offensive line coach Rick Dennison out of his contract. Kubiak and Dennison are close friends, but coach Mike Shanahan won't allow Dennison to leave.

The consolation may be that the Texans get Alex Gibbs, one of the greatest offensive line coaches in NFL history.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3607562.html
Until Jim Bates is signed elsewhere, there is always a chance in my opinion. I like Gray, but I like Bates alittle more. Plus, what head coach college job would he want to be at, not alot of Options out there.

bdiddy

Waterboy
According to John McClain neither Dennison (because Shanahan will not let him out of his contract), nor Bates are coming. He talked about trying to get Gibbs to come from the Falcons. Sounds like Kubiak is struggling to get the big name DC hirer.

A source close to the team tells me that Jerry Gray was not pleased with being brought in as a HC candidate only to hear that he is being considered for the DC position. Not sure he is still in the picture, either.

Jack Bauer

Rookie
Gibbs won't be OC, but he may be the OL coach if they can't get Dennison out of Denver. I think this will have something to do with what happens with Heimerdinger in New York. I don't think Shanahan will stand in Dennison's way of getting a promotion. If Heimerdinger does not go to Denver, Dennison will be promoted to OC.

O.G.

Waterboy
Jack Bauer said:
Gibbs won't be OC, but he may be the OL coach if they can't get Dennison out of Denver. I think this will have something to do with what happens with Heimerdinger in New York. I don't think Shanahan will stand in Dennison's way of getting a promotion. If Heimerdinger does not go to Denver, Dennison will be promoted to OC.
Didn't think about that, but we still need a DC, a good one at that. I still think Gray would be willing to come here. Bates as well. As with every thing, money talks.

The key may be to give Bates or Gray that Assistant Head Coach title to go along with the DC title. You have to pay a little better, but you don't want to bring in a bad guy. If Kubiak were a defensive guy he could go without a coordinator this year and make a run at someone next year, but there's no way to do that with his current background.

edo783

Hall of Fame
TexanBacker93 said:
The key may be to give Bates or Gray that Assistant Head Coach title to go along with the DC title. You have to pay a little better, but you don't want to bring in a bad guy. If Kubiak were a defensive guy he could go without a coordinator this year and make a run at someone next year, but there's no way to do that with his current background.
Ding, Ding, Ding, I think we have a winner. Both Grey and Bates have their noses out of joint at not being in the running for the HC job at their home teams and are probably POed at the world right now. Give them the Asst. HC title and some cash and they will likely be willing. Maybe not both of them, but one will/should be willing.

cadahnic

Rookie
I think Bates is still an option and Gray is a little less of an option. Bates wants that HC job so he would only want to be here for 2-3 years tops, and could bolt after next year. Dennison will take some doing, but Shanahan may be willing to part ways with him. If not look for a guy like Tim Brewster to come in as the OC. He was the TE coach in Denver and SD, and he is a great talent evaluator. He is the kind of guy you want in your organization and he does alot of the draft evaluations for Denver. Ohh he also is partly responsible for bringing the "god of football" VY to UT.

cadahnic

Rookie
I think if you tell bates we will trade down and give you Mario Williams he will look at our roster and say hot damn. He has the big time corner, a solid LB in Wong and serviceable in Greenwood. Orr is a playmaker on the rise and at the OLB spot could really help against the run. Then he looks at the trenches and sees Payne and Walker to big runstuffing guys and Robaire and TJ two 1 gap penetrators and then Babin and Peek to really get after the QB and he says you know maybe if I turn this unit into a serious one I am an HC by 07

W

whiskeyrbl

Chronicle reports Shannahan will not let Dennison go and Bates will not be the DC

cadahnic

Rookie
Yes the Chron did say that, but the Chron also said our new faster defense will be a nice switch. We have all been wrong, but the Chron is a bit sensationalist in its reporting. Not saying they do not provide good credible info, but until Bates is officially said not an option or signs somewhere else he is an attractive DC for the Texans. Unless he thinks he can land the Oakland job.

Despite what the Chronicle reports, there have been reports in Denver that Shannahan would consider it.

Who knows what to believe really, but the Chronicle is hardly the best source. :twocents:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Texans Pride said:

Jim Bates will not be the defensive coordinator...
I wonder why? Did Kubiak not want Bates? Is Bates eyeing another DC gig? Or the Raiders HC vacancy? Was it over the $$$ the Texans offered?

A little elaboration from McClain would've been nice.

Lucky said:
I wonder why? Did Kubiak not want Bates? Is Bates eyeing another DC gig? Or the Raiders HC vacancy? Was it over the $$$ the Texans offered?

A little elaboration from McClain would've been nice.
I think it was just him talking personally.

bdiddy

Waterboy
Pure Speculation, please do not take as absolute truth.

From a source close to the team, Kubiak does not want Bates because Bates does not run a 3-4. Kubiak wants a guy that is familiar with both the 3-4 and the 4-3 schemes. Apparently, the initial plan is to evaluate the Texans current talent to maintain the 3-4 scheme, at least temporarily. The Texans are planning to focus the draft and FA on the offensive side of the ball. Kubiak thinks he can have an immediate impact most quickly here. After evaluating the talent the team could choose to change schemes in 2007.

Also, did anyone notice the article on the Texans homepage in which Casserly was quoted as talking about D'Brick? I am hearing that no one has decided what we are doing with the first pick, including Kubiak.

O.G.

Waterboy
cadahnic said:
Yes the Chron did say that, but the Chron also said our new faster defense will be a nice switch. We have all been wrong, but the Chron is a bit sensationalist in its reporting. Not saying they do not provide good credible info, but until Bates is officially said not an option or signs somewhere else he is an attractive DC for the Texans. Unless he thinks he can land the Oakland job.
My point exactly

bdiddy said:
Pure Speculation, please do not take as absolute truth.

