Deep RB Draft

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by buddyboy, Jan 16, 2008.

1. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

It seems to me that there is a pretty deep class of RBs this year, and should the Texans decide to go RB at #18 or even trade down for extra picks, it looks like a quality back will be available.

However, after McFadden, it looks like there's a question mark at who would be the second or even third back selected. 2 backs that stood out to me were Jonathan Stewart or Rashard Mendenhall, either of which might fall to us (at this point in the draft boards).

So this brings me to my question, which back would you rather have? Mendenhall or Stewart? I saw the Oregon game and I was pretty impressed with Stewart. He runs tough, yet also has the game breaking speed that the Dayne Train lacks.

So, which would you prefer? Or would it be another back?

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I like Stewart, gives you a power back & homerun threat, but most have Mendenhall rated higher becuase of his speed & quickness. either one would be fine selections, can't really go wrong with either one @ #18 that is if rated higher than any tackle or cb available which would overrule taking RB.

3. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I agree. They both look great.

It just depends on which type of back you are looking for.

4. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

Remember that we are in the west coast offense to so they have to be able to catch so i will give the edge too Johnathon Stewart but Mendenhall reminds me of a young Terrell Davis.:pirate: :fans:

5. beerlover

& Jonathan reminds me of a young Earl :cool:

6. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

:elle:

7. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I don't think we will draft a running back till the third round. This draft is very deep at RB and we still have a lot of needs

8. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Yeah, you can get excellent talent in later rounds this year. Some really good RB will fall into the 4th-7th round. The drop off from the 1st rounders and the later picks isnt very drastic.

9. beerlover

seems we have adopted the Denver mentality hook line & sinker-

"We don't need a 1st round running back to have teams respect us, they already do. Every team knows that Denver can run the ball regardless of the runner."

posted on Denvers message board- jvw, Jan. 16

10. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Well Beerlover , I'll give ya Stewart....But.....

If someone. say Seattle, comes banging on the Texan door for the eighteen with Stewart still there and offering picks for a move down, they have got to think about it.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I'm in favor of a trade down unless we can get a LT that can play immeaditly.

12. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

This may be the best option available but do you really think that will happen for a running back. Unless McFadden, Felix Jones, and Mendenhall are off the board, there really isn't much of an incentive. Even guys like Ray Rice, Jamaal Charles, and Steve Slaton could be had if these top 4(Stewert, McFadden, Jones, Mendenhall) are off the board.

13. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Can't say I have made any sort of indepth study, but with the limited looks I have had at the guys, Stewart looks like the guy that would best fit our offense. Big guy, good speed, some wiggle, cuts hard, seems decisive and can catch. Not sure about how well he picks up the blitz.

14. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

I'm a fan of JStew.

15. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

What is the :elle: all about?

16. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

17. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

I am not a fan of drafting a RB in the first round, preferrably second but we do not ave a second round pick, I just think that and the bottow of the first and early mid second is the best place to chose a RB. The needs of the team out weigh the cost of drafting a RB that high.

18. beerlover

I understand your position & I'm in total agreement with one exception- you should never pass on the bpa regardless if you prefer or value other positions more of less. if a RB is the bpa when the Texans are on the clock & another team does not call & offer what you feel is greater value to trade down you build your franchise with the best player available. :cool:

19. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I agree with this but you've also got to rate the positions, and if you see that there are still 6 or 7 other running backs that can be your #2 or even a starter, I think that has got to affect your decision making. I'm not sure Mendenhall or Stewart would be the BPA at #18.

20. beerlover

look, how many times, how many different ways do I say it, bpa is bpa. each team probably has a slightly different draft board therefore bpa is subjective to each team & their needs. my statement is clear you take the bpa on your draft board period. who knows for sure which player will be available or still on the board & how the Texans board rates out come selection time?

I would feel a whole lot better about the RB class depth if the Texans had a 2nd rd. pick. I can't recall how many times I've stated that cause the two backs I would target are both gonna be 2nd rd. picks. (Chris Johnson, East Carolina & James Davis, Clemson). The issue is- Texans don't have a 2nd rd. pick, so right now the bpa @ #18 could be Mendenhall or Stewart.