Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

DeAndre Hopkins has left camp. (Holdout over)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texian, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

2. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Whoa, who saw this coming ? Memory escapes, when was the last time we had a Texan hold out ?

3. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

4. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

Time for Rick to earn that new contract. Get him back in camp happy.

thunderkyss likes this.
  5. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

WTF?! Wonderful....

6. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

because he did such an awful job when Andre held out.

thunderkyss likes this.
  7. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

I don't know what your referencing or why you quoted me...

8. htowntexans1985

htowntexans1985 1st Round Pick

@profootballtalk
    DeAndre Hopkins, per source, did not leave camp. He never reported. Major procedural differences.

9. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

When Andre Johnson first held out for a new contract Rick Smith did such a horrible job of handling the situation he made things worse, Bob McNair put Smith on the bench and handled the negotiations directly with Andre. (Can you say Jerah Jones?)

DocBar and thunderkyss like this.
  10. Texan_fan_13

Texan_fan_13 Needed: OL now that we have a QB worth it

Actually, I did. And I can't remember if i posted it here or @ texans.com while defending fuller. If I was DeAndre, and i saw all these wide receivers drafted and I would have to consider this as well. And normally i get upset at this type behavior because i think its a cry baby manoeuvre, but in this case, not so much and here is why.

My theory is if you have them all go out there and do great you don't need to pay DeAndre the big money and save on a huge cap hit. Fuller #1, Strong #2 Miller #3 and you still have Shorts and even Mumphrey if you really want to go down that far. Note you don't have to agree with me but think Bellichek and how he handled receivers, they have all been interchangeable though the years for TB.

#1 Historically the Texans have worked out the rookie contracts in the 4th year not the 5th. Makes me think there has been little effort made to do this.

#2 If the new guys work out, and I get that we don't have alot of ND fans on this board, but in as much as DeAndre knocked it out of the park with multiple bad QBs, as did Fuller with the QB merry go round at ND and they were all freshman. If you needed a play, in the air, Fuller made those plays happen not the QB threw a good pass. Admittedly, I am a huge ND fan. It was Fuller and Prosise that kept the team competitive, losing only to Clemson, Ohio State and Standford. If i was DeAndre I too would be worried.

To me the writing is on the wall with the 2016 draft class when 2 out of 6 picks went to one position on a team that really has alot of needs. If you can get your entire WR core to be on Rookie contracts and not pay the superstar and end up with the same level of performance would you do that.

We'll see what happens, but the last time i remember a Rookie doing this was Pay Me Rick Dante Robinson and we all know how well that ended. I don't count AJ because i think there is a wildly different circumstance there with him and his holdouts for better contracts though the years.

I don't really know what Hopkins means with this franchise, but for a team that has a top WR in all of football they sure drafted and have alot of WR. Oh and don't think i don't know you have to have 2 good ones or one good one and one okay WR. Presently we may have Lynn Swan and John Stalworth (arguably the best tandem in all of football history). But do we really need that.

And BTW, you keep him though this year when you make your home town run @ the Superbowl and next year you dont' have to keep him and you don't eat your salary cap. This might not be a popular position, but I would be surprised if he gets some 10 year 50 million contract.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. Texan_fan_13

Actually, I did. And I can't remember if i posted it here or @ texans.com while defending fuller. If I was DeAndre, and i saw all these wide receivers drafted and I would have to consider this as well. And normally i get upset at this type behavior because i think its a cry baby manoeuvre, but in this case, not so much and here is why.

My theory is if you have them all go out there and do great you don't need to pay DeAndre the big money and save on a huge cap hit. Fuller #1, Strong #2 Miller #3 and you still have Shorts and even Mumphrey if you really want to go down that far. Note you don't have to agree with me but think Bellichek and how he handled receivers, they have all been interchangeable though the years for TB.

#1 Historically the Texans have worked out the rookie contracts in the 4th year not the 5th. Makes me think there has been little effort made to do this.

#2 If the new guys work out, and I get that we don't have alot of ND fans on this board, but in as much as DeAndre knocked it out of the park with multiple bad QBs, as did Fuller with the QB merry go round at ND and they were all freshman. If you needed a play, in the air, Fuller made those plays happen not the QB threw a good pass. Admittedly, I am a huge ND fan. It was Fuller and Prosise that kept the team competitive, losing only to Clemson, Ohio State and Standford. If i was DeAndre I too would be worried.

To me the writing is on the wall with the 2016 draft class when 2 out of 6 picks went to one position on a team that really has alot of needs. If you can get your entire WR core to be on Rookie contracts and not pay the superstar and end up with the same level of performance would you do that.

We'll see what happens, but the last time i remember a Rookie doing this was Pay Me Rick Dante Robinson and we all know how well that ended. I don't count AJ because i think there is a wildly different circumstance there with him and his holdouts for better contracts though the years.

I don't really know what Hopkins means with this franchise, but for a team that has a top WR in all of football they sure drafted and have alot of WR. Oh and don't think i don't know you have to have 2 good ones or one good one and one okay WR. Presently we may have Lynn Swan and John Stalworth (arguably the best tandem in all of football history). But do we really need that.

And BTW, you keep him though this year when you make your home town run @ the Superbowl and next year you dont' have to keep him and you don't eat your salary cap. This might not be a popular position, but I would be surprised if he gets some 10 year 110 million contract.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  12. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

13. htowntexans1985

htowntexans1985 1st Round Pick

Deandre saw the week's forecast, and said a 40k a day fine in that heat was money well spent :kitten:

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Man, that would suck for DeAndre... everyone would be surprised at that

15. Texan_fan_13

You know what i meant ;)

16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Sorry, I don't read meanings, only what was written

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

This is what I thought, veterans aren't supposed to report until tomorrow.

Texian is right, more or less. Bob had to have words with Andre to get him back to camp. Not exactly Jerrylike but I get the point.

We don't have the money available to pay Hopkins the way he should be paid. If this is happening, we're going to see a few contracts restructured that we probably rather not touch right now. Cushing #1. I think they're happy with what he did last year & they're looking at extending him, but would rather have another year to evaluate.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

But he's only going into year 4 when they picked up the fifth year. Remember what you thought about redoing Andre's contract after three years.

Who has gotten paid from Hopkins' draft class?

19. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

It's not so much his draft class but more about his production on the field. A Pro Bowler at the top of his position is schedule to make only $1MM this year and half of what he's worth next year. A career ending injury and Hopkins gets nothing. Hopkins is in the same league as JJ Watt and JJ getting his contract 2 years early. Basically what I see here is more discombobulation from the Texans and a repeating pattern of behavior circa 2009.

T.Y. Hilton $65,000,000 $13,000,000 25
    A.J. Green 4 $60,000,000 $15,000,000 27
    Julio Jones 5 $71,256,045 $14,251,209 26
    Keenan Allen 4 $45,000,000 $11,250,000 24

20. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Wonder if Cushin would walk if they insisted on him making concessions of his current contract ? Oh wait, that's really another conversation for another time.
    Of course as a Texans fan I don't like this but it's a shrewd move on D-Hops part. Or I should say his agent because I don' think players com up with these sorts of strategies.
    With 2 of the top 3 draft picks this years being receivers (including the top pick) and a new RB who is also a pass-rceiving threat, and Strong looking primed for a good year it's likely that D-Hops production drops some this year. He may have max leverage right now.
    Just how important is D-Hop to this organization ?