Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Defense

DEFENSE...DEFENSE...DEFENSE

"D" came up huge! IMHO if Sharper does'nt make the Pro Bowl its criminal.
Glad to see that Payne and G-Funk may be getting back to pre injury form.
:headbang:

Defense has definitely gotten better for us. I was really surprised how average our defense looked at the beginning of the season. Now, we finally look like the Don Capers Defense I was expecting. We're stopping the run game cold, and our secondary (which I thought was one of our weaknesses) is playing great. HUGE improvement. Not counting the Vickings game, our defense have played great the last couple of games.

maybe it has taken this long for the rookies (Babin & Robinson) to get the feel of the NFL, either way they (the defense) is played great today.

They seemed to be coming on as a unit the last two games before the bye and have seemed to pick it up even more in this game. If they keep playing like this, it bodes VERY well for us as we move through the rest of the season.

Hey, how about some cheers for Wong. The guy is having a hell of a season.
I wonder if there is a chance that he makes the probowl this year?? idonno:

They just said on Fox Sports Extra that the Texan's defense has only allowed 2 field goals in the last 6 quarters we played, awesome job. :headbang:

payne really makes a difference stopping the run. looks like hes getting his legs back. the whole deffense played great today.

another thing that has really helped is that you are hearing less and less of D-Rob's name, which is a good thing because it means he isnt getting burned and when you do hear his name is because he made a great play...

Fiddy said:
another thing that has really helped is that you are hearing less and less of D-Rob's name, which is a good thing because it means he isnt getting burned and when you do hear his name is because he made a great play...

c'mon Fiddy idonno: they are throwing away from his side, Duanta Robinson is a shutdown corner, his closing speed is feared, his positioning is improving. And its only week 7 :hyper:

beerlover said:
c'mon Fiddy idonno: they are throwing away from his side, Duanta Robinson is a shutdown corner, his closing speed is feared, his positioning is improving. And its only week 7 :hyper:
exactly, they arent taking him deep no more because he has proven himself which has helped the defense....

I might of worded my last statement funny.... :bag:

And another thing, we had 1 non-offensive TD all of last year (Marlon McCree's INT return for a TD vs. the Titans), we already have 3 this year (Coleman vs. Chiefs, Sharper vs. Raiders, Faggins vs. Jags)

Fiddy said:
And another thing, we had 1 non-offensive TD all of last year (Marlon McCree's INT return for a TD vs. the Titans), we already have 3 this year (Coleman vs. Chiefs, Sharper vs. Raiders, Faggins vs. Jags)

That's so awesome. 3 different players, even. Shows this team's actually getting talented across the field (and maybe even some depth!)...

Dunta Robinson is not a shutdown corner yet. There are only a handful of them in the league. Dunta is very good, no doubt about that, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Last year people thought Terrance Newman was going to be a shutdown corner and now he is getting burned on a weekly basis.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
Dunta Robinson is not a shutdown corner yet. There are only a handful of them in the league. Dunta is very good, no doubt about that, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Last year people thought Terrance Newman was going to be a shutdown corner and now he is getting burned on a weekly basis.

Your right, TN is getting killed... Robinson is looking good and in a year or two WRs are going to hate lining up across him.

Iron Mike gushed about the Texans' team speed on defense, how they fly to the ball, how aggressive their schemes are and how different players keep coming up big. The high praise from a credible source is just another example of the growing appreciation for what the Texans hope they are becoming: a playoff contender.

It's been quite some time since anyone, let alone a Super Bowl-winning coach, had much positive to say about the Texans' defense. Any national buzz about the Texans has focused on a high-powered offense led by quarterback David Carr and wide receiver Andre Johnson. But the Texans have a defensive-oriented head coach in Dom Capers, and as three-time Pro Bowl cornerback Aaron Glenn often says: "We have a lot of talent on offense, but we want to be known as a defensive team."

If their last two games are any indication, Glenn might get his wish.

The Texans allowed just 16 points in victories over AFC South rivals Tennessee and Jacksonville, and they have not allowed a touchdown in their last six quarters. They had six takeaways in the two victories and have held opponents to five plays or fewer in 12 of their last 22 defensive series.

When someone suggested Jacksonville didn't play up to its capabilities offensively, Ditka was quick to add: "Houston had something to do with that."

Earlier in the season, when the Texans were one of the worst defensive teams in the league, it was fair to accuse their approach of being too conservative. But that was by design.

Capers and defensive coordinator Vic Fangio had two rookie starters in cornerback Dunta Robinson and outside linebacker Jason Babin; defensive end Robaire Smith was new to the system; free safety Marcus Coleman was learning a new position after playing cornerback for eight years and nose tackle Seth Payne was still trying to regain his form following knee surgery.

Seven games into the season, those players are more comfortable with his role in the defense, and the coaches feel more confident unleashing more of the scheme. In recent weeks, the Texans have been anything but conservative, and the fact everyone has more experience in the system has a lot to do with it. Capers said he has no regrets about the early-season approach.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/2879382

Capers talks about defense Click on "'D' gets an 'A' against Jaguars (11/1)" to hear talk about our Defense coming together (real player)

I can't believe people are happy to hear Ditka jump on our bandwagon after he trashed us all throughout the preseason.

I waited til today to see if anyone else mentioned Marcus Coleman's new 3year $9 million extension signed last week. I guess that confirms Caper is pleased with what he sees. On another thread, some one had mention 2005 draft & I expected high picks to go to D'backs and receiver (after D'line @ 1st round). Derek has looked awesome @ WR when he gets in and Bradford looked pretty good 1st game back from groin pull. Even if we lose Corey to free agency, I think receiving corps is pretty good.

Man, that defense looked great! Aaron Glenn was popping people. Marcus Spears tapped two passes away & he's second string! Now if we could just get a QB that can keep his hat on! Just kidding.

I LOVED that choke slam that he put on Cryin Byron. And Wong is doing a great job watching the over the middle passes to get picks. Great job by him.

wags said:
I can't believe people are happy to hear Ditka jump on our bandwagon after he trashed us all throughout the preseason.
I care the same amount about what Ditka says now as what he said then.

Back