Dennison/Bates?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Sutton=08Heisman, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Sutton=08Heisman

Sutton=08Heisman Veteran

According to the Houston Chronicle the favorites for the coordinators are Rick Dennison(Denver O-line coach) and Jim Bates(former Green Bay Defensive coordiantor). However, Dennsion is under contract....... Along with them other candidates are discussed such as Kyle Shanahan and David Diaz-Infante for assistant positions. They also discuss Alex Gibbs as a possible candidate for DC, if Dennison doesn't work out(Gibbs is under contract in Atlanta as a consultant). I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but hear ya go.

2. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Do you mean OC

3. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

Yep OC, and I'd prefer Gibbs over Dennison. Gibbs brought the ol scheme of zone blocking to Denver, he then taught it to Dennison. I'd rather have the mentor than the mentee!

4. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:redtowel: I wonder if Kyle is Mike's son ? Maybe Kubiak gets his picks of coaches if he gives Kyle a shot .

5. Sutton=08Heisman

Sutton=08Heisman Veteran

Ya sorry i meant OC. He was the old Oline coach in denver. I don't really know anything about Dennison...

6. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

about Dennison.. he may be under contract but Shanahan already agreed to let Kubiak take some staff with him. I dunno if Dennison is one of the ones he agreed to let go.. but it is rumored that he is.

my fingers are crossed for Bates.

7. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

Bates turned down a 1 million dollar a year offer from Linehan's new team today. Not sure how to interpret this one. He's either serious about wanting more money than that, or he's already made a gentlemans agreement with the Texans. I hope it's the latter.

8. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

rumor has it that he is itching for a HC position..either in the pros or in college.. and it will take a pretty penny to get him as a coordinator.

9. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

Kyle is Mike's son and was a roommate of Chris Simms at UT. I think Kyle was a receiver, but I do forget certain things. If Shanahan does come in how long will it take for the rumor mills to start that the Texans are trading Carr to the Bucs for Simms and their #1?

I still like Bates and either Gibbs or Dennison. I don't know if Shanahan will allow Dennison out of his contract since he doesn't seem to have anyone to fill the spot. I'm not sure how consultant contracts work, but Gibbs is a master and it would be awesome to have him on the sidelines.

10. TexanBacker93

I read somewhere that he was more interested in the Texans job, but with so many stories flying about it could have been a rumor as well.

11. SnakeOilTanker

SnakeOilTanker Veteran

Shannahan did play WR for Texas, he was the great white hope

12. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

From this mornings Chonicle:

Jim Bates will not be the defensive coordinator, and odds are against Kubiak succeeding in his plan to get Broncos offensive line coach Rick Dennison out of his contract. Kubiak and Dennison are close friends, but coach Mike Shanahan won't allow Dennison to leave.

The consolation may be that the Texans get Alex Gibbs, one of the greatest offensive line coaches in NFL history.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3607562.html

13. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

I would like to see Gray or Singletary get the DC job. I still would like to see Mike Sherman get the OC job.

14. Spoda

Spoda Veteran

i heard this morning on 610 that dennison will not be allowed out of his contract....but it was from skip to my fizzle...so ...take that for what it's worth

15. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

Until Jim Bates is signed elsewhere, there is always a chance in my opinion. I like Gray, but I like Bates alittle more. Plus, what head coach college job would he want to be at, not alot of Options out there.

16. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

According to John McClain neither Dennison (because Shanahan will not let him out of his contract), nor Bates are coming. He talked about trying to get Gibbs to come from the Falcons. Sounds like Kubiak is struggling to get the big name DC hirer.

A source close to the team tells me that Jerry Gray was not pleased with being brought in as a HC candidate only to hear that he is being considered for the DC position. Not sure he is still in the picture, either.

17. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Gibbs won't be OC, but he may be the OL coach if they can't get Dennison out of Denver. I think this will have something to do with what happens with Heimerdinger in New York. I don't think Shanahan will stand in Dennison's way of getting a promotion. If Heimerdinger does not go to Denver, Dennison will be promoted to OC.

18. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

Didn't think about that, but we still need a DC, a good one at that. I still think Gray would be willing to come here. Bates as well. As with every thing, money talks.

19. TexanBacker93

The key may be to give Bates or Gray that Assistant Head Coach title to go along with the DC title. You have to pay a little better, but you don't want to bring in a bad guy. If Kubiak were a defensive guy he could go without a coordinator this year and make a run at someone next year, but there's no way to do that with his current background.

20. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Ding, Ding, Ding, I think we have a winner. Both Grey and Bates have their noses out of joint at not being in the running for the HC job at their home teams and are probably POed at the world right now. Give them the Asst. HC title and some cash and they will likely be willing. Maybe not both of them, but one will/should be willing.