Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Defensive Secondary 2011 NFL Draft

Jarrard Tarrant in the 3rd rd would be a great alternative to Carter or Moore in the 2nd. I've been watching him for the last couple of yrs. He's a good tackler and has the coverage skills that are better than any S currently on the Texans roster.

Steelb, Tarrant played only 8 games as a safety (?!?) is that correct?
If that's so, wouldn't it be better for him to stay for another year?
Maybe he has some special circumstance.
How did he look against Georgia?

I think he could play either, but I like McDaniel as a SS. I have him as my #2/3 safety overall (he is right there with Moore but behind Carter) and my #1 SS.

He has a SS build. I think he has the speed and athleticism for FS. He can really tackle. I just see him more as a SS with coverage ability than a ballhawk FS.

Like I said, I think he could really play either. But if we're looking for a true FS I would rather have Carter.

I think he could play either, but I like McDaniel as a SS. I have him as my #2/3 safety overall (he is right there with Moore but behind Carter) and my #1 SS.

He has a SS build. I think he has the speed and athleticism for FS. He can really tackle. I just see him more as a SS with coverage ability than a ballhawk FS.

Like I said, I think he could really play either. But if we're looking for a true FS I would rather have Carter.

I agree 100% with you on McDaniel. Very balanced SS that can really help us IMO. We should really look to get him with our second pick if we can.

Steelb, Tarrant played only 8 games as a safety (?!?) is that correct?
If that's so, wouldn't it be better for him to stay for another year?
Maybe he has some special circumstance.
How did he look against Georgia?

I remembered Tarrant from the 2009 season. He was very good at CB.

He switched over to FS in 2010 taking over for Burnett. Apparently it didn't go well. He does have great athletic ability. But appeared lost at times playing FS.

Texans need to draft the best proven ballhawk FS available instead of counting on the possibility they can convert a cb.

Texans need to draft the best proven ballhawk FS available instead of counting on the possibility they can convert a cb.

Yep

Carter or Moore in the 2nd would be the way I would go.

But history says Rick and Gary wont use a high pick on a S. Perhaps this would explain why the Texans secondary stinks yr after yr.

Agree completely. Moore and Carter are the 2 highest rated FS and both are rated as 2nd round picks. There's no reason we shouldn't get one of them in the 2nd. Of course Rick and Gary will most likely take the top rated TE instead. If this happens Rick and Gary should both be fired on the spot.

Moore's stock just took a nose dive for me.
Against WSU, he got beat badly on a double move inside the 10 and was toasted for a TD.
On the 2nd TD (also in the red zone), he took such poor position and angle that he couldn't get there in time to help the nickel back to break up the pass.
In the second half, Moore abandoned his responsibility in his 1/2 of the field (in cover 2) and chased the route to the other side (receivers running crossing routes from both sides). That left the receiver wide open for a very long gain.
There was another instance- but it slipped my mind now (where it looked like Moore didn't do the job a safety is supposed to.)

Then, in the game against Stanford, for some reason, Moore misjudged the throw and strayed too far from his deep post position. The RCB was beaten a few steps by the post route (either that, or he was supposed to trail the play and to look to protect underneath route).
There were receivers running deep routes on both sides and it did not look like the CBs were supposed to drop into 3-deep coverage. In this case, Moore shoulda stayed back as far as the deepest man, but he didn't. TD!

Here's where Moore worries me!

Did anyone watch the OU/Cincy game?
I can't quite see clearly the formation and the routes on the two plays where DJ Wood got free for two long gains.
It looks like Carter was the culprit both times, but the other safety (#3 Nelson) saved him both times.
He also bit on the exact same play (if the above was true) again in the same game (this time, he was surely the culprit.)
Plus he also committed one or two other errors (bigger than minor).
His stock is droppong for me.

If we're just grading these prospects based on what happened on the field, I might have to put Andrew Rich as the top safety of this class (oh boy!)

And here's where Carter worries me!

