David Loverne signed

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by aj., Mar 31, 2006.

1. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

2. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

3. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

From what I could gather has had a history of injuries, but still could be an effective back-up if there are no developmental type prospects.

4. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

When is Carl Shirley gonna sign

5. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

good move. Was talking about this with a friend last night. If we have Moulds.. that leaves are two biggest holes at DB, OT, and OG.

We have starters at OT and OG.. but we lack depth.. all in all we would have 1 OT and 1 OG as depth. I figured we would probably make some low key "depth" signings on the line. Glad that the FO agrees with me :)

6. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

and does Loverne get to wear a large cursive "L" on his jersey?

7. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

From the Chronic.

Texans add guard Loverne

The Houston Texans agreed to terms with free agent guard David Loverne on Friday.
    Loverne, who spent the last two seasons with the Detroit Lions, did not play last season after suffering a torn biceps.

The 6-foot-3, 299-pound player has started 24 career games and also played for the New York Jets, St. Louis and Washington.
    He was a third round pick of the Jets in 1999.

8. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

9. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

He missed last season (2005) with a torn Bicep....:ouch:

good zone blocking fit in Kubiacs style, not strong but quick if he can stay healthy :cool:

10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

If we're correct in assuming Wade will be a June 1st cut, I think one of two things must be true:

1. We're actually going to take Ferguson.

2. Kubiak and company have a much higher opinion of both Pitts and Wand than the previous staff. Some, myself included, have argued for two years that most of the OL problems were interior problems. Especially in 2004, I came away from the season quite impressed with Wand. He only committed 3 penalties the entire season (very low total for a tackle) and I thought he rarely was badly beat. Furthermore, the team didn't double or chip often. And, a number of the sacks he was collared with were a result of the inability of Carr to step up into the pocket, either because the interior line was beaten or because of Carr's lack of presence in the pocket.

We have now signed two interior linemen (loevrne, Flanagan) and resigned one (Weary). Meanwhile, other than meeting with Ashworth, I don't think any effort has been made to sure up the tackle position.

11. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Dale,

I think the other option is that they believe Weigert plays RT well enough.

12. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I'm sure they see him as depth at the position. However, I doubt they are counting on a 34 year old, injury-prone guy to start at a position he hasn't really played in three years. I'm sure they will be spending a first day pick on a tackle also. However, if they cut Wade and don't draft Ferguson or sign anyone else at tackle, I think it's clear they like Wand.

13. outofhnd

outofhnd All Pro

I think wand will do great on the RT, he does great against power rush the problem is when he has to take on a speed rusher. Then he loses his momentum and instead of holding turns him loose.

14. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

loverne is a good signing...it greatly improves our depth of just fred weary...it really has yet to be seen if we're going to move weigert to RT or keep him at RG...obviously it will depend on who we are able to pick in the second round...if winston or scott are there i think we'll let them fight it out with weigert for the RT position and the loser will get the RG position...wade i see either being cut after june 1st or we are going to hear that he as restructured his deal so we can trade him to a team that needs a mauling RT for it's running game...like the panthers or patriots

15. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

nothing wrong with adding some depth, and the good thing is that I don't see us paying him that much, but I do not see him really having an impact on this team unless players go down during the season.

16. Frank_The_Tank

Frank_The_Tank Veteran

Well he is 6'3 299, I checked Denver last year and he fits the mold of the guys they had out their, he has been a starter in the past which can't be bad. I hope he comes in hungry for PT and wins a starting job. Heck he can't be worse than what was on the field last year! Another OL addition to the team, :yahoo: ALL RIGHT !!!!!!!!!

17. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I don't think your size makes you good or bad. If he can play, he can, I don't think the fact that he's 6ft. 3in. and almost 300 pounds has to do with anything.

18. Frank_The_Tank

Frank_The_Tank Veteran

Is it a mear coincidence that every OL on Denver is around that size or smaller. A zone blocking scheme needs slimmer, more agile OL to be productive. They did a big wirite up on if at FOXSPORTS but it is clearly evident that the more sucessful OL in Denver were around 290 some were under 290. They had one big bodied kid at right tackle last year and he was a backup that got to play in 4 games and he was like 317. I hope some of the larger bodied linemen on the Texans can be good as well, but thinner line men make it easier for the RB to find holes. Just a proven fact! They are not drive you deep into the linbacker OL they are hit you in the mouth in a hurry and move you latterally left or right into strategic points to open lanes for the RB's.

19. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I know what your saying and I think that's why Kubiak wanted him here. But I just don't think that he will do anything here and he will not start for us just because of his size. I don't think he can beat out or even pressure any of our starters for their starting job.

20. Frank_The_Tank

Frank_The_Tank Veteran

No I understood you, I was just trying to rationalize why this guy could be in the mix of things next year. I mean, Kubiak of Denver, prefered thinner more athletic OL. I believe this is one of the reasons Houston was not jumping out of the gates running after the monster OL in the beginning of the FA. This is also my reasoning on why we will have alot of poetential in this years draft at the OL spot because the kid from OSU, Miami, and even Scott from Texas will all be their in the second, and scott in the 3rd. I Hope!