Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DE Tony Weaver signed

Nighthawk said:
Would somebody please explain why in heaven's name we went after Weaver and didn't make a move on Pryce? It just makes no sense at all, and then to pay Weaver Pryce money to boot.

Somebody on this club has his head up his backside.

Or, maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't heard an explanation that makes any sense at all. If money talks, and it usually does, we should have gotten Pryce. Maybe he doesn't like Kubiak, or the other way around? Help me!

Pryce's contract is 5 years $25 million with a $10 million dollar signing bonus, I don't think anyone even knows for sure yet what Weaver's contract is worth yet.

I don't get the whole Portis over Gaff thing. We passed on Portis twice in the second. Shouldn't it be Portis over Pitts?

wags said:
I don't get the whole Portis over Gaff thing. We passed on Portis twice in the second. Shouldn't it be Portis over Pitts?

What's funny is that Weaver was the pick after Portis.

Why go after Pryce? He is on the wrong side of 30 and his skills have been slipping for like 3 years. Not to mention hes had some back problems. So in short he would be like a bigger Gary Walker. Weaver is younger and entering the prime of his career. He didn't have a lot of sacks but no one on that defense did when thay switched to a 43.

just dropped by to say love the pick up but hate the price.........you guys consistently get crushed in FA............overpaid for RSmith, Wade, and those LBers................CC should be shot.............but dont feel too bad because the Jags just blew a wad of cash on a very avg CB...............andre dyson is a better player than him.................good luck............at least weaver can play and is an anchor............weaver remind me of Bobby Hamilton formerly of the Pats..........solid steady but not spectacular at any one thing.

he is a very solid DE in the mold of KCarter now not in his prime, like bobby hamilton, like trace Armstrong, like Paul Spicer or Reggie Hayward...........solid but very avg..............I guess the prices in Houston require more cash............you guys paid a ton...........just look at KVB deal and his production compared to weaver...............Reese owns CC every yr.............we have about 15 mil to spend and i bet will get a LB or two pretty cheap....like thorton leber or ayodele.................

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports the Houston Texans have reached agreement on an undisclosed contract with free agent DE Anthony Weaver (Ravens). Weaver is expected to receive $13 million in guaranteed money...........

Bongo59 said:
he is a very solid DE in the mold of KCarter now not in his prime, like bobby hamilton, like trace Armstrong, like Paul Spicer or Reggie Hayward...........solid but very avg..............I guess the prices in Houston require more cash............you guys paid a ton...........just look at KVB deal and his production compared to weaver...............Reese owns CC every yr.............we have about 15 mil to spend and i bet will get a LB or two pretty cheap....like thorton leber or ayodele.................

We are starting to hear that the 13 million guarantee is incorrect. Deal could be 5year 13 million total, which makes a lot more sense,

Note: that Richard Smith coached K. Carter last year and he may be considering Weaver a similiar player as Bonog just mentioned.

no ..............I have it confirmed....he got 13 mil in guarranteed money..............that is alot for a guy who is solid but avg.............but you paid RSmith the same way................Texans FO is pathetic..........and McNair has made a mistake keeping Charlie the clown there..............even Bud made changes when it was this obvious.

John Clayton didn't mention that it was guaranteed, so there is some debate as to the contract we gave him.

Bongo59 said:
no ..............I have it confirmed....he got 13 mil in guarranteed money..............that is alot for a guy who is solid but avg.............but you paid RSmith the same way................Texans FO is pathetic..........and McNair has made a mistake keeping Charlie the clown there..............even Bud made changes when it was this obvious.
How is it confirmed.

i got it straight from the ravens FO..weaver called them to match before he signed out of courtesy to Ozzie..............Ozzie passed. I would have passed out with those numbers.

ArlingtonTexan said:
We are starting to hear that the 13 million guarantee is incorrect. Deal could be 5year 13 million total, which makes a lot more sense.

Not so according to Lenny P

Contract details of the multi-year deal were not immediately available. But league sources said Weaver, a player clearly targeted by the Texans for an early free agency strike, could sign a deal that averages in the $5 million range and includes an eight-figure signing bonus.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364565

eight figure signing bonus: 12,345,678 Walker, Wade, Smith, Greenwood revisted....