I watched more Clemson games to bring the total up to 9 (the only one I didn't watch was Wake Forest (a weakling).

McDaniel is a ball hawk alright!

And in all 9 games I saw fewer infractions than I saw from Carter or Moore in just one or two games.

His biggest "error" may not even be an error:

On the strong side, the QB rolled out.
They also pulled a guard to move the pocket.
The TE engaged the SAM.
Seeing this, McDaniel stayed to watch the QB.

A TE screen or a QB run were possible (with no defender to stop it).

In the meantime, the wide-out ran a skinny post.
The CB couldn't stay with him and had to grab him, taking a PI call to avoid a TD (the ball floated to give the CB the chance to even grab the WR).

McDaniel didn't commit until the QB released the ball, so you couldn't say that he bought the TE screen.
And remember, since the QB had rolled out, he can easily rumble up the side line for a big gain.

Perhaps you want your safety to drop way back to help the corner just to be sure to avoid the long bomb, but you will definitely give up a big run either by the QB or the TE on a screen.

Even if we call this a bad play by McDaniel, I've seen worse a few more times over from both Carter and Moore.

McDaniel played a lot of deep safety, including in cover one;
and he looked great to me.
Perhaps we are concerned about his speed at the next level.
If so, what do you think his 40 time should be to be rated as a frist rounder?

What's the deal with Deunta Williams this year?
I see that you think he will have the most successful career out of this FS draft.

I haven't seen enough of him, but so far, he has yet to impress me.
Perhaps, after the 4-game suspension, I should give him some time to get reacquainted with live action?
(I've only watched some early games.)

I watched more Clemson games to bring the total up to 9 (the only one I didn't watch was Wake Forest (a weakling).

McDaniel is a ball hawk alright!

And in all 9 games I saw fewer infractions than I saw from Carter or Moore in just one or two games.

His biggest "error" may not even be an error:

On the strong side, the QB rolled out.
They also pulled a guard to move the pocket.
The TE engaged the SAM.
Seeing this, McDaniel stayed to watch the QB.

A TE screen or a QB run were possible (with no defender to stop it).

In the meantime, the wide-out ran a skinny post.
The CB couldn't stay with him and had to grab him, taking a PI call to avoid a TD (the ball floated to give the CB the chance to even grab the WR).

McDaniel didn't commit until the QB released the ball, so you couldn't say that he bought the TE screen.
And remember, since the QB had rolled out, he can easily rumble up the side line for a big gain.

Perhaps you want your safety to drop way back to help the corner just to be sure to avoid the long bomb, but you will definitely give up a big run either by the QB or the TE on a screen.

Even if we call this a bad play by McDaniel, I've seen worse a few more times over from both Carter and Moore.

mcDaniel is a good enough athlete. He just doesn't make as many plays as a guy with his ability should make. He has some off field issues and Rick and Gary wont use a high enough pick for him to be a Texan.

Carter while not perfect has the best hips of any S in this draft. He has great playmaking ability. The flaws that you point out are there and can be corrected with better coaching. The talent is there.

The S that I really want the Texans to take is Eugene Clifford. That guy is a player.

Do you think Andrew Rich has enough athletic ability to be a starting SS in the NFL? I have no doubts that Rich will be a ST demon.

If you're looking for the most technically sound S in this draft with athletic ability and will be a 10 yr starter. Tyler Sash would be who I would look at taking in the 3rd rd.

mcDaniel is a good enough athlete. He just doesn't make as many plays as a guy with his ability should make. He has some off field issues and Rick and Gary wont use a high enough pick for him to be a Texan.

With the "limited" amount of time he was back there, I thought he made plenty of plays:
- 2 Ints and 5 PBUs as a freshman playing part-time
- 1 Int, 4 PBUs, 3 FFs, 3 QBHs in his sophomore year when he played as a LB
- 8 Ints, 1 PBU, 1 FF, 2nd leader on team in tackles as a Jr.
- 4 Ints, 5 PBUs, led team in tackles as a Sr.

