Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Defensive Schemes for all 32 Teams

Tailgate

Fall of Hame
Very cool write up from Pro Football Weekly which summarizes the defensive philosophies of each team and how the many coaching changes around the league will most likely be effecting each as a result. It dives even further into it discussing what areas of the D each team might be focusing on heading into the draft.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2009/rock042109.htm

Houston Texans*
Frank Bush served as defensive assistant the last two years before replacing defensive coordinator Richard Smith and will keep the same 4-3 base defense intact. He is expected to be more aggressive bringing pressure, which the Texans struggled to do from the defensive interior. The back seven was a bigger problem, with injuries hitting hard. Dunta Robinson returns from injury, but the Texans need to improve at cornerback, where Jacques Reeves too often was torched, to become more aggressive.

What? We were supposed to try to stop the other team from scoring? That doesn't seem nice.

I thought we were in the midst of a "point redistribution" arrangement where we'd score an assload of points and then promptly give them back (sometimes with interest!).

This whole defensive scheme thing is making my head hurt.... I just don't understand.

Funny how they say Reeves was often torched, but statiscally he was our best corner....

Numbers lie!

On top of that, if Reeves was our best corner, we would have been much worse, if that is possible!

And yes, the defensive players have to execute.
When they perform their tasks to par, we have a better defense!

Last edited:
Numbers lie!

On top of that, if Reeves was our best corner, we would have been much worse, if that is possible!

I guess my eyes were lying as well. Reeves was definitely our best Corner in '08.

Hence my desire for a CB in the first round.

Numbers lie!

Which of our CB's outplayed Reeves? I sure didn't see it.

Back