DeMeco Ryans prefers to be middle linebacker

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans34Life, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

Texans |
    Tue, 1 Aug 2006 05:13:57 -0700

Dale Robertson, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans LB DeMeco Ryans admits he prefers playing middle linebacker instead of one of the outside linebacker spots. Ryans practiced at middle linebacker Monday, July 31. Defensive coordinator Richard Smith said, "We're really pleased with what we saw in the minicamps and offseason work. DeMeco is very knowledgeable and was obviously well-coached in college. We think his movement skills are perfect for the position. He's smart. He'll handle it. He upgrades the athletic ability at the position."

2. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

3. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

"I'm just glad I have the opportunity to come out here and compete for a starting job. I'm trying to get better, to hone my skills. I like the middle, but it doesn't matter. I feel blessed to have the opportunity.
    "A lot of people wish they could be in your shoes. Honestly, I don't think I could have ended up in a better place."
    Wow, what a wonderful attitude !
    And as frustrating and disconcerting as this rash of injuries early in TC are, there's an upside: your young players like DeMeco, our future, get on the field sooner rather than later to gain necessay and valuable experience.
    I feel the same way about the situation with DD. I'm fine with one of the rookies starting in DDs place against the Eagles. Therefor I say forget about trying to get Bennet or another vet RB to play in DDs place. Rather let the young guys including the rookies play, let them start in the regular season opener !

4. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Titan Fan, I hope you just read what you wrote and realized you are completely off. MLB has more responsiblity than anyone on the field. They make the defense calls, get everyone into the right place and in our particular type of defense are responsible for a multitude of zone and read options. Come on I expect better from you!!

5. Titan "Tack" Fan

Titan "Tack" Fan Hall of Fame

saying that he wants to be MLB because it is easier is trolling?

6. TransplantTexan1

TransplantTexan1 Rookie

I'm a big DeMeco Ryans fan. Even if he hasn't played a single down as of yet. His whole attitude and demeanor makes it easy to cheer for him.

Coach C. likes this.
  7. wags

wags Hall of Fame

www.kffl.com

Maybe this has been posted already

8. CoastalTexan

CoastalTexan Veteran

So that means Greenwood and Orr on the sides for now if Wong doesnt get back in time? If so that looks pretty good.

9. Wolfiegrrl

Wolfiegrrl Wonder Woman

I would love to see Demeco Ryans turn out to be a great rookie like Seattle's Lofa Tatupu. :francis: :yahoo: :redtowel:

10. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I really think Demeco is gonna turn out to be the steal of the draft

:yahoo:

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

No, it's just silly. How is MLB easier? As pointed out above, this requires him to call the plays in addition to dealing with OLmen more frequently.

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Since some folks tend to repeat commentators and draftsperts on Ryans' size to play MLB, here is a list of the guys who have made the pro-bowl the last two years at MLB which shows plenty of guys playing MLB at an elite level at or near Ryans' size (6' 1" 236 lbs--reported by one of the Texans' coaches as up to 239 lbs):

Al Wilson 6' 240 lbs
    Jonathan Vilma 6'1" 230 lbs
    Zach Thomas 5' 11" 228 lbs
    Lofa Tatupu 5' 11" 238 lbs
    James Farrior 6' 2" 243 lbs
    Dan Morgan 6' 2" 245 lbs

Brian Urlacher 6'4" 258 lbs
    Jeremiah Trotter 6'1" 262 lbs
    Ray Lewis 6' 1" 250 lbs

That's only one guy substantially taller and 3 of 9 significantly (more than 5%) heavier.

13. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

As much as I was not happy about Rainer going down with an injury, it may prove a blessing in disguise as it accelerates Ryans' role in our defense. I believe Ryans will secure the starting job sometime this year, if not by the end of camp.

14. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

Yeah, I dont see his size being that much of an issue. I think he will do just fine. I like the idea of the future leader of our defense out there come opening day, along with Dunta and mario.
    All class guys in my opinion. How could you not like where this team is headed?!:challenge