He was around the ball a lot.
The most important thing to me is that he's (99% of the time) where he's supposed to be on the field.

Carter while not perfect has the best hips of any S in this draft. He has great playmaking ability. The flaws that you point out are there and can be corrected with better coaching. The talent is there.

The S that I really want the Texans to take is Eugene Clifford. That guy is a player.

Do you think Andrew Rich has enough athletic ability to be a starting SS in the NFL? I have no doubts that Rich will be a ST demon.

If you're looking for the most technically sound S in this draft with athletic ability and will be a 10 yr starter. Tyler Sash would be who I would look at taking in the 3rd rd.

I'm going to watch more of Carter as well as the rest of the safeties.

I like both Sash and Rich; they are somewhat of the same mold.
I do think that Rich has enough of what it takes to become a starter.
He surprised me when he was able to stay with some very fast receivers (in the short area, of course.)
I think Rich is a little better than Sash.

I stand corrected,

McDaniel wasn't that impressive to me in the 2 games that I saw last yr. (Miami,South Carolina) Of course that was just the eye test. I didn't see any tape where I just focused on him. I mainly focused on Bowers and Jenkins.

There was alot of Talent on that Clemson defense (Branch,Bowers,Jenkins on the DL and Gilchrist and McDaniels in the secondary) They should've been much better than they were last yr. But they appeared undisciplined. This is what worries me about taking Clemson players.

What's the deal with Deunta Williams this year?
I see that you think he will have the most successful career out of this FS draft.

I haven't seen enough of him, but so far, he has yet to impress me.
Perhaps, after the 4-game suspension, I should give him some time to get reacquainted with live action?
(I've only watched some early games.)

There was so much constant change in personnel this year for North Carolina's defense that I find it hard to be very critical of their top guys. A lot of guys who weren't supposed to play very much this year got pushed into action and got picked on.

There are guys who stood out. North Carolina has an incredible amount of talent on defense. The problem was that they weren't all on the field at the same time.

Williams is a four year starter, which is a big deal to me. He has good size for the position. He is an excellent athlete, definitely a true FS. He has instincts, ball skills, and coverage ability.

His production was down this year, but that is because he was asked to play a lot more deep safety. UNC played more man than they usually do and he was used more as the deepest player, the last line of defense. And UNC wasn't tested deep very often so he didn't get many opportunities.

His previous three years the production was there.

There was so much constant change in personnel this year for North Carolina's defense that I find it hard to be very critical of their top guys. A lot of guys who weren't supposed to play very much this year got pushed into action and got picked on.

There are guys who stood out. North Carolina has an incredible amount of talent on defense. The problem was that they weren't all on the field at the same time.

Williams is a four year starter, which is a big deal to me. He has good size for the position. He is an excellent athlete, definitely a true FS. He has instincts, ball skills, and coverage ability.

His production was down this year, but that is because he was asked to play a lot more deep safety. UNC played more man than they usually do and he was used more as the deepest player, the last line of defense. And UNC wasn't tested deep very often so he didn't get many opportunities.

If your investing millions of your dollars in a guy it must be based on as much information as possible until you can feel good about it, so his value must come @ a discount.

I stand corrected,

McDaniel wasn't that impressive to me in the 2 games that I saw last yr. (Miami,South Carolina) Of course that was just the eye test. I didn't see any tape where I just focused on him. I mainly focused on Bowers and Jenkins.

There was alot of Talent on that Clemson defense (Branch,Bowers,Jenkins on the DL and Gilchrist and McDaniels in the secondary) They should've been much better than they were last yr. But they appeared undisciplined. This is what worries me about taking Clemson players.

Actually, I just started the Miami game from 09 (not quite finished with the 1st qtr) and McDaniel looked good. I will finish that game tonight. Not sure if I still have the Gamecoks game; if I do, I will watch it as well.

I understand how the D-line and LB plays can help the secondary.
But when you said that they didn't play as well as they should have, that ought to make the job harder for the safety, wouldn't it?

