Defense

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Joe Texan, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

It seems to me that a defense that blitzes all the time gets significant pressure on the QB and we do not seem to blitze very much and we hardley ever get significant pressure on the QB. Would it be possible that if we called more Blitzes then we might be able to get pressure on the QB thus helping the secondary from getting lit up. I am not sure how many times we blitz but wityh the lack fo pressure I think it is not that much, Correct me if I am wrong cause I am trying to figure out how we can be so good in the end of the season and come out so Like a strainer to water to start the next season.

2. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I never go back and watch game film, but I have noticed that when we try and blitz the middle of the line the LB's tend to run into brick walls and make no progress.

3. Rey

Rey Guest

I hate to be the one pointing out the obvious, but Demeco's play has steadily gotten worse since his rookie year.

He doesn't do a lot of things nearly as well that he did back then, and blitzing seems to be one of his diminishing skills.

He rarely beats his man on the blitz. If he's not coming free, it's like he has no chance of getting there.

4. Blake

Blake MMQB

A defense that blitz a significant amount of time must have quality corners. And quality cover linebackers if they are dropping into coverage.

A 3-4 defense can blitz effectivly more often since you dont know where the pass rushers are coming from. With a 4-3 the offense know where at LEAST 4 of the pass rushers are coming from 99% of the time. And only have to account for a blitzing linebacker or cornerback off the edge.

Yes, blitzing adds pressure on the QB, but unless your corners can cover up those wide outs the QB can get rid of the ball on a hot read.

5. Rey

Rey Guest

Lots of defenses blitz to get pressure on the QB and force him to make bad decisions which helps out their corners.

I don't agree that their is a right or wrong philosophy..I just think you have to pick and choose your spots...Know when it's a good time to bring heat, and know when to drop 7 or eight...

We drop Mario into coverage quite a bit. When Barwin was here, we played him in a stand up role quite a bit.

Under Bush we haven't really been a team that constantly rushes 4 down linemen and only blitz a LB or corner...

That's the point of the zone blitz...QB makes his hot read and some defender is creeping in that zone...You drop your DE back and QB thinks that short slant is available but it's not...

It's all about the effectiveness of your schemes and personnel...

Yeah, if you just blitz your mike up the A gap that is nothing special. Get more creative. Get smarter.

6. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Horrible play from the defensive tackles explains most of it, both on the blitz and on run plays.

7. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

"We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking."

What do you think about your team's execution:

"I'm all for it!" ...

~Coach John McKay

8. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I agree, but I don't know why.

9. Rey

Rey Guest

I don't either...He still gets his fair share of tackles, but it seems like he used to get more tackles for loss than he does now...

He used to be a more up the field type player...

May have something to do with the smaller DT's playing the penetrating style which leaves the LB's vulnerable, but I don't think that is the only reason....

He just hasn't played as well...:shrug:

10. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Could be that teams scheme for him now while as a rookie teams didn't take as great a note of him.

11. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I hate smaller DTs! I'm so sick of that! Hey, lets switch to a 3-4 and get a tiny, little quick NT....sheeeesh!

While we're at it, let's replace KJ with Okoye and have him back off the WR 15 or 20 yards. That'll stop 'em!

12. Rey

Rey Guest

Well.....eventually, they'll stop scheming for him if he keeps up what he's doing...

13. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Inside LB's are not consistently going to beat inner OL for sacks, they are just at a severe disadvantage. I can't remember the last time I saw a premier ILB with lots of sacks in the 4-3 alignment.

As for why his diminishing play it's probably the fact that he runs into Amobi being drove 3-4 yards down the field not allowing him to flow and hit the gap. How did Amobi do this game before I was really able to get past the excitement and watch the game I saw Mitchel in more than Amobi, he seems a bit more effective against the pass at least.

14. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Hate to sound like a broken record, but I would say this is why.

Most interior linemen seem to get a free release more-often then not.

15. Rey

Rey Guest

The things is we play a different kind of defense than we used to.

We used to play a defense where the D linemen held up the O-line at the LOS...They would read and react...In that kind of defense you rely a lot more on your LB's to shoot gaps and make the plays...

Now we play a defense where we want our D-line to penetrate off the snap and then re-direct to where the ball is going...

That in itself means that Demceo will be taking on more O-linemen...

But the off-set should be more broken plays in the backfield because our D-line is penetrating breaking stuff up...

The run defense hasn't been all that bad this year so I can't say I have a problem with that philosophy...

The LB's need to be able to fight off blocks or avoid them completely...Too often I've seen Demeco do neither...If he can only make plays when he is untouched or when the D-Line completely eats up the blockers then he's not that good...

He's better than that...I've seen it with my own eyes...Just wondering where it's gone..

16. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Sad but true.

Three questions come immediately to mind.

1) Was Demeco always playing the Mike in his career with us? I'm thinking yes, but my memory gets hazy at times.

2) Who was at DT during his Pro Bowl seasons?

3) He appears heavier now. I wonder if he's bulked up to gain longevity but lost mobility to do so.....

Just thinking out loud on number 3. I have no empirical data for that particular thought.

17. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

And with Darryl Sharpton here, this is pretty much his last year.

18. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

DeMeco's last year here? I doubt it. Just gave him a 6 yr extension

19. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

Team needs to change how they scout for DTs and CBs.

Enough with the 'Small quick mobile' DTs
    Enough with the 'Physical, and play against the run' CBs

It ain't working. We get no push inside. Oh if we had a big space eating DT it would do WONDERS for Mario and the LBs.

Our corners hardly EVER play the ball. It's almost like they think the objective of playing CB is to rack up tackles. Sometimes they are right there to make the play but look completely confused as to where the ball is.

20. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

I agree that our blitz packages are unintersting. We just don't have the secondary to play man coverage when we do blitz.
    Even so, we are getting burned by not blitzing and letting the opposing QB pick us apart, so why not blitz with different schemes to at least try and rattle the QB.