Davis Tracking for Over 1,200

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANS84, Dec 6, 2005.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Current Domanick Davis stats:

Attempts: 208
    Yards: 837
    TD: 2
    Rec: 32
    Yards 287
    TD Rec: 3
    Fumbles: 1

Projected end of the year stats:

Attempts: 277
    Yards: 1,116
    TD: 3
    Rec: 43
    Yards: 383
    TD Rec: 4
    Fumbles: 1

You gotta give the guy some credit, he's done a heck of a job protecting the football this year. Only one fumble in 12 games where as he lost 4 fumbles in the first two games last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6437

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

He did have the four fumbles in the first two games, and the SD loss was tough to take, But he did go the last 14 games of the season without a fumble. DD does a pretty good job taking care of the football. Anyone that handles the ball that much is going to cough it up a few times and on a couple of those four from last year, it was just a good play by the defense getting the ball out.

This is a down year for the team, which affects everyone's stats, but DD has done a solid job, IMO.

3. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

DD is the next Tiki Barber. He is a small guy that had fumbling problems, but is a threat receiving and rushing. He shakes off countless tackles and makes something out of nothing. The guy is a talent and probably the best pick that Casserly has made. I base that on AJ and DRob being no brainers. I remember when people wanted Charles Rogers my my how soon we forget.

4. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

the downside to DD is that he doesnt have the breakaway speed like Tiki Barber. 1,100 yds is good, but until he starts putting up 1,300+, then we can compare him to tiki.

5. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

What he said... I'm a big DD fan but he just doesnt have the speed to be one of the elite backs in the NFL. I've never seen him break away from the LOS and end a play in the endzone.

6. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

That is why I said the next Tiki. The first 5 years that Tiki was in the league his highest rushing total was 1006 and he has been over 1300 yds 3 times(I am including this year). So Davis will become one of those rare backs that has had 1000+ yrds in his first three seasons. I compare him to Tiki cause size, stature, speed, and multifaceted ability make them very similar. They also have very similar run styles.

7. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

DD is good, but nothing special. I am not suprised that he is going to get over 1,000.

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

• Barber had runs of 57 and 59 yards on Sunday, increasing his career total of runs 50 yards or longer to eight. That is believed to be a Giants record. Barber’s eight runs of at least 50 yards ties him for fifth among active players.

http://www.giants.com/news/eisen/story.asp?story_id=10588

9. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

DD and tiki do not compare in terms of speed, and that is why tiki is who he is. his speed is the reason why he is an elite back, and domanick doesnt have that. yes, their running styles are similar, but DD couldnt break off a 50 yd run to save his life.

10. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

His rookie season he had rushes of 50 and 51 yd. Domanick Davis has had runs of over 20+ 5 times or more in each season he has been in the league. I think we are arguing a moot point here though. I am not saying that Domanick is a fast back, because he is not he is quick. I am saying that he does break long runs and does it as consistently as almost every other back in the league.

11. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

I thought he had a 40 or 50 yd run in the last game?

12. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

His long run was 29 yards - it just took so long for him to get there it seemed like 50.

THAT WAS JOKE!

13. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

A 1,000+ yard rusher on a 1-11 team. It just goes to show how misleading stats can be most of the time.

DD's potential is why I don't think they'll draft Bush. Too much money would be tied up with one position, and we have way too many holes to fill at the moment that are much more pressing concerns.

14. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

We have a lot of money tied up in just about every offensive posstion and nearly every defensive possition. Our offensive line is overpaid. So with your philosophy that means no drafting a left tackle. Our linebackers are overpaid so that means no AJ Hawk.

I hope when it comes down to the draft our top priority isnt saving money.

15. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

DD's potential is to get somewhere between 1000 and 1200 yards per season plus a couple hundred receiving yards. Reggie Bush's potential is to get 2000 total yards per season. I would take Reggie Bush's potential even if we have a servicable back. That is like saying "we don't need Alex Rodriguez because we have Adam Everett".

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Domanick Davis gets around 1,100 yards every year. I'd get more excited about it if it really made the Texans any better.

It doesn't so I'm not.

Domanick Davis is the Houston Texans version of the Oilers Tim Smith, albeit playing RB instead of WR. He has roughly the same effect on the win column as Smith had and he gets the same "Wow he must be really good!" kind of numbers.

17. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

That's not even close to being the same. A-Rod is a proven superstar at the pro level. Reggie Bush has yet set foot on an NFL field.

18. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Really is 1,100 that impressive? That averages out to about 69 yards per game. A starting running back will generally get around 20 carries a game which means you have to average 3.45 yards per carry. I know he in fact is averaging more than that (around 83 yards per game and 4 yards per carry) but that is because he gets injured every year.

19. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Wait one year.

20. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

ahhh, but the flaw in your logic is that the o-line is not giving us anything near what a 1,100 yard RB gives us at his relative position.

You are making an assumption about my philosophy. If DD was making his jack but only rushing for 500 yards, your comparison would be valid. But it appears that our linemen are being overpaid for what we get in return.

I hope saving money is not a top priority, too. And that includes hiring coaches, or we'll end up back at the same place we find ourselves now.