If your investing millions of your dollars in a guy it must be based on as much information as possible until you can feel good about it, so his value must come @ a discount.

And it does. I do believe that he will be the best FS out of this draft. But I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger on him early because there are questions.

The lack of production this year doesn't look good. But when I watch the tape he looks like the same player as last year. What looks different is the players around him. The scheme changed and he was given less opportunities to make plays.

I do keep that in mind.
But as my previous post indicated, a safety should have plenty of opportunities to be tested when he's on a porous defense.
(Even if he plays squarely in the middle, and the QB simply throws down the side lines all the time.)

I take into considerations only what the safety is supposed to do on a given play.
The guy who is supposed to be a first rounder should also shine in the "extra mile" department, especially when you think he will have the best NFL career among those in this year safety class.

I will try to watch some games from last year as well, since I didn't watch much UNC.

By extra mile, I was referring to plays similar to the one Antwine Perez was engaged in; one in which the receiver involved is not even his responsibility.
He made the play because he can see the whole field, reading all the receivers.

Similar with what I saw in McDaniel in one play against Auburn (no, not the INT):

There were 2 receivers on his side.
The CB took one.
The nickel lined up on the slot, but then walked inside very early far away from the slot receiver, clearly showing to the QB that he's coming in on a blitz.
One of the receivers; therefore, became McDaniel's responsibility.

On the other side of the field, the wide-out beat the LCB down the side line (the CB slipped).
Newton took a cursy look toward McDaniel's side then come back to the right.
Clearly, he saw the CB slipping and threw a deep ball to the receiver Adams.

The commentator said that McDaniel was reading the QB's eyes.
(I don't buy that totally).
It could be that he saw the CB slipping.
It could be that he knew the other safety was playing a little closer to the LOS and that the QB is most likely to throw a deep ball to his favorite receiver in a one-on-one situation so McDaniel jumped as soon as he saw Newton looking that way.
He went a long way to break up that pass, and that's the extra mile I was impressed with.

Outside of carter and moore who does everyone think is the next best S. McDaniel, Sands, Sash, Williams, Johnson, Jarrett?

Outside of carter and moore who does everyone think is the next best S. McDaniel, Sands, Sash, Williams, Johnson, Jarrett?

You've perty much named them all. But here's 3 more.
1.Eugene Clifford
2.Will Hill
3.Amhad Black

There should be a good one available in Rd 3/4. If you're willing to take character risks 2 of the best S prospects should be available in rds 4/5. Will Hill and to a lesser degree Eugene Clifford. They are better than any S currently on the Texans roster.

You've perty much named them all. But here's 3 more.
1.Eugene Clifford
2.Will Hill
3.Amhad Black

There should be a good one available in Rd 3/4. If you're willing to take character risks 2 of the best S prospects should be available in rds 4/5. Will Hill and to a lesser degree Eugene Clifford. They are better than any S currently on the Texans roster.

I was wondering who you guys all thought was the next best. I'm torn between mcdaniel and sands but I could see sands being a liablity in coverage so I'm leaning toward mcdaniel

With the "limited" amount of time he was back there, I thought he made plenty of plays:
- 2 Ints and 5 PBUs as a freshman playing part-time
- 1 Int, 4 PBUs, 3 FFs, 3 QBHs in his sophomore year when he played as a LB
- 8 Ints, 1 PBU, 1 FF, 2nd leader on team in tackles as a Jr.
- 4 Ints, 5 PBUs, led team in tackles as a Sr.

He was around the ball a lot.
The most important thing to me is that he's (99% of the time) where he's supposed to be on the field.

Oh, he makes a ton of plays. He made so many plays against Florida State over the years. I still don't understand why we didn't get him as a recruit considering he went to Godby, which is a block from FSU campus.

