Defensive Coordinator Speculation

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANS84, Feb 1, 2006.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Heard on this morning while listening to Sports Radio 610 about the possiblilty of R.C. Slocum being a possible defensive coordinator candidate.

[​IMG]

Remember, the guy is responsible for the 91' "Wrecking Crew" defense:

http://www.aggieathletics.com/pressRelease.php?PRID=10201

Thoughts?

2. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

It wouldn't bother me a bit. I think RC is the main reason the Aggies have more players in the NFL than Texas. He coaches his players to prepare them for the NFL. The last few years, he just didn't recruit enough talent to get the job done.

3. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

I'm not gonna knock them for wanting a class guy w/some good credentials. Go for it.

4. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

I'm all for having this guy as our DC. Guy produces a solid D. Anybody is better than Fangio, or however you spell it.

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

All I know about RC is that he is an class guy that had some great defenses in college. I do not know anything about his defensive philosophy.

All I can say is that I hope this does not incite any wrecking crew chants. It is arguably the lamest chant and hand symbol I have ever seen.

6. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

He ran the 3-4 at A&M.

Do you always have to throw something negative in every post you make??? Of course, I am an Ag, but if you are an opposing team that gets stuffed by the D, and the crowd starts chanting this so loud you can't hear yourself think...

I like it. Better than the sitting on the hands crowd we see at many a football stadiums nowadays...

7. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

The subject is Slocum, where was I negative in my post about the speculation on the subject?

8. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Where in my post did I say you were negative about the speculation on the subject? I asked why you had to throw something negative in every post you make. I know this is not fact (not EVERY post), but you do it so often, it seems that way.

9. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I heard the same comment on the radio on my drive into work this morning. I don't know much about RC, but I believe we are putting together a great staff of coaches. I am optomistic about this upcoming year and down the road from that even. I know this might be far fetched, but I get the feeling that this staff will eventually be a talented staff and one that people are going to look at down the road just as they look at previous "dream team" coaching staffs that Gruden, Holmgren, Shanahan, and others sprouted off of. Old 49er staffs and such.:yahoo: :ok:

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Negativity is your perception. My posts are are nothing more than to foster debate, entertainment value (most often for myself), my own unfounded takes as a fan and to play devil's advocate in order for me to gather as much information on both sides to form an opinion.

You can easily put me on your ignore list if you do not see the value or do not like the volume in my posts.

11. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Just noting what I see. I value your opinions and would not put you on ignore. I just think sometimes you are too negative and yes, I know, this is my perception.

12. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

We don't want to have anything to do with the name wrecking crew. We don't want A&M filing a lawsuit against us.

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  13. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Nice.

14. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

I don't care who you are that's funny! (Coming from an Ag!) Of course, I do have to comment that under trademark law, TAMU is required to defend its trademark.

15. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Bring him on! We'll get more of Coach Slocum on a mobile on 610.

16. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

I know alot about Slocum he was the one who recruited me. He is a class guy and task master. He does not take any crap and he expects you to give your best on every play whether walk through or game or just film session. Possibly the greatest coach I ever had. He runs an attacking 3-4 defense similar to Pittsburgh's blitz packages, but does some Patriot style coverages. Mainly press man, but some slide zones and shades to help out the safties. Corners are expected to blitz often and He stresses and I do mean stresses angles when attacking. "a good angle can make the most athletic seem like a F-ing practice squadder" I got this yelled at me many a time. I dont think he will become our DC, but it would be great if he was brought in to coach LBs or as a consultant to the HC on Defense.

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I can get behind a guy that gets that type of endorsement.

18. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Rome was saying the other day that he doesn't think the Ags have a case because the Seattle fans aren't mounting each other and sticking their tongues down each others throats after TDs. :) Sorry to Ags but the way it was said was funny.

19. Chance_C

Chance_C Site Contributor

Richard Smith and RC might make a good combo for co-defensive coordinators....

20. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Coming form a Tech grad, who grew up in a UT family (don't ask how it happened) I'd have no issues with RC being the DC or even a coach/consultant. He has produced some great D and put a bunch of players into teh NFL. RC knows talent, espically defensive talent.

The only downside would be it wouldmena that we are most likely sticking with teh 3-4, and after four years of it I'm not so high on it anymore (unless we got somebody from Pitts D to run it, like say their D line caoch.)