D'Brick

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by thague, Jan 29, 2006.

1. thague

thague Rookie

but D'Brickshaw Ferguson was known as the best player at the senior bowl all week during practice.. and he DOMINATED the football game at the tackle position... i have wanted to trade down since we had the number one pick but this has to give kubiak and casserly something else to think about.. even kiper said D'Brick was the best player at the senior bowl, (well him and Williams from Memphis). trade down and take the next Orlando Pace or Walter Jones.

2. Texans>Colts

Texans>Colts Veteran

Or next Jonathan Odgen. :stirpot: :ok: :superman: :yahoo: I would trade down 2 and get the raiders 1st, 2nd round picks, and a player.

3. BREAZE

BREAZE Veteran

I saw a guy juke right and then blow right past him to his left to smash the QB...he should fit in well here.

Nobody is perfect, just an observation. Picking a 1st round lineman is a risky move...especially when we have the #1 in the second, 3rd, 4th rounds,etc. I would only take him if we can get another player...a 2 for 1.

4. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

D'Brick did look solid most of the game other than in the running game. It was noticeable that he was playing at a higher weight than he is used to. I noticed several times that he was stiff out of his break and his punch was off balanced. I also saw a bunch of times were he took his man completely out of the play when trying to pass rush. He earned more respect from me, eventhough I still dont think he has a nasty streak. BTW to all the people that were saying Jon Scott in the second that kid looked horrid during the game, and the Allen kid from UT the center I think, he looks like a 6-7th round pick if he gets picked at all, he better lose weight and try and lach on somewhere as a long snapper.

5. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

Ferguson go beat on one play, that was suprising, but no ones perfect. He dominated the rest of the time and thats what Im interested in.

A couple of other players got beat too and they looked average the rest of the game, and if they looked average in the senior bowl, then they wont be able to get the job done against Freeny twice a year.

In the run game Ferguson looked average at best, which isnt good, he didnt impress, but I did see that he had alot of quicknedss off the ball and the ability to get to running LBs. Getting there is half the battle now if we get Mike Sherman as our o-line coach Im sure he will be able to get him to put hands on the LBs, and as weve seen, once Ferguson is locked up wiht a player, they dont get loose.

6. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Even though he got burnt real bad by one pass rusher's inside move, he
    was without question the best pass blocking OT in the Senior Bowl. However,
    there's still the issue of his ability to be an effective blocker on rushing plays ?

7. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

I'm all for trading down with the pick, but not just to get Ferguson. I'm still curious to see what the new Coaching staff is going to do with the O-line.

8. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

I still like Eric Winston better than D'Brick right now because he is more complete at this moment. I like guys built like the Denver and Patriots line, guys that can play a multitude of positions, but play the position they are very solid. Just my thought. Ferguson is a LT or nothing, I dont think he would do well at the RT or G positions. If you watched the Vtech game and Miami you would see how Ferguson does against stronger pass rushers. Frostee Rucker and Daryl Tapp ate his lunch a good many times, but that could be due to his lack of size at the time and his nagging injuries. Dont get me wrong the guy is likely the best LT prospect in the draft and I would compare him to someone other than future HOFers like Jones and Pace, but he does play somewhat like them without the size or nasty streak, so I guess not much like them anyway. As I saw it Winston was the most complete OL at the Senior Bowl and Ferguson was the best LT and hyped OL at the senior bowl. It made me laugh when Kiper had to spit up a little of his man juice and show the clips of the two sacks he gave up to Daryl Tapp. BTW Winston was credited with 1.5 sacks given up this year and that is why he won the ACC linemen of the year award, damn shame he did not get Rosenhaus to start the hype machine for him.

9. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

There is no way we can trade down for anyone other than Ferguson. As a Hurricane (listen up my UT friends), I am not a proponent of drafting Winston - especially in the early first round. He really did not perform all that well this year with the 'Canes and you will see him struggle at the combines with the bench press (i.e. he simply is not that strong).

10. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

I missed the game so I greatly appreciate the posters who put input into this topic. Wish I could have seen for myself...will it be replayed at any time???

11. jetdoc

jetdoc Rookie

He did it more than ONCE. He got him about 3-4 times IIRC. It was said by the analyst at that time that "...he tends to "long step" on his first step into pass blocking and THAT will get him eaten up in the NFL...". Not saying he can't be taught but let's not make him out to be an "Orlando Pace" or "Anthony Munoz" just yet. Let me put it this way......would his ability make me take a long hard look at him, IF I had a "Franchise Running Back"? That answer would be yes......but with all the holes the Texan's have, they could trade down and get him later. Maybe even as late as 5th or 6th. No later than 6th though. :twocents:

12. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

You realize that scouts.inc ranked the top 20 OT prosepects and 17 out of 20 came in the 1st round (2 were in the 2nd, 1 in the 7th)?? 1st round OTs are proably the easiest to pick because you know what your getting, as opposed to taking a QB or RB where they are the easiest positions to screw up in the draft and are the biggest gamble. D'Brick is a safe bet to me, you can break down every little detail and say he got beat here or there, but when was the last time people were this hyped up about drafting an OT? This guy is going to be great.

13. Zac

Zac Rookie

At the begining of this past season, the number one priority was to upgrade the offensive line. It was no secret that the Offensive line wasn't holding it's own.

Remember last year when ESPN was using the Texans as an example of Team needs to be addressed during the draft. Uhmm, those needs weren't addressed and the Offensive line cost Capers his job.

A Left Tackle is the most important position on the line. Left Tackles, Quarterbacks that can make throws, Running backs that can move the chains, and a key receiver are necesities on each team that wishes to be suceesful. Franchise Left Tackles are real important; let's not downgrade their effect on a team because they aren't scoring touchdowns.

This franchise has been searching for a LT for 4 years. Is it time to go out and piss off a city by passing on Bush and Vince? A recipe :stirpot: for sucess or a PR nightmare?

Winning Solves everything.

14. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

You think Ferguson is stronger than Winston?

15. The Preacher

The Preacher Veteran

16. Texans>Colts

Texans>Colts Veteran

u rite. it is risky picking him #1 overall. that's y we trade down 2 the 5ht or 6th pick and get Fugerson and some extra draft picks

17. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

D'Brick had a good game, but it was not dominant. I thought the scouting reports on him were right on the money - very good feet, good on the speed rush, good technique, gave up alot of ground agianst the bull rush and not a powerful run blocker. Supposedly, D'Brick has put on alot of muscle mass recently, but he will still need to bulk up to hold off NFL defensive ends.

18. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Agree. I was in Hawaii and the only ESPN news I got was Kipers post game "best players" and he wasn't even mentioned. He also had had a inconsistent senior year and had injuries. Why take a pick that high with him?

19. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

D'brick does not need to become such a strong run blocker in the zone scheme. He will get help from the LG in turning his man. He needs his quick feet. The RB is through the hole before he is able to turn back around. Feet are more important than arms in zone blocking.

20. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

potential/need outweigh this risk by a great deal.