McDaniel makes big plays in big moments. That's the biggest thing about him. He's intercepted Cam Newton, Christian Ponder, Matt Ryan and many others. After he picked off Ponder, he trucked him along the sidelines and Ponder hasn't been the same since. He was having a really, really good year averaging over 300 yards per game in 2009 before that hit put him out for the season. If McDaniel hadn't injured him, we may be talking about Ponder as the top QB based off production. He was on pace for 3,625 yards that year. Ponder had more yards in 2009 in 9 games than in 2010 in 11 games by 700 yards.

McDaniel has been around the block a time or two; he is experienced and he fits a need. I don't see any reason he wouldn't be worth our second round pick. I would even trade up to get him early in the 2nd round if I had to. He is everything we have been looking for in a SS.

Oh, he makes a ton of plays. He made so many plays against Florida State over the years. I still don't understand why we didn't get him as a recruit considering he went to Godby, which is a block from FSU campus.

McDaniel makes big plays in big moments. That's the biggest thing about him. He's intercepted Cam Newton, Christian Ponder, Matt Ryan and many others. After he picked off Ponder, he trucked him along the sidelines and Ponder hasn't been the same since. He was having a really, really good year averaging over 300 yards per game in 2009 before that hit put him out for the season. If McDaniel hadn't injured him, we may be talking about Ponder as the top QB based off production. He was on pace for 3,625 yards that year. Ponder had more yards in 2009 in 9 games than in 2010 in 11 games by 700 yards.

McDaniel has been around the block a time or two; he is experienced and he fits a need. I don't see any reason he wouldn't be worth our second round pick. I would even trade up to get him early in the 2nd round if I had to. He is everything we have been looking for in a SS.

I crossed McDaniel off my list when I heard about his 08 arrest for assaulting a girlfriend. He (allegedly) choked and punched her, before pushing her down a flight of stairs. I dont have a problem taking gambles on guys with character issues, but this is too much.

I crossed McDaniel off my list when I heard about his 08 arrest for assaulting a girlfriend. He (allegedly) choked and punched her, before pushing her down a flight of stairs. I dont have a problem taking gambles on guys with character issues, but this is too much.

Yeah, you would be surprised how many players get arrested for similar things. I know Ernie Sims got arrested for exactly the same thing in 2005. He actually slammed his girlfriend down on the ground and kept pushing her down. I knew a guy who lived in that apartment complex at the time and he said it was bad. Out in the parking lot, just pushing her around. This stuff happens more so than people know about.

Teams will clear all that up in the interviews, though. The arrest was 3 years ago, so teams may look at that as well and see how he's grown.

I obviously don't condone it and would like to see that he's a different person now, but I am not here to critique the personal lives of these guys. I am sure that alot of the players in the NFL have done some pretty bad stuff in their lives, but I am better off not knowing about it. I just want the Texans to have a good football team to put on the field on Sundays.

Yeah, you would be surprised how many players get arrested for similar things. I know Ernie Sims got arrested for exactly the same thing in 2005.

Teams will clear all that up in the interviews. The arrest was 3 years ago, so teams may look at that as well and see how he's grown.

I have no doubt that he will get drafted in rounds 1 or 2, I just dont want the Texans to get him. Drug issues, arms charges, underage drinking, accepting benefits, maybe even the rare misconduct is something that would not prohibit me from drafting a player. Yes, it would knock them down a bit, but these are young men, and these mistakes are the sign of immaturity. However, assault against a woman or child is inexcusable, any man/boy over 13 knows that.

Sign him up, LOL.

If he's the top rated player on the board talent wise Rick and Gary should take him. I wouldn't have a problem with McDaniel at #43.

He's more fluid than Sands. With that said, if Taylor is there at 43 I'm taking him.

I stand corrected,

You made me rewacth the Miami/Clemson game in 09, in which McDaniel probably would get defensive MVP; so then I realized you must be talking about the 2010 game, so I rewatched that one also, LOL!

In the 2010 Miami game, there were a couple of iffy plays for McD.
One was due to coverage call, and since we don't know what it was we can't say who was at faulft.
On both plays, none of the broadcasting team members can either!

