Dead Money

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans_Chick, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

For those who think the Texans need to be spending more in free agency, check out the just released cap numbers.

And unfortunately, everyone in division has more money to play with.

2. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

So is it next year then when all this work chipping away at our cap and not spending it on big names,etc.... starts to pay off?

3. GP

GP Go Texans!

LOL.

Who was it around here who was trying to infuse us with the idea that we had all this money to play with this offseason?

We will suck. Again.

It's just our way of helping to keep the world spinning on its axis. Our way of keeping the universe balanced. We're assuming our position within the food chain: Bottom feeders.

(Sigh)

We better have one of those drafts that the media analysts point back to about 5 years from now and say "Remember that amazing draft of 2008 where the Texans selected _________ and ___________ and __________ and __________ and ____________? It's as if they found every great player at every round!"

4. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Why will we automatically suck because we arent going out and getting big name free agents? Heck, we went .500 LAST YEAR while basically leading the league in IR visits and missing AJ for like half the season. Getting healthy alone should make us stronger next year.

5. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

Exactly. They're trying to correct a salary cap problem that Casserly left behind. It won't be corrected until next year. I think the Texans started off by re-signing one of their own FA's, Andre Davis. Look at all the money thrown at big name free agents last year, many didn't work out. I think we can build through the draft and pick up 2nd tier FA's to feel needs. The Colts are doing it that way and it I think they are doing pretty good. I don't see them signing big name free agents.

Draft smart, that is the way you become a good team. Simple as that.

I think Rick Smith knows what he is doing.

6. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

I am just wondering are you sure you are a Texans fan? Because you are the most pessemistic person on this board at the moment. As far as the media saying anything just look at what the media said about Mario and now look at al of them media people having to back peddle and try and ask for forgiveness, well frankly all the ones who said Mario would suck can now kiss my ass in front of Macey's window during their one day sale.

Brando likes this.
  7. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

So according to this article, our Cap number is $114 million. This is how much we can spend, right? So how much are we already contractually obligated for?

According to this estimate
    http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap2008.html
    we're 33-34 mil under the cap (they used $116 mil as the base number, I've adjusted using the $114 mil base number); is that anywhere near close to correct?

8. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

I'm curious as to who the complainers want the Texans to sign. Funny thing is if they signed Asante, people would be like, "Another Casserly move. Overpaid him." I think some people just like complaining. It's the nature of a message board. There's a reason why there are more posts when the Texans lose than when they win.

9. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

I'm A-OK with us not going after big names. That's just not how you fix a team. We've been over the examples, so that's not necessary. Big name, and not-so-big name FA's are getting RIDICULOUS money this year, and those other teams can have'em. Faneca, Berrian, Stallworth - look at the stupid contracts they got. If that's what 'being a player' in free agency is - I don't want to be there, even if we can afford it.

The thing that bothers me about this free agency period so far is that we're losing good depth players on defense. Anderson and Hutchins, while not GREAT players, were good depth at both positions, especially Hutchins... and he signed for next to nothing in Atlanta.

I like the idea that once our cap is fixed, we can go after MAYBE one big to mid-tier name a year, then fill out with young depth and wait for the draft. So far, The Smithiak has given us no reason not to trust them.

10. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Just consider the source(s).

11. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

i just wish we could get rid of anthony weaver somehow.. and maybe get a draft pick for him.. they should of went threw with the greg wesley for weaver trade last season...

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I don't think this has anything to do with "dead money", or bonus money from released players still on the books...directly. This list has to do with the likely-to-be-earned incentive bonuses cap trick.

The Texans haven't had the extra cap room to write these incentives into contracts, because they've had to carry the unallocated bonus money of players like Carr, Walker, Wade, etc. And that's why they are upside down on this particular cap adjustment. They've actually had to pay some earned incentives, and haven't earned as much from the cap trick.

From the HPF salary cap sheet (linked above), the Texans are carrying over $6.5 million in dead money in 2008. But, a lot of teams are carrying that much dead money. What the Texans likely want to do is not spend to the cap this year, write some of these likely-to-be-earned incentive bonuses into contracts, and receive the positive cap adjustment next year. Some fans may scream that the Texans aren't spending to the cap, and being cheap. The probability is that Rick Smith is attempting to set the Texans up to become major players in the next, and hopefully deeper, free agent class.

13. brickman

brickman Rookie

BINGO!!!!! M Shadows...... you are right on. This is how to build a powerhouse for the future. Not many free agent signings in the end result make that much difference in a team's record. You draft for the future and fill a few gaps with moderate or low priced free agents. As an example... how do the Redskins doing every year with big spender Danny Boy Snyder?

Brando likes this.
  14. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

IMO, we already are having amazing drafts...just look back at the 2006 draft class were the Texans selected Williams and Ryans and Winston and Spencer (if he can get healthy) and Daniels. And then by the end of next year you'll be hearing the analyst's talk about the 2007 draft class where the Texans selected Okoye and Jones and Bennett. This regime is building through the draft, like they should be doing and I have faith that they will continue to draft quality players again in 2008.

:fans:

15. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

You are rediculous.

16. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

This should be required reading reguarding this off-season and cap issues.

17. Texans_Chick

Good point.

I realized the header of the post was misleading right after I hit the post button but figured it wasn't worth changing.

18. Texans_Chick

Huh?

You are pessimistic because we didn't overpay for any number of free agents? Some of these numbers out there are crazy.

19. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

Wow, I must be losing my touch in my old age.

Mike

Specnatz likes this.
  20. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

HAHA ......... That made me laugh.