Define 'blitz'

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Double Barrel, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

On this morning's show with Mark Vandermeer and Andre Ware, one of them mentioned that Kubiak said the team blitzed the Falcons 27 times.

A discussion ensued that turned into an argument between Mark and Andre. Ware kept insisting that a "blitz" is defined as bringing one more defender into a pass rush than the offense has blockers. For instance, he said, if the offense has five linemen and a TE, then the defense has to bring 6 defenders to technically make it a "blitz". He said anything else is considered "bringing pressure".

Mark argued that a blitz is anytime you bring someone for a pass rush that is not a lineman. He mentioned a 'zone blitz', where a lineman drops into coverage and the defense brings a LB or CB into the rush. Andre continue to insist that this is NOT a blitz, regardless of what anyone calls it, and it is strictly "bringing pressure" if there are not more defenders than blockers.

The debate got pretty heated, with Ware mentioning his 30 years of football experience and playing in the NFL. He got so upset that they cut to a commercial break to cool off. I was actually surprised that Andre Ware got so angry and he sounded offended that his knowledge was being questioned. Kind of a weird segment and a side of them that I've never heard before.

So what do y'all think? I've always thought a "blitz" was of Mark V's definition, especially in light of Kubiak saying that we blitzed ATL 27 times. No way is the HC saying that we brought more defenders than they had blockers 27 times.

I thought it might be a good topic for discussion.

mancunian likes this.
  2. real

real Guest

I think Andre is losing it.

If a LB or DB blitzes...

It's called a blitz...

3. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

That's twice now that the zone blitz has exposed him as a fraud. Obviously, the first time was as an NFL Qb!

4. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I define blitz, from my perspective when I am viewing, as you send more than the front of your scheme. Under that very loose definition of a blitz, in order for them to blitz 27 times they must have blitzed the whole second half because I did not see it in the first half.

However, the Falcons only scored 6 pts in the second half.

5. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

To me, a blitz has always been about bringing linebackers and/or DB's instead of just linemen. I have never heard there being a requirement that you have 1 more rusher than blockers to be considered a blitz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_American_football#B
    "blitz
    a defensive maneuver in which one or more linebackers or defensive backs, who normally remain behind the line of scrimmage, instead charge into the opponents' backfield. However, in the 3-4 defense, one linebacker typically rushes the passer with the three down linemen. This is not considered a blitz. If an additional linebacker is sent, bringing the total number of rushers to five, it is a blitz. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitz_(American_football)
    "In American football or Canadian football, a blitz, or quarterback rush, is a team defensive maneuver against an opponent's passing play in which the defense sends more players than the offense can block. Usually, blitzes are one or more linebackers or defensive backs, who normally remain behind the line of scrimmage during a play, but are instead sent across the line to the opponentÂ’s side in order to try to tackle the quarterback or disrupt his pass drop."

That second definition ALMOST supports Ware. Almost.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

By his definition a standard OL with two TE's can't be blitzed even if the whole front seven rushes. Anyway:

About Football

Link

7. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

They were blitzing in the first half, too.

But didn't they sit Petey in the second half?

8. real

real Guest

How do teams succesfully "pick up blitzes" if it is not a blitz unless you are bringing one extra defender?

In that case, on a blitz, shouldn't atleast one defender always be coming free ?

If we have four down linemen and a LB comes, is he not blitzing ?

No wonder Andre struggled as a QB.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

10. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

My take as well, all the way around.

See, this is what I thought, and the exact point that Mark was making. How does Tom Brady "pick up the blitz"? Andre replied that Brady is "picking up pressure", and then made the statement that Brady would agree with Ware's take.

I'm sending a link to this thread to Mark. :D

11. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I always thought that a blitz would be when one abandons coverage in order to rush the QB. This pretty much applies only to the defensive backs and the linebackers. I didn't really think that a lineman could blitz. What about teams running the 3-4 scheme? If that linebacker comes running after the QB then that has to be considered an abandonment of his duties to cover. Doesn't matter how many people are on the line. That's just what I always thought. I guess it's a lot more complicated than that now.

12. real

real Guest

Picking up pressure...???

LMAO...

13. real

real Guest

It's different with a 3-4 because of how the OLB's play...

If one of them comes it isn't a blitz.....

14. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

according to Andre Ware, a blitz is just like "offsides" in soccer...:confused:

15. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Then what is it?

16. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Bringing Pressure?

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I am sorry, that is incorrect. The correct answer isss.....Under Pressure.

[​IMG] :specnatz:

18. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I always defined it as when a player who normally doesn't rush the QB, does rush. In a 4-3, this means the LB's and/or DB's.

In a 3/4, OLB's also double as down lineman on pass plays, so I would not consider those players as blitzing players. But, if an ILB or DB rushed, then I would consider that a blitz.

That's the way I see it, and in this case I would side with the defintion given by Marc Vandemeer.

19. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but I most certainly am not. I sincerely want to know the answer. The game of football is a lot more complicated than one would be willing to submit to and it's just something that I have a passion for and want to improve my knowledge.

If you're not being sarcastic then... Isn't bringing pressure simply a blitz? Especially when it comes from a man who left coverage over the line of scrimmage to attack behind the line of scrimmage. Sounds like a blitz to me.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

20. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

HAHA funny.

in a 3-4 you usually have one or two LB rushing the QB on every single down because of the formation used. When an additional LB rushes the QB then it is called a blitz. Or if a Saftey or CB rush it is also a blitz.