It was a peculiar D call to say the least.
The Tigers rushed 4 and dropped 7 into coverage.

On the other side, they had 2 double teams against 2 receivers; while on McD's side, they left 3 defenders covering 3 receiving threats.

The LCB took on the wide out, so let's cross that pair out.
McD played close to the LOS and jumped on the receiving threat that went wide; the 5th DB (Lewis, a Soph) also followed the same offensive player.

That left Hankerson (most inside, almost like a TE) all alone on a straight go route for an easy TD.

McD lined up outside the DB, so I would think Hankerson's responsibilty belongs to the DB.

It was odd that one of the defenders from the other side didn't drop back in the middle to watch for such a scenario, but it happened.

I go by the eye test.

The way that you breakdown tape is very informative. I'm very appreciative. It helps me form a middle ground between what I see at the combine and from what I see on the field during the college season.

Thanks

Jay

I go by the eye test.

The way that you breakdown tape is very informative. I'm very appreciative. It helps me form a middle ground between what I see at the combine and from what I see on the field during the college season.

Thanks

Jay

I like to observe the little details. They show how "football smart" the players are. Sometimes one can have a lot of "talent" but never realize their "potential".

In basketball, for example, Kwame Brown was hand-picked by Jordan and became an instant bust ten years ago.
Phil Jackson couldn't do much with him either; so there's no guarantee that a player can be "coached up".
I heard he's reunited with Jordan now in Charlotte; must be that Jordan feels he still has some unfinished business in trying to prove that he can find and develop talent! :roast:

Anyway, before I come back to the second iffy moment for McDaniel, I thought I'd mention the 09 game first.
There was a play I think that have similiraties.

If anyone remember the Texans/Chargers game, I had broken down two similar plays (one by either team).
It involves a 2-receiver pattern with one running a deep route and the other running an underneath route, crossing from the other side of the field.
If the safety stays back to help defending the deep route, the QB would go short.
If the safety comes up on the short route, the QB would go long.

When the Chargers ran their play, Wilson jumped on the short crossing route (from the left side of the formation), leaving the wide-out (on the right side of the formation) free on the skinny post for a TD.

When we ran almost the same play, their safety (Weddle) stayed back to cut off AJ;
Schaub went to Jacoby underneath for a 17yd gain.

Well, let a college Junior safety shows them how it's done! :uchicken:

McDaniel backpedaled then stepped to his left to cut off the deep route (he took a quick glance at the other receiver then pretended to concentrate on the deep route).
All of a sudden, he stepped on the gas and bursted in front of the crossing route underneath, intercepted the ball and ran it back for a TD.

Wouldn't you like to have that guy on our team last year?

Back to the second "iffy" moment in the 2010 Miami game for McDaniel.
The situation was different, being 3rd and 5 for Miami from their own 35 (ie. a short route would give the Canes a first down and move the chain.)

It was a similar pattern, except both receivers were on the same side and ran two vertical routes, both threatening the safety.
The wide out ran an in-and-up route.
The slot receiver (Hankerson) ran a seam route (a straight go route that would split the nickel back and the safety.)

McDaniel lined up 10 yds off the LOS, backpedaled about three yards and sat waiting for the ball to break.
(Actually, there was a third receiver on the same side running a check route out to the flat, covered by the dime back.)

Bob Griese and another analyst concurred that the Tigers decided to play zero coverage (no deep safety help), meaning the CBs were to run with the receivers.
In that case, I imagine the safety's job was to sit at certain "break point" where the receivers are likely to make a change in direction.

With 3 receivers in his area, McDaniel was settling himself in a position where he may be of help to all three CBs on certain routes.
Most likely, his job was to defend the underneath routes that either deep threats can break into (any in or out route, stop route, comebacker, etc.) in order for the CBs to run with the receivers on all deep routes.

The one thing McDaniel probably did wrong was to take one step forward (in anticipation of a break by the receiver?).
The QB Harris (in all likelyhood had reviewed his own tape from last year game) was probably instructed to hold the ball and wait for the safety movement.
That one step up by McD was all the QB needed to see to take a shot downfield.

