Defensive players that fit the Frank Bush mold

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by TheRealJoker, Jan 13, 2009.

1. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Okay draft experts...put your heads together and find some potential Texans entering the draft who fit the Frank Bush mold of defense as per John McClain:

Per McClain on his chat today:

John McClain: I hope Frank Bush gets it. Frank will blitz like crazy and have the linemen shoot the gaps to get after the quarterback and give the defense an identity -- everybody to the ball and hit until the whistle. That's the system he was brought up under.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/01/t...chat_0113.html

Who's coming out that we might be looking at for this type of defense?

2. Blake

Blake MMQB

Out of nowhere pick. Late rounds.

Victor Butler #90

Defensive End
    Height: 6-foot-2
    Weight: 235 pounds
    Class Year: Sr
    Experience: 3V
    Hometown: Rialto, CA
    High School: Eisenhower HS

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  3. Blake

Blake MMQB

Round1 Possibilities.

Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech

Height: 6-7. Weight: 257.

Everette Brown, Florida State
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 250.

4. Blake

Blake MMQB

A couple of things. Brandon Graham is staying for his senior year.

What makes you think that Michael Johnson wouldn't be a good rush DE on the weakside? He had 17.5 TFL & nine sacks this season.

5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You are probably the only person who wouldn't want another Mario on their DL

I'm sure the other 31 teams dont feel this way.

If a team knew Johnson would be another MW, he would most likely be the no.1 pick in the entire draft.

6. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

What McClain said about Frank Bush's philosophy tells us nothin.

The same words were used to describe Richard Smith.

7. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Way to go , spoil the party .:chickendance:

8. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Hey man, I'm not the one doing the chicken dance. If you a chicken dancing, it aint a party.

9. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Tc dances to her own beat :brando::texans chick:

geeze season isn't over and I want the draft to be here already

10. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Anywhere you read it talks about Johnson being lazy and taking a lot of plays off. No way do I want that guy.

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

How about this?

Trade down and get Raji DT in first. With our 2nd we select SHonn Green power back to get us in red zone. 2nd round from trade down Brandon Graham DE /ILB 6'3" 270 4.72 3rd Rashad Johnson FS or Sherrod Martin FS both true FS with sub 4.50 4th Robert Ayers DE Tennessee 6'3" 270 4.73 all SEC 1st team with 3 sacks 15 TFL. 5th round Ian Johnson a Slaton clone.

IMO this takes care of most of our issues.

12. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

IDK ... I've chicken danced to an oompa band before and I'm here to tell ya it was quite the party . :smiliedance:

13. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

If Bush's scheme is going to involve alot of blitzing I know Everette Brown fits that very well. He was on a team in Florida State that blitzed very often, and led the nation in tackles for loss. He could also be an asset on zone blitzes as I have seen him drop back on a zone blitz before and break up a pass, and he certainly has the athletic ability to do it.

Other guys that I know are good at blitzing are Rey Maualuga and Clint Stinim. Even though Rey was a MLB in college, I could see him moving to the SAM position, but that obviously depends on what his speed is. He looks plenty fast to me, but I here that he may not be. Stinim is probably a 3-4 OLB, but I could also see him at the SAM position in a 4-3. Stinim is a very good blitzer and tackler in general.

14. TexansSeminole

If we can get another Mario Williams I am up for it, big time. The thing is guys like Mario don't grow on trees. Mario was 280 or close to 280 coming out of college, and had an excellent S&C coach at NC State. Remember 4 guys off that D-line went in the first round that year, and I think alot of it had to do with that S&C coach. He is now at FSU, and is credited with making Everette Brown much stronger going into this last season. I also think that had alot to do with Brown's year.

The thing about Michael Johnson is that he is only 260, or so. While he may have the height of a Mario Williams he does not have the bulk. I see this as kind of a big issue because, from what I understand, GTech has a pretty damn good S&C program. Every year I can remember hearing how this Michael Johnson guy was going to blow up and get to Mario size, but he never really put on much bulk. You look at the guy and he is 6-7 with a nice frame, so there is room there to get bigger.

You add that to the fact that alot of people don't think he works that hard, so work ethic may be a concern. Like nunusguy says, I wouldn't touch the guy with a 10 foot poll.

EDIT: Or perhaps it was threetoadpete who was saying that. I'm sorry if I quoted you and was wrong.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  15. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I doubt Raji will be available at 15 much less after a trade down. Ian Johnson will be lucky to get drafted. Just doesnt have the physical abilities to be a pro RB.

16. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Brandon Graham is going back to Michigan for his senior year.

17. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

My thoughts:

18. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Same thing was said about Mario and look at where he was drafted and where he's at now.

Never fully trust what you read, especially online.

Imjustsaying...

19. TexansSeminole

When I saw Mario in college, it wasn't that he took plays off, it was that he would be so dominant one play and the next he wasn't. Or he would dominate one game, and the next he wouldn't dominate. I think it was more of an issue with consistency, and he had problems with that here in Houston the first year. I do, however, remember someone posting draftnicks' take on Mario and one take was that he took plays off.

I get what your saying though.

20. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

A) Freakish athlete. Does need to add weight to be an everydown DE in the pros. I'm not terribly worried about his 40-time, with a DE I'm more concerned with his burst... ability explode when the ball is snapped.

B) Not sure where you're getting your stats. Everyone has been so down on Michael Johnson this year, it's spread like wildfire across the net. He actually had a really good year. Some websites vary but he's more in the 17.5 TFL and 9.0 sacks for the 2008 season.

C) I remember last year he was pegged to be a Top 5 lock in this years draft. He's been beat down to death all season. His motor is in question and people keep talking about how he takes plays off. This concerns me as well, but we need to remember that a negative about MARIO WILLIAMS coming out was that he took plays off and was inconsistent.

I think everyone is in agreement that Michael Johnson is going to be selected due to his potential, major upside. He's a risky pick and very well could be a bust. I just think that if this current staff had Amobi Okoye rated as their #1 defensive player in the draft back in '07... I just have a sneaking suspicion that they might like Johnson some- we could see some very angry Texans fans come April if he's selected.