Bongo59 said:

We sign a couple of those types every year

McKinney, Wade, Weigert, Greenwood, R. Smith...a couple more I am forgetting. Pathetic assuming the sources are correct.

i am pretty accurate on these deals.............over on our site i told folks three days ago about Brees to NO.............and no one is laughing now in Miami.

Bongo59 said:

According to ESPN as of March 10th, you guys are about $6.2 million under the cap. And why whould guys like Leber leave a winning team and come play "cheap" for you guys?

Bongo59 said:

Why come on here and insult the org. you don't cheer for even if many agree with you when you know nobody will appreciate it? You'll be way more welcome if you can simply talk about the signing without making it personal. We get it you think it's a bad deal.

If Weaver averages double digit sacks for the next five years he will be worth it(and he defends well against the run). Vanden Bosch could easily get hurt again and make the comparable Weaver deal look solid. Yeah it looks questionable for now but wait and see before hurling ridicule.

Bongo59 said:

And by the way, per www.kffl.com, Leber signed with the Vikings...

hi, im bongo ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

seriously though we overpaid but we have to.we're the worst team after all. lets save this until next year if weaver sucks(unlikely). hes young and promising (according to espn who had him at #15 in FA). to be honest i would've been more upset if we had gone for pryce instead(30+, injury prone)

"Contract details of the multi-year deal were not immediately available. But league sources said Weaver, a player clearly targeted by the Texans for an early free agency strike, could sign a deal that averages in the $5 million range and includes an eight-figure signing bonus. "
So Len P. is reporting Bonus money of =>10 M.

nunusguy said:
Amortized pro rata (means straight-line, evenly, etc.) over the term (years) of the contract.

In other words, about 2 million jr bacon cheeseburgers a year.

Nighthawk said:
Would somebody please explain why in heaven's name we went after Weaver and didn't make a move on Pryce? It just makes no sense at all, and then to pay Weaver Pryce money to boot.

Or, maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't heard an explanation that makes any sense at all. If money talks, and it usually does, we should have gotten Pryce. Maybe he doesn't like Kubiak, or the other way around? Help me!

Looking around, I see some people have Pryce listed as a DT and Weaver as a DE (12th best DE in FA according to Scout.com).

I dont think people think about anything other than the players madden rating. What about Pryce's attitude? Weaver's work ethic? Pryce's lack of leadership? Weaver's dedication? Their thoughts on Houston, Kubiak, and the organization.

There is more to getting a player, than numbers, and salary.

THE NFL DRAFT said:
I dont think people think about anything other than the players madden rating. What about Pryce's attitude? Weaver's work ethic? Pryce's lack of leadership? Weaver's dedication? Their thoughts on Houston, Kubiak, and the organization.

There is more to getting a player, than numbers, and salary.

ha, nice1.
also price is alot older and has been injured alot. weaver hurt his toe last season. id prefer to have weaver than pryce

Maddict5 said:
if its a 5 year contract and 10m bonus- 2m v the cap this year i think plus salary

It wouldn't really be that huge a cap hit. 3 mil for a couple of years increasing maybe 250k per year.

"It looks like Weaver will be a definite asset to the Houston defense. He has the reputation of being able to pick apart offensive linemen to get access to the backfield. While he was attending Notre Dame, it was reported by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com that he was not allowed to practice against the Fighting Irish offense because of his ferocity."

This Scout quote is from the folks who have him the 12th rated DE in FA. The thing is all the others are much older or are already signed or franchised except Carlos Hall and Darren Howard. Howard would be really steep and Hall I think is misplaced. To be honest this is almost the best we could do at finding a guy to play strongside DE and looking at the future also. I'm probably overoptimistic but this looks pretty good to me.

Hulk75, i get the feeling that since carr was re-signed (only thing you really care about) everything else is bliss.

we could have signed a monkey to play FS and you would probably say it was a good move.

I wanted us to draft Weaver when he entered a few years back. We took Chester Pitts at pick #50, then Denver took Clinton Portis and Baltimore took Weaver.
I like the signing, just hope we didn't over pay.

If the money is correct, I don't see how this could be a bad pick. The guy is young, well thought of and was the starting LDE for one of the best defenses in the NFL. That doesn't sound like a bad pick up. Is he a pro bowler....Nope. Is he a solid hard working type....Yup. I like the pick. For some folks, if it isn't a big name with lots of hype, then the guy isn't any good.

