Demeco Ryans vs. Thomas Howard

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HJam72, May 4, 2006.

1. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

During the draft, I had a list of positions and the players expected to be picked in order at their positions. Like for instance:

QB: Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Tommy Lawlor, Charlie Whitehurst, Reggie McNeal, etc.

At OLB, I had Thomas Howard ahead of Demeco Ryans. I got this list off of the internet, obviously, but I just want to know how they compare. Was it close and just a matter of opinion? Is it mostly an attitude thing or does one have more potential and the other is more ready to play now? Howard went to the Raiders 5 choices later and was the next OLB to go.

It just occurred to me that this MIGHT be a 3-4, 4-3 thing, but the one site I just looked at on Howard didn't say what type of D he played in.

I just think this might be a good discussion and something to nit pick on instead of Williams vs. Bush, for a change.

2. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I think the big thing about Howard, atleast to the draft fans, is his measurables. People see a LB run a sub-4.5 40 and suddenly it's Jesus suiting up to play. It's no surprise that he went to the Raiders so early...from what I've read though, while Demeco isn't the athletic freak that Howard is, his instincts and intelligence should blow him out of the water.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Personally, I wanted Thomas Howard.

That way I could have my last name on the back of a Texans Jersey, that I didn't have to fake.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I liked Howard a lot myself , That guy can flat out play and is as much a physical freak as any player in this draft . Both these guy's have first round talent .

5. TexasJedi

TexasJedi Hall of Fame

This is what I have heard. As great an athlete as Howard is, he lacks the natural insticts of a linebacker like Ryans. It seems like the old regime looked more at measurables, while Kubiak is looking deeper at the football player behind the measureables. That's probably a simplistic answer, but I think it holds merit.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I agree with this .

7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

What about Williams? He has some of the most amazing measureables ever seen in a DE, but lacks that natural instict, they hope to coach

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Good post and I agree fully. I was so very happy with the Ryans pick. He has a Jon Vilma-like game and I watch many SEC contests....I personally think we need more guys like this and less guys who have "ideal measurables" but need time to work on their game.

9. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

You mean like Mario Williams? :tiptoe:

10. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

thomas howard had the better measureables no doubt...he ran faster...he's bigger...he looked more NFL ready...but everyone i've talked to had one thing about to say about ryans that makes me believe he will be the better OLB...ryans has football and linebacker instincts...howard they had question marks about his instincts...linebacking is all about instincts and speed...but when in doubt you go with the linebacker who has the better instincts...and that's why i believe ryans will be the better linebacker

11. Vinny

I've called him a workout warrior...but I wait to judge people based on the field, and don't just repeat second hand takes and assume the opinions of others as my own. I haven't seen him enough and trust me, I will be plenty critical of him and the Texans if he is ONLY a workout warrior long term. That first pick has zero to do with the fact that I am happy Demeco is here.

12. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I actually couldn't believe he was still there for us in the second. I was hoping for a lineman and when I saw we didn't get one I was mad then I realized who this dude was and was so happy.

13. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Sure, we have to wait to judge all of them on the field, Ryans included. I also see Ryans as sort of a poor man's Vilma. I think Vilma is the better player long term, but it's not as if Ryans won't be a solid LB, as I do think he will be. I am talking about their college portfolio, where the Texans have had a habit of picking based on potential, measurables, and combine performance as much or more, than actual production on the field in College. After Mario, it seems they picked football players this year, not guys who look great in shorts, track stars, or athletes with no position (Lord anyone?) I hope this trend continues, and I think Kubiak is the key difference.

14. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

I like the guy not just as a football player but as a person. That will take him a long way.

15. Tejaspro

Tejaspro Veteran

I'm not sure where you heard this, but all I have heard about Williams is the opposite. Coaches are saying that Williams has natural instincts that you just can't coach. :confused:

16. Mailman04

Mailman04 Veteran

Pro Football Weekly Draft Report had Ryans No. 4 OLB in draft, and projected to be drafted in rounds 1-2. They had Howard No. 6 OLB and second round projection.
    Sporting News had Ryans No. 3 OLB in draft and going in first round. They had Howard NO. 4 and going in second round.
    Street and Smith Draft Report had Ryans No. 3 OLB and Howard NO. 6.
    ESPN had Ryans No. 3 and going in Round 1 whlie Howard was No. 7 and going in Round 2.
    So all these publications had Ryans ahead of Howard.

17. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Everything I read about Williams says that he is "raw," posses incredible measureables, but often relies on his athleticism rather than technique

18. Vinny

I've seen Bama play enough to not call him a poor man's anything. He was always the best player on the field.

19. Grubber119

Grubber119 Rookie

If you saw Alabama and UTEP play this year you can see who the better player was. Ryans was the main reason Texas Tech couldn't do anything against Bama in the Cotton. For a guy who does have that great of measurables he sure made things happen.

Howard is a heck of an athlete but not as pure of a linebacker as Ryans. I think Howard would fit into the weak side outside linebacker in the 3-4.

After seeing Ryans play early in the year, I was hoping the Texans would get him but I didn't get the same feeling with Howard.

20. Mailman04

Mailman04 Veteran

As a sophomore, Ryans had 25 tackles in game I covered against Arkansas.