DeMeco Ryans...Overpaid?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CretorFrigg, Nov 10, 2011.

1. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

I hate to be the guy who points it out, but is DeMeco Ryans overpaid? He doesn't play in dime packages, and I don't even see him on the field much anymore. He's not as fast or explosive as he once was, yet he's being paid like a superstar and not producing like one.

Through 9 games, he only has 21 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 2 pass defensed.

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

We might not see the old Demeco until next year. A ruptured Achilles is one of the last injuries you ever want to get, especially if you are a football player.

Chances are he won't live up to his contract this year. But we all knew that when he went down last year.

If he were healthy, we'd probably never go to our "Dime package"

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I've always assumed he wouldn't be all the way back from his injury till next season. I've seen him play pretty well at times this year.

4. Blake

Blake MMQB

Albert Haynesworth is overpaid.

Chris Johnson is overpaid.

Roy Williams is overpaid.

DeMeco Ryans is not overpaid.

5. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

That's what I'm worried about. Are we to assume he's going to fully recover and become the DeMeco Ryans that used to dominate?

...will he ever recover and play at the same level again?

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Do you see the freaking brace on his arm? If you do, you don't understand how limiting that is?

Do you advocate dumping a stellar player over a temporary issue?

Dude is solid when hobbled, a general of the D. When back in full form he and Cushing will be the best ILB duo in the NFL.

Cushing is an emotional leader. DeMeco is an intellectual leader. And both are sideline to sideline players when healthy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    SeƱor Stan likes this.
  7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

:kitten:

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

he's a premiere player so I think I'd be patient. Cushing looked bad last year nursing some injuries and whatnot. Look at him play now, all healthy and all.

9. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

Right on. The Texans couldn't tackle the backside of a barn without Demeco
    last year. He's not a liability out there, and he and Jonathan Joseph keep
    their teammates' heads in the game. It doesn't show up in a stat sheet, but you
    can't measure the value of that leadership.

dc_txtech likes this.
  10. Kthx

Kthx All Pro

I guess its sorta hard to think about to two seasons ago and watching DeMeco be the general on the field, directing players where to lineup, where the ball would be ending up, if he saw signs of a rush or a pass play. I remember those days and I think they will happen again. Even if he has forever lost a step you can't get rid of someone who has the football IQ that he has, and the respect from the team that he has. He made our terrible defense show flashes of brilliance single handedly, I refuse to say the guys overpaid.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

You werent the first .... so dont feel bad , was discussing this situatoin wint Beerlover in the mock draft section last week

I do think they should be patient with him and see if he returns to form next season. But if he doesnt show significant recovery thats a lot of money going to a guy who gets limited playing time now that Cushing is the guy in both nickle and dime packages.

He's been on the field for as few as 17 plays in a game ....

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Hopefully Ryans will return to 100% and he is getting better. The arm injury is just added to the leg injury. In my mock draft, I do select a first round ILB for insurance and to build depth. We now have a team that we should be drafting BPA soon.

13. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Have you seen the brace on his arm? I don't think he can fully extend his arm at this point. It isn't a talent issue. It is a health issue. And he is still playing at a very high level.

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!

He's currently hampered by injuries and he's still a nice thumper against the run. He'll eventually be back and when he is, it'll be even more fun to watch our ILB's.

15. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

It's not like the Texans can do anything about it. He's in the second year of a big deal so the guaranteed money probably won't run out for a couple more years. Give him time, he will get back to form by the beginning of next year.

16. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

After reading CND's take on recovery, I am very worried that he may never return to the same level.

How can so many of you guys sound so certain he'll get back to his old self?? Don't get me wrong, I hope he does but it's no where even close to a guarantee.

Luckily he shown he can still play well enough even when not completely healthy. He is one of my favorite players, I hope he does recover fully.

17. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

He may never fully recover and be back to his best.

But he should be able to keep getting better until sometime next season. So as good as he is now, he should definitely be able to get better even if he doesn't get up to the same level he was.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I dont dispute that Cak .... but thats a lot of cap space tied up in a guy who is only on the field in the base defense.

If he's not healthy and isnt contributing at a level comparable to his pay do you continue to pay him or do you cut your losses and sign a FA at a reasonable cost or even a draft pick which would be making considerably less ?

If he's healthy there is no question you keep him .... but thats not the case here.

19. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

There's no need to cut him. He's playing and contributing. If we do cut him, he'll just be dead money counting against the cap.

So let's give him a chance to recover. If he can regain 90-95% of his previous playing ability, it will be a boon for our defense to have him beside Cush and he'll be worth every penny.

20. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I think 85% was about the typical recovery of former ability. Regardless, I still take that, his intelligence and instincts are top notch.