Nighthawk said:

Looking around, I see some people have Pryce listed as a DT and Weaver as a DE (12th best DE in FA according to Scout.com).

Actually, Scouts has Weaver as the #6 and Pryce as the #5. Considering the #4 resigned with his team and the #3 is a weakside DE the only better possibilities available would have been Howard or Abraham. At this point in their careers Weaver over the next 5 years is better than Pryce for 5 years. Pryce won't make it 5 years without missing time with injuries. Weaver missed one game in the 1st 3 years.

edo783 said:
If the money is correct, I don't see how this could be a bad pick. .

So a deal that averages in the $5 million range (per year) and includes an eight-figure signing bonus ($10 million +) is good?

Considering the team didn't have a strongside DE and there were only 5 worth picking up in FA: Abraham, Weaver, Howard, Kampman, Pryce.

I would have liked to see Kampman or looked at Howard, but I don't know what his plans were. Unless Abraham was included in a trade for the #1, he wasn't coming here.

I like Weaver over Pryce. Did he probably cost more than the team might have wanted to spend. Probably. The problem they face is they need someone to fill that position and that puts them in a tough spot. Let's say they offer less and he says he wants to visit another team. That team is a little better and they offer him the same deal. He signs there and now the Texans are really down to Howard who may not even have interest in Houston. When you have some players at a position already you might be able to play a waiting game and hopefully improve. When you have nothing in the cupboard you have to get to the store quickly before the bread is gone.

This signing shouldn't be considered on par with the Greenwood or Wade signings. Those were players that weren't necessarily better than what the team already had. Weaver improves the D-Line. With Smith, TJ, and either Peek or Babin (or maybe even Mario if they drop down), this is the makings of a very good front 4 that can maybe do something more than fall down and get hurt.

The Dude Abides said:
Sounds like he's not too bad if they have him ranked 15 overall.

of course that might just be in DE category.

I was over at a Raven's MB and from what I read they hate to lose him, he is one of the hardest working guys on the team, he started stepping his game up last season and then got injured, but it was everyone's opinion that 13 million guaranteed is a little much.

LINK

aj. said:
So a deal that averages in the $5 million range (per year) and includes an eight-figure signing bonus ($10 million +) is good?

Well, that depends on what the going rate is for a YOUNG starting LDE from one of the top NFL defenses is. I think that is pretty close to what the market is for them. There might be some "It's a crap team" premium built in, but I don't think its much.

Here is a bit more from the ESPN artical:

Weaver, 25, is considered an emerging defender who seems ready to elevate his game. He is better against the run than the pass but has improved his pass-rush skills. He played in just 10 games, with eight starts, in 2005 because of back and toe injuries. But Weaver, who has missed just one game in his first three NFL seasons, was healthy by the end of the season, and his health is not a concern to Houston officials. Weaver finished with 46 tackles and two sacks in 2005.

I was wondering just now if signing Weaver was meant as our strongside DE (meaning we likely wouldn't go after Mario Williams in the draft and would 99% guarantee we're getting Bush) or if was signed to come in and gain a little weight and be a DT for us (presumably we'd be cutting Payne this offseason, leaving Weaver and Robaire as our starting DTs and Travis Johnson as a backup). I doubt they'd have Weaver at strongside DE and still draft Mario to be our weakside DE since they just signed Antwan Peek to the high RFA tender ($1.55M for 2006), so either Weaver is meant to be a younger DT and replace Payne or he's meant to be our LDE and we're getting Bush at #1.

aj. said:

$5 million a year with $13 million signing bonus for a 5-year contract seems very high for me, but HoustonProFootball changed their article and it now says:
"While terms are not yet known, the paper reported that Weaver expected to receive $13 million."
so that sounds like he is getting a total of $13 million, which sounds a lot more reasonable and makes me wonder if he is supposed to be a DT rather than a DE (it had said earlier today that he was expected $13 million in guaranteed money, but now just says he is expected to be paid that).

Weaver is better then anyone we have. However he is injury prone but with a full offseason to heal that may be fixed.

I think he is going to be a DE. Isn't the scouting report on him that he would really flourish in th 4-3 defensive scheme? We have more than enough DTs, I can't imagine us adding another when we have many capable DTs on the roster.

Back