DD's Durability

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Frills, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Frills

Frills Veteran

Held out of practice yet again today

Now a gametime decision, which means OUT

2. Let's see we have Wells, Morency, and Hollings. I kinds like Wells when he glares back at Carr when Carr misses him in on the flat passes. Oh the joy and excitement!

I'd like to see Hollings get in there for a couple of plays before he gets hurt, though.

3. TexanAlmighty

TexanAlmighty Veteran

Another weakness of DD............

4. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I thought he looked a little peeved about that last game. That was good to see.

5. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

DD is in almost on every play, and he is by far the most productive player on the team. When he gets so much action as he do, he is more likely to get hurt.

DD getting hurt is not because he's brittle, but more likely because he is carrying an overload in every single game.

6. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

While it is not totally fair given the physical nature of the position, this is the number reason that DomDavis will probably never be considered more than a decent, solid starter in the league. There are only a handful of backs in the league who can regularly take such poundings, but it is one of the things separates one player from another.

On that list of negatives against the current administration, using three draft picks on middle round RBs and not making it a priority to play them regularly in some combination to keep your best RB somewhat healthy needs to be included.

7. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

he will play come on DD has been one of the most durable backs. He takes alot of hits but with an improved line he would be a top 7 or 8 back in the league.

8. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

On that I agree completely, I cry myself to sleep every night (ok, I might be going overboard a bit on that one) because Morency is not getting any time on the field. If our second or third RB would take some of the pressure of DD, he would be less prone to injury. That, as you mention, is coaching related.

9. ArlingtonTexan

We will just disagree here. DomDavis does not take more hits than other RBs. the nature of job is a ton of hits by people bigger than you. IMO, he is the player who benefits the least with a better OL as the run blocking for the Texans has been a decent NFL level during his stay.

The biggest knock on Davis has been his ability to stay healthy or perfom at a high enough level when dinged up.

10. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

notice how USC' s RB's dont have many injury problems because they raerly ever get more then 20 carries each...
    what an idea

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

We all know that the average career of a football player is 4 years and RB's, I would assume, are on the low side of that number. Thankfully we have a very good value in him and have not spent a #1 pick on this very fragile position.

12. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

Also notice they have 1 that runs up the middle and 1 that runs to the OUTSIDE

13. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

But i dont think decent is enought. Imagine if we were say above average how much better would we be

14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Yep and they have no salary cap to work with.

15. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

FYI Davis hasn't practiced in 4-5 weeks and has been listed as a gametime decision in most of those weeks and yet he's played in all of those games and posted his two best games of the year the last two weeks.

16. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

If Davis doesn't play Sunday, should get the rumor mills cranked up into
    rare form and feed those rumors that the Texans aren't sincere about winning
    with the #1 pick now in sight.

17. ArlingtonTexan

If you saying Davis becomes a 1250 yard back instead of squeaking out his 1,000 then I will buy that, but he is not a 1,500 guy waiting to happen. While he gets the most out his ability and what the offense provides him(better than anyone on the team), I don't see the skills needed for him to do significantly more than he is now.

18. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Well if he's not durable we now have "consultant" Reeves to pass that message along to the coaches and those that need to know that.

19. real

real Guest

When will the excuses stop...

20. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I don't know if he'll ever rush for 1500 yards if we improve our team and use him properly, but I can definitely see him getting 1300 rushing yards and 700 receiving yards in a season (he's averaged 1109 rushing and 469 receiving yards in 14.5 games per year thru his first two seasons already, so 1300 and 700 are not at all far-fetched numbers and 2000 yards from scrimmage is far from being mediocre)