David Givens a FA this off-season, what are you thoughts?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by SBTexans08, Jan 20, 2006.

1. SBTexans08

SBTexans08 All Pro

Speak your mind, should the Texans go after him?

2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I like Givens as a player. However, WR is not an immediate need in my opinion.

3. Spoda

Spoda Veteran

while i would LOVE to have him...it may mean we never get to see if mathis can play

4. SBTexans08

SBTexans08 All Pro

That's one thing I don't like from what I see out of the Texans (ex-coaching staff really). They play their guys dependant on how much they were paying each guy at their respective position. It would be great and the most sound thing to do to let Mathis beat out Givens or any other WR for that spot. That makes the player hungrier, more competitive and eventually ends up being their work ethic....something that's evidently missing in this team IMO. In the end....the Texans put the best player out in the field.

For instance.....Bradford with all his drops.....they should have sat him out or let another player who looked to have more desire and will to help the team out play in his position. I look at the Armstrong/Gaffney deal as well. Gaffney would screw around a lot and we all know that Armstrong is a fantastic, sure-handed, money type route-runner from what we've seen and if Gaffney was slipping up.......Armstrong should have been put in there, no matter how much the Texans had paid for Gaffney!!

I see other teams put their best player on the field, after each player has earned their roster spot or rank in the depth chart.....not because one is paid more than the other. Hopefully under Kubiak....that's how things will be done.

5. HardCoreTxn

HardCoreTxn Veteran

I agree,...I wonder if he can play TE?

6. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Givens is a solid physical #2 receiver that can somewhat stretch the field. We would be a better team if we could get him at a great price. Since that is not gonna happen and we can get Gaff at a good price then I take Gaff. WR is not a huge need, but then again you really can never have enough good ones. i think WR is something we can address late in the draft and be ok. Right now we need to be concentrating on restructuring Wade, McKinney, and Carr's contracts.

7. Holden135

Holden135 Veteran

I think if we were to get Givens we would have to over pay. Who in their right mind would go from a dynasty to one of the worst teams in the nfl?

8. SBTexans08

SBTexans08 All Pro

It would not be crazy as you make it seem. He would be going from one NFL team to another NFL team. There's been several times where one of the worst teams has gone from pretender to contender in the league and making it to the playoffs.

Last off-season....we saw Mushin Muhammad go from a contender of a team to a pretender Chicago team (what it was considered before the run they had this year). You logic debunked.

You had Santana Moss go from the Jets (playoff team at that time) go to the Redskins (considered a pretender at the time with QB controversies). Your logic debunked again.

Randy Moss did the same last off-season. Going from playoff contender last year to a weak Raiders team.

David Patten went from a dynasty of a team to the Redskins (4-12) team as well, got injured half way through the season. Your logic yet again debunked.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Carolina was 7-9 last year. David Patten was an 8 year journeyman who was not going to be resigned. Debunk all you like, but bunk is as bunk does.

10. SBTexans08

SBTexans08 All Pro

Where's Carolina now? I know they were 7-9 last year....but they were a deceiving 7-9 team. Remember....they lost Smith in the first game of the season. They lost offensive lineman during that off-season after the Super Bowl. But hey...I'll give ya that one....but still....there's many more that do debunk that logic. The Texans are an NFL team and pay millions. Him not wanting to come here because of their record is bull. And if anyone has half a brain....they know the Texans aren't really a 2-14 team with the talent on this team.

11. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

Bottom line is we can't afford to let on single stone go unturned. We could use an upgrade/boost at every position on our team. Yes this means AJ and D-Rob, not to get rid of but compliment them or even drop them to a #2 status if there is a solid #1 at those positions that we're able to bring in.

To answer the thread though, if we don't draft a WR or promote a practice squad guy then I say get him unless there is a better option available. He may bring a winning attitude too.

12. SBTexans08

SBTexans08 All Pro

Completely agree.....make every guy fight for their position....put the best players out on the field. Most def!

13. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Givens is a player that I would be interested in. Gaffney and Bradford are free agents so there is no guarantee of their return. Armstrong and Mathis have shown potential but not enough to assume that either is ready to step into a starting role next year. IMO, the Texans need to sign a veteran starting WR. he does not have be a number 1, but a guy solid guy, see Givens, is in order.

14. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Weren't both Santana and Randy Moss traded to their new teams?
    I don't think Patten had is much choice in the matter that Givens will...
    Muhammed is getting up there in age and took the highest available, which was quite a bit higher than any other offer IIRC.
    Givens will most likely get similar offers from many teams with good records which is a choice I thnk neither Patten or Mush really had...

15. swisher

swisher Old School

Maybe because he already has his rings, and now he'd like to play close to home (hopeflully for a discount). Givens is from Humble and went to Humble High School.

16. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

depends on the price he is asking for.

17. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Maybe we can get an old Troy Brown with him and he can play DB for us also:redtowel: Kidding.

The only drawback I see to him was is he a legit #2 or was it a system where they spread the ball so much that it only looked that way at times. Deion Branch would go off and was considered a #1 I guess but it seemed like they all got their share. Just with the system and Brady throwing, sometimes it can be deceiving. I like him alot though.

18. titan hater

titan hater Veteran

Givens is good, but I'd rather gp after Reggie Wayne...

19. SBTexans08

SBTexans08 All Pro

No doubt!

20. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I would not. Wayne has earned himself a nice paycheck over the last couple of years. The Texans will add another large contract, most likely at a "skill" position. At some point, the Texans are going to have to become better at identifying 2nd and 3rd level FAs who can contribute. Their "sexy" name is likely to come from the draft, Wayne will just have to pass on.