DeMeco Ryans is performing like a Pro Bowl player again

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Vinny, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ro_Bowl_player_again.html#XB5xm3QvUstpfEFg.99

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Better MLB than Cushing, IMO. He was under-appreciated when he was here.

3. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

Buy high, sell low, that is the motto of the Texans GM.

thunderkyss likes this.
  4. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

That's great for DeMeco. He's a stand up dude. I'm glad for him.

5. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

DeMeco may be the best leader I've ever seen on a defense and I was sad to see him go. But as far as the Texans were concerned he's better suited as a 4-3 MLB when healthy, and I'd say his PFF ratings bear that out. It's nice to see him healthy and contributing. Will be interesting to see if Philly pays him ~$7 million next year.

ILBs for defenses that can't get off the field (or whose offenses post lots of 3 & outs/turnovers) are at the top of the tackles rankings because they're taking more defensive snaps. DeMeco leads the NFL in ILB defensive snaps(note: Eagles bye week is 11/24). Eagles are second worst in yards allowed with 417 yards*/game, ahead of only Dallas after the Cowboys allowed 623 & 625 yards in 2 of last 3 games.

*2012 Saints hold record for most yards at 440/game

6. Rey

Rey Guest

Was about to post something similar.

Demeco would have been a nice player to have on a cheaper contract, but he's not worth that money. Unfortunately, Cushing has never played Andrew luck in the nfl so it kind of leaves a big hole at mlb for two years running. And who knows what injuries he'll suffer in the future.

7. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I have always liked DeMeco and wish him the best in Philly. Even better that he's on a Cowboys rival, so no problem rooting for him team, as well!

8. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Always an AFC fan with no team to follow in the "senior" conference, the Eagles
    are now my go-to-NFC team with both DeMeco & Barwin starting for them and also with former Texans Casey and Maehl on their roster. And it's ironical that DeMeco is back to his former pro-bowl form in Phillys 3-4.

9. Double Barrel

This boggles my mind. I did not realize Philly was running a 3-4 until this article.

I remember all the 'experts' saying he would never be a good fit in a 3-4 defense.

Guess it all depends on how he's used.

10. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

One of my favorite players to watch ever since his days at Bama. It was a dumb move then and even dumber now. ILB has been an issue ever since.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Sure is a whole lot of hindsight to bash everything about the Texans going on around here.

Lets take a giant step back and even not make this DeMeco specific. As a general matter every time there is an injury there is a large group who say the player will never be the same, of course at least imagine it is true and are unwilling to wait long enough to be proven wrong. AJ has been a common target with folks going so far as to suggest he is no longer really a #1 WR and really is only getting his production by being wiley and schemes (from our crappy coach).

Some folks were correctly pointing out Ryans made great strides in getting back to his old form as the season progressed but there was a large and vocal faction that DeMeco had lost a step, no longer had the range for the job and was being paid way too much. If you were in the latter group then the Texans agreed with you and you should STFU about the decision.

/rant

thunderkyss likes this.
  12. Double Barrel

I just read the trade thread, and there were a lot of folks unhappy with the decision. Vinny made a ton of great points (among other posters).

Others rationalized it due to salary, even though they didn't like it.

A few were complete homers and thought the Texans could do no wrong.

Didn't he have a good performance in the two 2011 playoff games?

And let's be honest: 2-7 is a crappy team that deserves harsh criticism. This team is pretty much done for the year in November, which is never a good thing for team or fans.

13. Rey

Rey Guest

Demeco was very good for us towards the end in wades 34.

For me it wasn't about 34 fit. It was about how he and his contract fit with the team. His usage didn't justify that big contract IMO. But on a cheaper contract I'd have loved to have kept demeco.

14. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

Yeah, I recall being a little pissed with DeMeco being traded. My post in that thread:

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

A couple posts of mine from the thread DB mentioned. My thoughts haven't changed a lick. Bad trade

16. Rey

Rey Guest

Maybe direct some if that ranting towards the actual organization that makes these decisions instead of other fans.

Seems like you're more ticked at the fans commenting on the moves the organization makes than the actual ****ty moves being made.

17. Double Barrel

I understand the contract point. However, I think it is imperative to figure out a way to make room to sign a clear locker room leader that still had a lot of football in him.

I have alway been under the impression that it was both contract and DeMeco not being good for a 3-4 (even though he looked good in Wade's D like you said).

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

No for two reasons. One in this specific instance I disagreed with the team but I don't think it was a huge gaff - they had to make a judgment call and there were reasons for the way they went. Two, as a general matter I was commenting on some fans - nobody in particular which is why I did not quote anyone.

Since everyone is doing it, my position:

Many folks were assuming DeMeco would not get better and CnD, no offense, wasn't supporting any confidence calling the chance of improvement a miraculous exception:

Yes DB the Texans are sucking at 2-7. As I have said on other subjects and as was the intent on this one - that doesn't mean they f'd up everything they touched. If you were OK with the decision then, you should be OK with it now.

19. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

DeMeco was the odd man out when Wade Phillips arrived on the scene because Wades D scheme called for just one full-time ILB and as good as Demeco was in that full-time role Cushing was better. And since DeMeco had received a fat, new contract just the year before Wades arrival, it just wasn't feasible
    cap wise to keep such an expensive part-time LB on the roster. Texans made the right decision back then, and it is still the right decision today.
    EOS !

20. Double Barrel

I agree, man. But having been through these kind of sucktastic seasons, we know the level of bitching is going to reach Biblical proportions. Unfortunately, some of the more logical and constructive analysis gets lost in the white noise of massive complaining.

The ones I just don't get is the reflective calls to fire Kubiak in 2010, like the past two playoff seasons never happened, and like wanting him fired after 6-10 was some kind of badge of honor.

I would never trade the past two seasons, and honestly, I will always think positive of Kubiak for those two seasons regardless of how things pan out. It doesn't give him free pass this season, but I'm not going to act like 2011 & 2012 were not a blast and were not great for this franchise, city, and fanbase. Kubiak is behind our first winning season, first playoffs (and wins), and first division titles, so I will not lose my objectivity in that regard.

And I know you're not pointing fingers at anyone specific, but I'm trying to sort through the various perspectives to find the nuggets of gold. Although I dislike being in agreement with some folks, just as a matter of principle.

So yeah, now my [/rant] :D

dc_txtech likes this.