David Carr says Osweiler didn’t get a fair shake?? GMAFB

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Link

OK, this is a joke, right? You youngsters that weren't around here on Day 1 might not grasp the hilarity of this, but ....
    How in the hell does one of the most colossal busts in NFL history become an "NFL analyst"? :gun:

PapaL likes this.
  2. bigmck

bigmck Veteran

Breaking, Breaking.........Ryan Leaf says David Carr didn't get a fair shake.

3. b0ng

b0ng Bad Hombre

Honestly I had this opinion as well but he's not a bad analyst and has said numerous times that he did not put in the work in Houston to be a good QB (which is more self awareness than most guys *cough* Dilfer *cough* have).

He's an ok analyst and can explain nuances of the game in a manner where the average fan can understand what he's trying to say.

I don't agree with this take as the NFL is a cutthroat league and if a guy is that bad you probably aren't cutting a superstar lol

4. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

HWSNBN is an ass. Fair shake my ass. He was given great money to come here and be the man. It took a season to learn that he wasn't who we thought he was. As legit as Derek looks, it's worth it not having Roger or David around. They live in their own little world. Props to Derek tho.

5. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

Would of been a fair shake, but Brock was way off with his hand shake and missed.....

ROO and EVOLVIST like this.
  6. Hervoyel

Hervoyel BUENO!

What does Jamarcus Russell think about all this? That's the opinion that really matters to me. If he thinks Ryan Leaf, David Carr, and Brock all didn't get a fair shake then I'll be convinced.

disaacks3 and False Start like this.
  7. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Y'all are letting your David Carr butt hurt influence your reasoning.
    Just because he was a shitty QB, it doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad analyst, or that he is wrong about Brock.

HOWEVER, he is wrong about Brock.
    Osweiler got more than a fair shake here to prove he sucks and he proved it beyond doubt.

Going back to Carr, he has a better background for being an analyst than any of us, but that doesn't stop us from spouting our opinions about football like we know what the **** we're talking about lol

santo, Max, FuzzyLogic and 2 others like this.
  8. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

It may not have been a fair shake but it's all the "shake" Osweiler was going to get under BOB, especially after that little ahh... "discussion" took place at half time when Savage had his concussion and BOB told Brock he would play the 2nd half. BOB has a short fuse and volatile temper and I have to believe if that altercation took place, and I believe it did, then that was the final nail in Brock's coffin. Whether Brock got a "fair shake" or not he was gone after that incident. JMO.

9. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Exactly! I'm in complete disagreement with him on this specific opinion, but overall, I believe he's a better analyst than most former players employed by NFLN or ESPN.

PHILLYTEXANFAN likes this.
  10. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns Life's a Beach Staff Member

Well, if ANYONE should know about receiving a "fair shake" it's David Carr. He probably thinks it's normal to get 5 years of rope no matter how you produce on the field.

Lucky, ROO, Wolf and 1 other person like this.

11. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

What is GMAFB?

12. sandman

sandman Brexit Advisor

You don't know what GMAFB means??? GMAFB...

13. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

OS is not a spring chicken, this was his fifth season, right. He got 15 starts, that is more than enough to know what he's got or if there is potential lying in wait. What gets missed is how bad he was, his season was probably one of the worst season of a starting qb with that many starts in the last 5 years. The guy had multiple years in the league and he didn't flash something better at all. Its not as if he was up and down and lacked consistency, if Brock was one thing, it was consistent, consistently terrible.

14. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Give Me A F'ing Break

15. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Of course he got a fair shake. Personally, I don't normally agree with jettisoning a guy after only one year in a new offense with new teammates. Guys need time to adjust and then grow. But the Brock situation was unique. He was so bad and his contract was so awful that you couldn't justify giving him the time that you would have given to another player (like Savage for instance).

That contract raised the stakes.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Unlike his starting job for the Texans, David Carr earned his job with the NFL. He did commentary at the college level for a couple of years, I think, & obviously impressed someone.

I don't know about that. It's easy for me to believe Osweiler was forced on O'Brien. There's normally a method you can see as an OC/HC make a concerted effort to get their inexperienced QB comfortable, settled in. I don't think I ever felt as though they tried to help Osweiler get into a rhythm, get comfortable.

That's not to say I wish Osweiler was still here, take more like me saying I'm worried about any young QB we bring in. A veteran who knows how to play, no problem. A young guy who doesn't know what he doesn't know... not so much.

17. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A

"Ifs" and "buts," right?

The fact is, there wouldn't have ever been a Brock Osweiler if OB hadn't taken the interim tact with Fitzpatrick. To me, that is OB's real mistake, aside from the normal growing pains as a head coach.

Of course I really don't know if Fitz was on OB, Rick, or a combination of the two. I lean toward OB. However, mistake #2 was not drafting a quality QB late in the 1st or in the 2nd round.

Hindsight, right? Yet nearly every one of us was barking for a QB in those rounds.

If the fans can see it, why not an NFL head coach, who is only going to go as far as his choice at QB can take him.

David Carr has a good point, though it should have never gotten to this point.

76Texan likes this.
  18. maverick512000

maverick512000 Veteran

Tough to say, I both agree and disagree with him. On one hand Brock was brought into a new team with a mostly new offense and an entirely new coaching style.

Any other time I'd say a guy needs at least a year before you can say he's not the man to lead your team. However, as Wolverinefan said Brocks contract made all the difference here. If you get paid like a star QB then you better be prepared to back it up.

If we had brought Brady or Rogers or Manning in under those same conditions they may not have had a banner year but their talent and skills would have at least let their team have a fighting chance.

Brock was not and is not in the same class as those guys, maybe someday who knows, but we paid him like he was. That's on the FO as much as it is on Brock. If he had only been getting say 10 million a year and still put up those numbers we would have been pissed but maybe willing to give him another season to gel. Getting nearly double that means that most were screaming for his head on a pike

In the end I think I agree that Brock didn't get a fair shake because the stakes and expectations were to high for someone that for all intents and purposes was a rookie. That being said though Brock brought it on himself because he went for the big paycheck without knowing if he could deliver the goods. Basically he bet on himself and came up snake eyes. Which is also a good description of his ability to read the field.

TxnsJuggernaut and EVOLVIST like this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Was he running out of bounds behind the LOS when he gave this inspiring take?

If he wasn't then there's no way I could take him serious.

Heath Shuler likes this.
  20. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Just like Fitz, Hoyer, and Mallett, Osweiler had had experience with the Earnhardt - Perkins system (under Gase and Fox in Denver.

He's no rookie.