Dead Weight

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by shawn76ers, Aug 10, 2008.

1. shawn76ers

shawn76ers Texan Genius

It's time to cut the dead weight on this team...especially after watching the game tonight.

Bye Bye Weaver, Ahman, Faggins & Damaged goods Chris Taylor "Reminds of the Spencer situation"

And i hope everyone notice how m. greenwood sat on his ass & watched cutler run 15 yds for that TD , he is getting slower & slower each yr. :jogger:

2. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Faggins didn't seem like dead weight tonight. He got beat sometimes but he also made his share of plays. It wasn't like Greenwood getting beaten around the corner by a qb.

3. GP

GP Go Texans!

...by a qb with the diabetes.

Cutler could have whipped his device and performed a finger-prick test while running that TD, and Greenwood would have still been beaten.

TEXANRED likes this.
  4. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I have been one of the most vocal opponents of Faggins, but he had a pretty good game tonight. He's never going to be a cover corner, but he made some good plays in run support tonight, and he got his man to the ground very well.

Greenwood's speed has never impressed me, and all I heard about when he came here was how fast he was for a LB.

Ahman's got to go. Taylor didn't impress me. Weaver I didn't watch.

I have not reviewed my DVR yet, so this is all from my initial thoughts at the game.

5. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

I thought Faggins had a pretty nice game tonight.

6. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

Just because he has diabetes, does not make him less of a football player.

7. Revolution

Revolution All Pro

I can't see how anyone can say that we should cut Faggins after last night. I guess it is all the negatives from previous seasons built up because as stated a few times already, Faggins played a good game.

I was very impressed by D. Brown last night (initial thoughts).

Taylor and Green both concern me. Has any thought been given to the field causing some of the leg and knee problems we seem to always have?

Overall: very sloppy game. You could tell there hasn't been much hitting going on during TC.

8. shawn76ers

shawn76ers Texan Genius

when i say that Faggins had a bad game...i am specifically talking about his abilty to stop the RB coming out of the backfield...
    yea-he looked descent against denvers 2nd string WR's - but they are nobodies.

HE repeatedly took bad angles & to me seemed scared to make that big hit on #23 for denver.

9. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

Petey didn't play real bad, but he makes to much money to be a dime CB. Ahman Green is not going to make it and I didn't think glenn earl played very well either.

10. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

AhMonI'm-Injured-Again Green is a waste of a roster spot. Screw it, let him go and do the best with what we have left.

11. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

Come on guy its the first game that isn't for real. Greenwood will eventually be replaced by a faster more athletic Xavier Adibi, but not in the first preseason game. By the way, no one ever accused Cutler of being slow....he was coming right at us and that dude was moving pretty good.

GlassHalfFull likes this.
  12. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

i thought it was a solid first outing.. plenty of room for improvement especially in the run game etc but some bright spots roo..
    im not going to critique anybody/overreact too bad after this game

despite the knee jerk reactions, i think we should keep ahman around though

13. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I watched the game twice already. Here are some things that haven't been mentioned and some things that need to be emphasized again:

Duane Brown seems capable of handling the outside rush. He got absolutely blown up on a few bull rushes that scare me since they were coming from a "speed" rusher.

I am saying "I told you so" about Green. I will never post on this board again if you can find a post of mine saying he was a good pick up. Not once.

Bennett looked to have a difficult time closing and was beat down the seam (QB and WR didn't communicate though).

Faggins did not have a "good" game. He was slow to close the gap on screens and couldn't contain a RB on a dumpoff that he had a pretty easy play on.

The most impressive DB tonight was #21 Fletcher. He showed good technique in man coverage and was willing to stick a man or two. I liked that he didn't give a huge cushion.

Shaub didn't appear to have the best arm strength as he floated a few passes.

Sage didn't look too sharp.

#16 Carter will not make this team after that drop.

Slaton showed good promise at RB and at KR. He should see an increase in his snaps next week, even if Green returns.

Mario was amazing. He couldn't be blocked. e came across the entire OL to make a backside tackle at the LOS.

Ryans looked good filling the gaps and getting through the gaps.

Okoye had two really nice plays where he blew trough the line to get into the backfield.

14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Faggins takes rotten angles...consistently. I texted out an angle comment last night to some friends when he blew that one play. I thought he tackled well otherwise.

On the greenwood play (non-play) he also took a rotten angle when Cutler took off...he ran right at Cutler at first when he left his coverage instead of taking the angle to the corner of the field. That made him look much slower than he actually is (lack of football instinct).

15. big homey

big homey Veteran

If you're talking about Elvis Dumervil, he's been praised for his ability to bull rush despite his size. It's a leverage/hand-placement thing that Brown will have to work on.

Amongst those few plays he had several other ones where he was able to bring the ball carrier quickly and reliably. Not saying he's pushing for even a nickel spot, but he ought to make the 53.

I'll have to catch the replay for this one, but Schaub looked sharp to me. I don't think he even threw downfield enough to "float" anything.

Plus, had he not gotten deathlocked on Cutler's TD, Cutler wouldn't have even broken containment.

Also, it looked like the whole Broncos' front 7 was committing to Taylor's carries, and I also saw 8 in the box pretty often. In a real game the playcalling would have shifted away from the run, but I believe Kubiak was more concerned with giving Taylor his carries. Give it couple weeks before you rag on him.

I agree with the rest of your assessment, but my opinions may change once they show the game again (I'm just going off what I thought I saw at the game last night).

16. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

In Greenwood's defense he was in coverage running the other way when Cutler tucked and ran. I personaly want to see Adibi there this year, but call it what it was. He wasn't in a spy mode. I'm not picking on your quote I just started rambling. I agree with what you said.

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

he was but he took a rotten angle and ran directly at Cutler when he should have taken more of a horizontal path. Greenwood wasted several steps as he had to adjust his angle on the fly and it was just too late then.

18. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Anyone else hear Andre Ware's comments about Ahman during the drive home last night? It was about 10:30ish I'm guessing - when he said ... my words not his but very close to I quote: 'I hope Ahman isn't trying to pull that old veteran trick to find a way to get yourself out of a (meaningless preseason) game because that won't set very well with Kubiak.' Vandermeer quickly went to Matt Jackson in the locker room where he did a really good post-game interview of Chris Myers.

19. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

thats really stupid..
    he works really hard in the off-season but doesnt feel like playing 15 snaps? and the last thing he'd want to do after last season was 'fake' an injury.. this isnt robaore smith we're talking about here

do these 'experts' ever think something through before opening their traps?

20. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Ahman will be fine, imo. He felt a tweak in his groin, same as AJ. Both of them have a history of knee problems. Lets give them a chance. Its not like we have a better RB