Demeco Looks Very Unhealthy

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Have you guys been watching him? I can't believe how ineffective he is right now. I would be concerned about his lack of quickness and lateral pursuit to the ball if I wasn't so focused on his inability to use his arm and make a tackle. Do you guys have any info on what his elbow injury was, exactly? And, what are your thought about his performance so far?

CND: What kind of elbow injury could have occurred over a month ago and still be braced up and as limited as it is? I'm thinking it must be something requiring surgery...

Here's video lowlights of Demeco's play vs. Miami that has me concerned.

2. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

IIRC, he has bursitis in his elbow. It was discussed in another thread.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001456/

3. The Cush

The Cush All Pro

Anyone else notice that Cushing wears the helmet that receives the calls from the sidelines?

4. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Yes. Ryans is going off the field on 3rd downs so Cush is calling the defensive plays.
    It's starting to look like CnD is right again about an injury.

5. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Sharpton should be starting instead of Ryans untill Ryans looks like Ryans its kinda sad seeing him out there like this.

6. House of Pain

House of Pain Knee-jerkless

Is it too soon or way overdue that Texans fans start a campaign to join the Texans medical staff? I've only been on TT for a few years, and Cloak has been spot on with all 'guesses' about the medical conditions of our players.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  7. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Punctuation is a good thing. It makes posts easier to read and comprehend. :D

Better late than never. It's got my vote.

8. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I'm sure the people that the Texans have diagnose just fine, they just don't enforce what they see. Have you not seen Any Given Sunday.

9. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

There really isn't much incentive to look after a player's long-term health and well being. The player is a commodity and it's either producing or costing. The biggest concern they have is can he play, and if not, for how long.

10. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

I hate to say it, but I'm a bit concerned about the Texans evaluation of injuries as well. Demeco wants to be out there, but at what point does he become a liability instead of an asset? Sharpton looked pretty good in the pre-season, and I have no doubt he could probably do a better job right now considering that massive thing Demeco is wearing. Its making me uncomfortable just watching him trying to tackle out there. Imagine how he feels trying to take on blocks and then make tackles. In a 3-4 the MLBs have to fight through more OL to get to the ball as well especially with no one in the middle able to take on a double team.

11. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

CND warned us months ago that Ryans achilles injury was more serious than fans wanted to believe and advised that something like 80% of all players with this type of achilles injury come back considerably slower than preinjury. Everyone wants to believe that Ryans will come back 100% but it just doesn't look like it. DocBar is right players are commodities and teams want to know when they're injured, how long they'll be out, and when and if they'll be back and at what level. As much as we all love Ryans it may be time to look for a replacement, and JMO but Sharpton ain't it. Sharpton is to small to play ILB in a 3-4 system. Dobbins would be a much better temp. replacement. I guarantee the Texans are also thinking about the guaranteed money left in Ryans contract. Anyone know how much money was guaranteed in his last contract and how much is left to be paid?

12. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

I think it will be a year before we know how good Ryans is going to be again.

I think back to all the serious injuries I've seen happen to players over the last few years and they never seem to play very well first season back.

Think of OD last year, probably not a guy you'd keep around if you didn't know what he was capable of once 100%.

Kevin Walter had a season ender and wasn't very good the following year.

Dunta Robinson, however we feel about that guy, whether it was to force a move or what, didn't perform the year after his injury.

I'm sure its going to hurt in the short term but we need to give DeMeco that space and time to get better, because we all know how good he can be when he comes back.

There is a saying in football (soccer) about how players who never had much pace in the first place come back after a leg break better than those who had pace to begin with. Well from what I know of Meco he was never all that physically gifted but he used what he had to the best of his ability. I hope that holds true here.

13. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

That's what I was alluding to in post #9. I hope Sharpton can at least hold his own this season. I went into the season not counting on much from Demeco.

REAL football fans call that girly sport kickball.:kitten:

As far as Demeco's injury, reading what CnD has posted, it doesn't appear that achille's injuries follow the same timelines as other injuries.

14. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

From what I remember of CND's post on achilles injuries, this isn't the type of injury that you come back from at 100% ever. It's not a matter of taking a long time to heal and being patient. From what I remember it's a matter of being permanently slowed by the injury.

15. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

I thought he looked good in Week 1. Was active, in on a bunch of tackles, etc. Week 2 he was a freakin' ghost.

16. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I don't understand what you're trying to show in your video. In pretty much all of your clips Demeco gets taken out by a blocker.

1. In play 1 he looks to hit a hole that is quickly filled by a blocker and he is redirected. He gets to the ballcarrier too late. Not related to elbow as far as I can tell

2. In play 2, its a screen. RB plus two blockers vs one tackler (Ryans). He gets taken out by a blocker, no chance at the RB. Not related to elbow as far as I can tell

3. In play 3 he busts through the line with no trouble and forces Henne into a throw while going backwards and it winds up a pass about 10 yards short. Great play by Ryans

4. Play 4 he breaks through the line with no trouble, but the RB takes a sidestep to avoid his tackle and Ryans is left with a hand hold on him and its not enough to bring him down. Missed tackle, maybe related to elbow

5. I'm not sure what we're supposed to see in this one. He's picked up by a blocker and a hole is created next to him. With only 3 lineman and both our OLBs on the outside, we're not going to need ILBs to occupy blockers on their way to the RB as well. I don't see how this is related to the elbow either

6. Same thing as number 5

In 5/6 examples I don't see the injury having anything to do with his lack of tackles. What I saw was an ILB who isn't familiar with the 3-4 and who is making great reads but getting stopped by blockers. When your 3-4 lineman are rushing the passer and your OLBs are rushing the passer and the opposition runs up the middle, its going to be difficult for a guy like Ryans to get a tackle if he attacks the line like that. He's going to run in to blockers and let guys like Cushing clean up the rest. Ryans looks like himself from the 4-3 days when he had the ability to get to the ball carrier without going through 1-2 lineman every time. I don't see any hindrance of the elbow from these clips except MAYBE in clip 4. But even that is something of a reach because the RB put a good move on him and he was left to tackle with his arms. How many times has Arian done that to excellent tacklers with no injuries at all

17. drunkcookie

drunkcookie 2 drunk 2 cook

Honestly it looks like his elbow is bothering him more than anything... I really don't see him being that much slower... maybe I need to have a look at the games again, but his speed, quickness and change of direction don't look too terrible for a guy coming off of that injury... 100%? No, but I wasn't expecting that...

I believe CND's post everyone's referencing had the number of "58%" or so in it... I believe it was the average level of production that players with this injury end up reaching after coming off the injury? Compared to their previous production, of course... Very interesting and depressing number, but I forget how that number was reached... Obvioiusly, to be at 58%, there had to have been some higher levels achieved... also, how many were career ending (obviously those would be 0%ers, dragging the average down quite a bit)? But still, a sad number...

But like I said, 'Meco doesn't look "too" horrible right now for a guy coming off of an injury like this, but he has for sure lost something...

As for CND being the new team doctor for the Texans, that would be awesome to have one of our own there to come here and post MRIs etc..., but would he really make that big of a difference? You don't think the current team doctors say "This is what's wrong, I'm thinking he needs to sit out 3-4 weeks" though the player ends up playing that week anyway? The coaches just come back with "But physically, can he play?".. Doctor: "Sure but I..." Coaches: "Thanks...."

That's all over the league, btw, not just here in Houston...

18. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Put down the :koolaid: and step away from the keyboard. Demeco looks nothing like the Demeco of old. Saying he looks slower is being kind. He looks slower, weaker and more tentative. I'm sure slower and more tentative explains the weaker impression, but nevertheless, it's not good.

19. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I agree with that. He was making hits with a grudge. I agree with Vinny that he's underutilized as a pass rushing MLB.

20. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

He's obviously not what he used to be. That's a beast.

I remember when this guy was right there with Willis as top young ILBs and the injury no doubt has slowed him down as well as switching to a new defense.

BUT he has not looked bad or horrible. He's just not what we expect out of him but the thing about Meco is he's a much more mental player and technical player I think once the elbow heals up and that brace comes off we'll see something a bit more familiar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.