The red tapes that I've been showing of McDaniel were very little as compared to what I've seen from Quinton Carter, Rahim Moore, Duenta Williams.

On the other hand, the postives were many.
In fact, IMHO, McDaniel played more like a true safety, a ball hawk, an all-around football player than the others.

I ran accross these funny comments by Bruins fans when Moore was picked as first-team All American by TSN and third by the AP.

http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2010/12/rahim-moore-named-sporting-new.html

Sadly, they were basically true.
I think Moore should have gone back to school for another year.

The plays from Carter and Williams also had a lot of holes.
None of them I would trust to be the centerfielder on a defense, at least not in their first year in the NFL.

The red tapes that I've been showing of McDaniel were very little as compared to what I've seen from Quinton Carter, Rahim Moore, Duenta Williams.

On the other hand, the postives were many.
In fact, IMHO, McDaniel played more like a true safety, a ball hawk, an all-around football player than the others.

I ran accross these funny comments by Bruins fans when Moore was picked as first-team All American by TSN and third by the AP.

http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2010/12/rahim-moore-named-sporting-new.html

Sadly, they were basically true.
I think Moore should have gone back to school for another year.

The plays from Carter and Williams also had a lot of holes.
None of them I would trust to be the centerfielder on a defense, at least not in their first year in the NFL.

You've sold me on McDaniel. Too bad the Boy Scout troup over at Reliant wont take him. The issues with Carter and Moore are correctable. The way the UCLA fans talk about Moore, he may be avilable in Rd 3-4 and would be a bargain at that point. IMHO

I think he needs to be in the low 4.5's atleast to make it into the first round. If he runs sub 4.5 he will go in the 1st round.

I think he needs to be in the low 4.5's atleast to make it into the first round. If he runs sub 4.5 he will go in the 1st round.

I really don't know where to place him, to be honest.

But let's look at some numbers:

2007:
#20 Aaron Ross (CB) 4.5

2008:
#20 Aqib Talib (CB) 4:47
#31 Kenny Phillips (S) 4:54

2009:

SI: "Jenkins, an Ohio State product, ran anywhere from a 4.55 to 4.59 on most watches in his first attempt at Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis. He improved on his second 40, running a 4.52 or 4.53.

Coming into the combine, scouts were concerned about Jenkins' speed and felt he needed to run in the mid-4.4s to cement his status as the top cornerback. Some teams will now start to look at Jenkins as more of a safety since they feel he lacks top-end cornerback speed."

Jenkins was still the first CB taken at #14

2010:

#5 Eric Berry (FS) 4:47

#7 Joe Haden (CB) 4:57

#20 Jackson and #27 McCourty both clocked at 4:48

I don't think speed will be all that big a factor.
His coach said he ran 4.5 (but played like he ran a sub 4.4, he added.)

I'm thinking somewhere between 4.5-4.55
For a FS, I would think 4:55 is a very good time.
For a SS, 4:62 is still a very good time.

Last edited:
I don't follow teams need.
Can somebody recap which team need a FS, SS, CB and what draft slot they have?
Thanks!

You've sold me on McDaniel. Too bad the Boy Scout troup over at Reliant wont take him. The issues with Carter and Moore are correctable. The way the UCLA fans talk about Moore, he may be avilable in Rd 3-4 and would be a bargain at that point. IMHO

Actually, last year the Texans took some of the guys on my wish list, albeit at a higher slot than I had a couple of them at.

I had Jackson & McCourty neck to neck (late first, early second).
OK, so if I was a bit harsh, late first would have been better than 20.

I was fine with Tate in the 2nd at our slot.

I had Mitchell in the fourth (considering that he had not been playing defense all that long).

I wanted Morgan Burnett in the third, but the Packers took them at #71
(He started right away, but was injured in the 4th game.)

Wish they could have traded down a bit in the first or trade up in the third (and still draft Mitchell.)

