Deandre Hopkins could have been playing in SB LI

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by cbs1507, Feb 5, 2017.

1. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

I didn't say Garropalo didn't have potential. He was the QB I wanted us to draft after we took Clowney and even mocked the Texans taking him right before that draft. I wouldn't mind giving up some picks for him now. But our All-Pro caliber WR? No thank you. Jimmy is way too unproven for me to do that.

Texas Jake, thunderkyss and JB like this.
  2. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

My question is why would you cripple Garoppolo (or whoever) by trading away his/our best weapon?

Texas Jake, Max and thunderkyss like this.
  3. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

No clue. That question should be asked to powda and the people saying they would trade Hopkins for Garropalo.

4. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

Uhhh, i didnt say trade him. I asked WOULD YOU to spark conversation.

5. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

Fair enough.

powda likes this.
  6. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I can kind of understand this, but at some point you've got to give up something to gain, and when its the QB position anyone can go unless it's Watt. I only make exception to Watt, because He's LT or better. I love Hopkins to death, but what I think you're failing to see with Hop is that our offense still sucks even with him. You remove him right now, and our offense isn't much worse. That isn't Hop's fault, but our QB's aren't adequate, so his value drops a lot because of it. Its a lot easier to find receivers again later once you have a QB. The position is to important and if you feel that the guy is capable of being that guy, you give up valuable players sometimes or valuable picks, but I typically prefer the picks. People seem to act like they need to see Dan marino available to give up high value players for a QB, but the reality is you'll never see a QB that proven on the market. The great QB's that are already proven get resigned and don't hit market like that. They just don't.

ROO likes this.
  7. Texecutioner

Dak Prescott came in this season without his best receiving weapon and did just fine. QB's do it every year. You ask that question as if no team should ever acquire a QB unless they have great WR's already. Well that just doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes they go to teams with a great receiving core, and sometimes they go to a team with a strong Oline but poor skill players. Finding productive WR's isn't really that hard to find. Finding a QB is. Hopkins is only a strong value to us if we have a QB that can feed him the ball. He helped to carry the offense a lot under Fitz and Mallet/Hoyer and over achieved, but under Oz Hopkins just wasn't as productive. Their offense sucks until they find a QB, so Hopkins being on our team doesn't make our team much better. Hell, if we don't get a strong QB this season (We likely won't), the Texans might as well trade him for high value while they still can, because he'll just be wasting his career here.

ROO likes this.
  8. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

What are you talking about? Dez Bryant started 13 of 16 RS games, and the first two preseason games. He missed games 4-6. Not exactly the equivalent of trading him away.

9. Texecutioner

I said nothing about trading him away in Dez. I mentioned that Dak played really well without him in the lineup and Dak was a rookie. Russell Wilson has been pretty damn good with a lack of weapons his entire career as well. OBi was making it seem like a young QB can't go to a new team without great weapons and can't still end up playing well. The reality is that you'll pretty much never go out and get some great young QB with a ton of great weapons for him already. The NFL is give and take at all positions all the time. Every SB team has holes somewhere, but they tend to hide them better or the strengths of their team over power the small weaknesses. There are very few teams that are set up perfectly for a QB to have great offensive success especially when they first get there.

10. ChampionTexan

Your post specifically (and exclusively) mentioned Dak not having his best receiving weapon, and that was simply not true. As to the rest of your response, I didn't mention anything about those things, because neither did you.

ObsiWan likes this.

11. Texecutioner

And that was true. Dez was hurt for a good chunk of that season. They won every game, but a very tight one against the Giants.

12. ChampionTexan

Again, Dez started 13 of 16 games in the 2016 regular season. If you want to believe that's consistent with your statement, I can't stop you.

13. Texecutioner

Okay then since you want to try and make this so difficult to understand, tell me what elite weapons he had at receiver then? He is just a rookie, and had probably the best rookie season of all time with Dez out and with Dez not even playing that well at first. Dez didn't even seem like himself until the end of the season. Dak played pretty well throughout the entire year. And I'll bring up Wilson again as well as he didn't need elite weapons as young QB to be effective right away. It isn't some deal breaker.

14. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

I understand having to give up something to get Jimmy G. I just have limits to how far I would go to get him. 2nd and 4th round picks? Ok, I can get behind that. Garropalo hasn't improven his stock enough since the Patriots drafted him at the end of the 2nd round to make me think it's a good idea to trade our Pro-Bowl WR for him. We do this and Hopkins becomes elite with Brady throwing him the ball. Brady makes ordinarily WR's look good. How do you think Hopkins is going to look with Brady? Right now Garropalo is just as unproven as the QB's I mentioned earlier. Yes, he has potential but he has a huge chance of failure too.

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Dez was there for 13 of 16 games; 14 if you count the playoff game. Elliott was there all 16 games. Concensus was that the Cowboys had one of the best O-lines in the league. When defenses have to worry about stopping the league's leading rusher, was Dez really carrying their offense last season?

OTOH, if Garoppolo came here, he wouldn't have the league's leading rusher or a top-flight O-line. And you want to trade the primary weapon he would have which is Hopkins. That does not sound like a recipe for success to me.

Then again, you're really a Patriots fan so you'd love to give Tom Brady a weapon like Hopkins wouldn't you; no matter what it does to the Texans?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  16. Texecutioner

All you've said here is that so and so can't be successful without a flurry of weapons and a perfect offensive situation. Dumb argument considering how many examples prove that wrong, and even more so because hardly ever does a QB go to a team loaded with receivers. And maybe you didn't notice, but the Patriots just won their 2nd SB in 3 years with a bunch of guys that were nobodies before they got to the Patriots so the last part if your post really lacked thought.

17. sandman

sandman Brexit Advisor

Pats had the #8 overall defense, the #1 defense on points allowed and a rushing game that was #7 in total yards and #4 in rushing TD's. But that had nothing to do with them winning the Super Bowl, because Tom Brady.

18. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

You're very confused. Go back and re-read my post and show me where I said the words "perfect situation" or "flurry of weapons".

I said Garoppolo wouldn't have the assets that Dak Prescott had (stud O-line, top flight RB) so it makes no sense to trade the only real weapon he'd have if he came to Houston.

The Patriots have been successful because their HC and his system that makes them successful. He's won with different RBs and different QBs and stud WRs and whodat WRs. The constant has been Belichick. Oh, and like Sandman said, they have, and pretty much have always had, a solid defense. You can thank Belichick for that consistency too.

19. Texecutioner

None of which has anything to do with what we were talking about.

20. Texecutioner

You have no clue about the history of their team based on what you just wrote.