From a source close to the team, Kubiak does not want Bates because Bates does not run a 3-4. Kubiak wants a guy that is familiar with both the 3-4 and the 4-3 schemes. Apparently, the initial plan is to evaluate the Texans current talent to maintain the 3-4 scheme, at least temporarily. The Texans are planning to focus the draft and FA on the offensive side of the ball. Kubiak thinks he can have an immediate impact most quickly here. After evaluating the talent the team could choose to change schemes in 2007.

Also, did anyone notice the article on the Texans homepage in which Casserly was quoted as talking about D'Brick? I am hearing that no one has decided what we are doing with the first pick, including Kubiak.
All well and good except who are they going to get who IS familiar with the 3-4? Wade Phillips is still under contract in San Diego isn't he?

cadahnic

Rookie
BDiddy not that I dont respect your source close to the team, because some people on this website have very good sources with the team, but Casserly has said publicly that they are switching to the 4-3. Yes they will likely, like most teams, run some 3-4 sets maybe moreso that most teams due to our build, but as you have said before and intelligent posters know it is easier for a 3-4 team to switch to 4-3 and be successful than the vice versa. Now I understand that Cass is a bit of a politician in his dealings, but publicly saying we are going to the 4-3 cannot really be disputed.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
cadahnic said:
BDiddy not that I dont respect your source close to the team, because some people on this website have very good sources with the team, but Casserly has said publicly that they are switching to the 4-3. Yes they will likely, like most teams, run some 3-4 sets maybe moreso that most teams due to our build, but as you have said before and intelligent posters know it is easier for a 3-4 team to switch to 4-3 and be successful than the vice versa. Now I understand that Cass is a bit of a politician in his dealings, but publicly saying we are going to the 4-3 cannot really be disputed.
Moreover, the residual value of Cass' statment is that we will need players to fit into the scheme. This will most likely foster trade talks from teams interested in the #1 that have players of value for a trade.

Not that this scenario will happen, but it does widen the pool of teams to deal with.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
O.G. said:
If we don't get Bates or Gray, what are our remaining choices for good DC with a good resume?
Great question. I have asked myself that for sometime. I still believe that Gray is the guy.

cadahnic

Rookie
That is a smart move by the Rams and something Linehan said he wanted to do in his press conference was get a guy that had a HC background to really deal with the Defense. As far as who will become the DC of our modest franchise it is up in the air. I mean there are alot of guys out there, if not mistaken Donnie Henderson, Gray(not sure how much of an option), Bates(ditto), a number of college guys, Hoke, and a slew of other guys that I really cant think of. Kubiak is gonna want someone who is aggressive and preaches stopping the run. I feel Bates is our best bet, but like Coach C. has said before I would not mind seeing Hoke or a sub-assistant get a shot at it. It gives you the scapegoat or the genius label I say why not take a shot and Hoke was feakishly successful at a big time program like Florida. I would have recommened Mike London if he was still around, but he is now the DC of Virginia I think.

cadahnic

Rookie
OG you might be right, but yes I was talking about Mike Sherman. And yes I do think he was an OC so I will remove him from that list.

O.G.

Waterboy
cadahnic said:
OG you might be right, but yes I was talking about Mike Sherman. And yes I do think he was an OC so I will remove him from that list.
No problem, hey he could make a good OC for us with Gibbs helping the Line's coach if interested. I had been preaching Sherman for the OC and Bates for the DC. Really as long as whomever that comes in brings a refreshing energy and confidence, I'm happy.

bdiddy

Waterboy
cadahnic said:
Pure Speculation

Casserly has never officially said the Texans are switching to a 4-3, he has said it is under consideration. I am just telling you what I am hearing. Obviously the team is sending out smoke signals.

Porky

Hall of Fame
cadahnic said:
Casserly hasn't said anything of the sort. I have heard or read just about every statement the man has ever uttered (ok I know get a life) and he has never said we will be running a 4-3 next year. I have heard him say IF we run a 4-3 next yr, then we have to get personell to suit the system. Please provide a link or other proof.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I have a sneaky feeling that if Gray turns us down, Hoke will be the DC. I was pimping him for that position last yr. I think he is the kind of guy we are looking for, and I say he is a dark horse canditate that might just win out.:stirpot:

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
Porky said:
I have a sneaky feeling that if Gray turns us down, Hoke will be the DC. I was pimping him for that position last yr. I think he is the kind of guy we are looking for, and I say he is a dark horse canditate that might just win out.:stirpot:
I hope we don't go there with a new HC who will be focused on the Offense. What did Hoke run at Florida?

bckey

All Pro
Porky said:
I like Hoke and was pimping him too. But that was under a whole different regime. I'd be a little worried to make him the dc with Kubiak being a rookie hc and possible having a rookie oc. The defense will most likely be under complete and total command of the dc because Kubiak is strictly offense so we really need experience there.

O.G.

Waterboy
bdiddy said:
Pure Speculation

Casserly has never officially said the Texans are switching to a 4-3, he has said it is under consideration. I am just telling you what I am hearing. Obviously the team is sending out smoke signals.
So Diddy, did they give any indication whom they are thinking of looking at?

cadahnic

Rookie
HOke ran a 4-3 at Florida. Also Diddy I get what you are saying that is why I said Cass's has stated it. Check with your source and he will tell you that Cass has been talking about the switch to a 4-3 since before he left for SA. I am not saying you are wrong, because "certain" people within the organization are saying we will run alot of 3-4, but Cass is saying otherwise. I will defer to you on it because I cannot give anything other than that.