Another guy I would have been fine with was Nate Allen at safety (if his injury checked out - and it did), but he was drafted at #37 by the Eagles.

Every year since the inception of the Texans i am always most familiar with the safeties of the draft class...because we always need one but never select one.

You would think in a division with Peyton Manning they might pay some attention to the position...

Every year since the inception of the Texans i am always most familiar with the safeties of the draft class...because we always need one but never select one.

You would think in a division with Peyton Manning they might pay some attention to the position...

You would think!

But it's hard to blame them for trying.
They did spend a lot of money and draft picks on the defensive side.
And when Richard Smith was here, the Texans played mostly a tampa 2 scheme, so a safety like Wilson (many injuries ago) was at least adequate.
Frank Bush, on the other hand, was trying to do too much.

Ughh!
I watched some more of his games and the same stuffs appeared time and again.

The Oregon game was unbearable. He looked like a freshman out there.
I was thinking... ouch... undraftable.

I'm going try to watch the games from 09 to see how he got all those INTs.
(I actually did watch a few already, but let me hold off on the results.)

I'm still perplexed with the accolades that Prince A. have gotten, so I spent more time watching him.

2010:
Kansas, Iowa St, Mizzou, Wash, Okl, Okl St, UT, KS, Ks St, A&M, Colo, W. Kent, Idaho (the only game I didn't have is S. Dakota St.)

I also went back to all the 09 games in which he built up the "productions" (INTs, PBups):
Okl, UT, Colo, KS, Mizzou, Baylor

And I'm sorry to say that I don't see him as a first rounder.
To be honest, I don't know if I would want him in the second round either.

Besides the INT in the Fla Atlantic game (which I don't have), the other four INTs were gimme-type.

Maybe except for one; on that play, the commentator had this to say:
- QB staring down his receiver the whole time.
- Ball was out (thrown) late
- Receiver did not come back toward the ball.

On 2 of the other 3 INTs, he was actually beaten by 2-3 steps but the QB threw the ball right to him instead to the receivers.

The third one was late in a game in which the opponent was behind and it was like 4th and 20, and Prince played like a safety back deep and the QB threw the ball to him as if he was the receiver.

Sorry, kiwi and other Cornhuskers fans!

Prince was a cover 2 corner who stretched the college chuck rule to the max.

Having the safeties backing him up allowed him to play aggressively in the underneath zone (and the chuck rule also helps a lot.)

But leave him on an island and he would be burned time and time again.

On the other hand, the more tapes that I watched from Jimmy Smith and Andrew Rich, the more I like them.
I also went back to the 09 games like W. Virg, Okla, Mizzou , KS for Smith
and TCU, Fla St, Utah for Rich.
These were games against good passing teams/skill players at the time.
I also watched some games where their teams got manhandled (but they held up - Smith and Rich.)

I defnitely think Smith deserves first round status.
He've got the best tapes of all the CBs in this draft class - and the measurables.

Rich, I really don't know where to put him because he's so so under the radar that putting him ahead of Rahim Moore and Quinton Carter seems so preposterous.

But he really is a player that I want to see in a Texan uni.
The guy plays hard and smart and is always around the ball.
He hardly ever misses a tackle (and it's not like the play comes directly to him, he had to go after it, many times from all the way back in the secondary.)

Tyler Sash would be another good choice for me in the mid-rounds.

But leave him on an island and he would be burned time and time again.
Most of the college routes are underneath, so it wouldn't surprise me that Amukamara was coached to be hyper-aggressive on those routes. That doesn't mean he can't be coached to turn and run with WRs. I think he has the speed and ability.

Amukamara reminds me of a bigger pre-injury Dunta Robinson. Very physical corner who can challege NFL WRs at the LOS. I think the Texans have lacked that. I do acknowledge that Amukamara has been burned deep. But you have to look at the circumstances, where he hasn't been afforded safety help and asked to challenge the slants and outs. I don't think Amukamara has to be pigeon holed as a cover 2 CB.

Back