Defying FO: Can The Texans Buck Advanced Statistical Analysis

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jul 26, 2010.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

.................And Make The Playoffs?

Evidently, Football Outsiders 2010 Almanac has given the Texans 5.6 projected mean wins.

This writer summarizes each on of the five reasons that FO thinks the Texans will be worse than they were last year.

[Clink LINK)

2. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Rivers McCown wrote it for SBNation. He's a newish voice on the Houston Texans blogger scene, and he's KILLING it. You guys should bookmark that site and keep reading his stuff for sure.

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yep! I follow him on twitter so I can read all his stuff. Classic!

DiehardChris likes this.
  4. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

These are some flaws in the formula I've detected:

-Does strength of schedule really mean anything? We all know the Steelers had the toughest schedule when they won the Super Bowl a few years ago. And so often we see teams (including our Texans) play down to their competition.

-Weather is impossible to factor in this formula. On any given weekend the weather conditions can weaken an opponents' assumed advantages over another. (Hate to use the Steelers again as an example but) Did FO factor in the weather when the Steelers beat the winless Dolphins 3-0 on MNF in the mud? Of course not.

-Injuries are a part of the formula. One thing I thought was interesting was when the article asserted that "the Texans WILL have more injuries in 2010 compared to 2009." Thats an outrageous claim with no tangible evidence other than league trends to back it up. I don't care what stats you use, injuries to an NFL team cannot be predicted with calculated numbers.

-Numbers don't always tell the truth in the NFL. Clearly this formula relies on statistical evidence. But how often does statistical evidence tell the truth about what's happening on the field? Guys get tackle stats for merely being in the area of a play. Another example, say player A goes unblocked on a snap and gets a sack. And lets say Player B was the one tying up the blockers who allowed Player A to get the sack. Well lets say Player A signs with another team in the offseason. He carries all the credit for that sack with him to the next team when it really belong with player B. But Football Outsiders says "Wow player A got a sack that makes his new team that much better in our formula." Thats a glaring flaw.

Cjeremy635 likes this.
  5. CloakNNNdagger

Certainly, I don't know for sure. But one thing they may be looking at is how many of the base roster is coming back off of 2009 injuries.........making them higher risk for reinjury in 2010.

6. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

It's utterly useless to use data from the previous year to predict the future.
    Teams don't have the same players they did.
    They are coaching changes that will affect the level of play of some team

7. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

"-Injuries are a part of the formula. One thing I thought was interesting was when the article asserted that "the Texans WILL have more injuries in 2010 compared to 2009." Thats an outrageous claim with no tangible evidence other than league trends to back it up. I don't care what stats you use, injuries to an NFL team cannot be predicted with calculated numbers."

I somewhat disagree with this part of your post. Sure, freak injuries are unpredictable. But depending on how tough a coach runs a training camp, and how good the S&C/training staff are, also plays a role in the team's injuries.

8. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

How many wins did they project for us last season?

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

7-9

I called it.

Make fun of me later, but I dont want to hear the usual excuse why the Texans didn't make the playoffs Uncle BoB.

10. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Neither of these were mentioned as factors in the formula but I agree they would make sense. This is what the article says about injuries:

The bold part is what I'm objecting to. So because we were the 8th healthiest team in football last year, what goes up must come down and we'll be an injury-nagged team this year? Thats quite a reach.

And I have a discrepancy with their "healthiest football team" ranking. That doesn't measure the importance of the injured players. A team could be the healthiest team in the league for a year but lost their starting QB week 1 and lose 12 games that season because of it.

drs23 likes this.
  11. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

I assume that you also follow me on Twitter, else I'll get my feelings hurt.

@HoustonDiehards :)

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Of course I do!

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I am willing to read any thought process concerning the Texans as long as it appears logical, research was done and it does not appear someone is being a homer or attacker. Most of us realise the team could go 5-11 or 11-5. I think this is the best roster we have had and if our draft picks are what front office thinks they are and Smith does well on Oline, we could be very good. Sure there are question marks but that can be said every off season at this time. Right now I am not concerned about injuries that might occur or other teams. If the players can do what the game plan says and Kubes improves on penalty flag decisions and game clock management (and he should), we will go beyond round one of play offs. Our offense should be just as good if not better and the D should improve quite a bit imo. I think we can have a 6-0 or 5-1 start. I fear no opponent this season.

14. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I like stats. A lot. They're good for telling you what happened. Not as good for telling you what will happen.

One reason NFL football is so difficult to predict is the sheer lack of statistically significant events. There are only 256 regular season games in a NFL season. As opposed to 2430 in a MLB season. There's not a lot of data to make predictions from.

Not to mention determining what data to use when running your models. Or if one set of data strongly affects another set. I had to laugh when I read this:

Really? Starting a 1st round rookie CB was a major determining factor in these teams not making the playoffs? Only 12 of the leagues 32 teams make the playoff in a given year (37.5%). 4 of the 15 teams starting 1st round rookie CB made the playoffs (26.7%) So the 10.8% difference is because of the 1st round CBs? Hell, just start a 2nd round or later CB, then.

There's a difference between losing Cushing for 4 games due to injury, and 4 games due to suspension. The Texans have the entire preseason to formulate a plan for this occurrence. The Texans know that they will be without Chester Pitts for the bulk of the season. Unlike last season. Does FO's modeling take that into account?

An equally valid model could be concocted that shows the Texans are more likely than not to become a playoff team. Just by selecting and/or discarding data that does or does not support the model. Attempting to use numbers only in determining what has happened is a daunting task. Attempting to use numbers only in determining what will happen is folly. What do your eyes see? Well, nothing yet. There hasn't even been a preseason game played. But, from what I've seen in the past, and what maneuvers I've witnessed in the offseason, this does not look like a team more likely to lose more games than they win.

I trust my eyes.

drs23, gtexan02 and michaelm like this.
  15. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Agree with your entire post, but this sums it up nicely.

16. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

Last year, they projected us to get 6 wins.

I love me some maths and I love me some statistics but I don't care how advanced the techniques are that you use, you gotta play the games. The biggest problem from projecting from last year's stats is that these are no longer last year's teams.

I love Football Outsiders but I'm not worried about their predictions.

17. sometexansfan

sometexansfan Blue Bomber

We had better or else... :bat:

18. CloakNNNdagger

19. CloakNNNdagger

I communicated with Football Outsiders concerning the basis of their "Team Health" analysis.

Dear Doc,

A variety of factors, including the team's health over the past few
    years and the nature of the injuries (e.g. if the injury record is
    mostly traumatic injuries like a torn ACL as opposed to nagging ones
    like a sprained ankle).

-Bill

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

So, what do we use to make us believe (those of us that do believe) that our team will finish better than they did last year?