David Carr could be released

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans34Life, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2007/03/texans_carr_to_.html

Texans' Carr to Panthers unlikely

2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

He will not get released until June 1st. If he does before hand then I want Rick Smith's head on a platter or skewer with a $7 draft at Reliant.

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Semi-grand Poobah Staff Member

If a trade doesn't happen either before the draft or within a week or two after, what makes you think one is likely before June 1st? Under the new rule, they can get the cap effect prior to June 1st if they want.

4. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

It was my understanding that it was a one time exception under the new CBA last year.

5. sk8termom

sk8termom Rookie

I hsve this strange feeling he will end up in Cleveland. I live there, and get to hear about how awful Cleveland's quarterback situation is: Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson - it's a scary duo. Word around here is that they might be drafting Peterson and looking for another QB. Of course this would be disastrous for Carr as the Cleveland OL is probably worse than the Texans'

6. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I think they will release him, and very soon at that. They want to give him a legit shot somewhere. If they wait until June, he will have no chance at all for a starting spot. I mean I really don't care, but I don't think they want that kind of reputation among the leagues players. Things like this don't happen in a vacuum, and you have to look at the bigger picture sometimes.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Semi-grand Poobah Staff Member

Each team is now allowed to designate two players as June 1st cuts and cut them earlier.

8. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Regardless, they should at least hold on to him until after the draft. Team needs aren't completely static, and there may be trade opportunities around draft day that don't exist at the moment.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

If that is the case wasn't there a window when that designation had to be made? For some reason before the end of March is in my memory. Will do some looking around.

10. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

Same thing was said about Plummer and Denver still managed to get a 4 for him...

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

If my understanding was wrong, as it does look, then yes he should be released sooner than later as it is the right thing to do due to him being an upstanding person in my opinion.

12. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I wouldn't be surprised if Carr knows where he wants to go but with the bloated salary feels like he is holding the cards right now. He isn't going to rework his contract unless hes going to the team of his choice...and if he doesnt get that team, he can just wait for his release and sign with them as a FA while still raking in a ton of money from the Texans.

I agree though its in his best interest to go now...just wonder who will actually give up a pick for him.

13. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

He'll get released way before then. The mini-camps and OTAs start in May, and I seriously doubt they will want him anywhere around. He'd be such a distraction, it wouldn't even be funny.

I got to take note of this quote from Rick Smith at the presser today.

Well Hell Rick baby! If you can manage to somehow dump Carr's contract and get a draft pick out of it, you'd be da man! If you can do that, I pity the poor soul that even thinks about criticizing you for about the next 3 years, because I will be all over him like flypaper.

I don't think you can pull it off. Show me that you weren't talking out of your *****.:challenge

14. t_flare

t_flare Veteran

I hope Carr the best

Rik Smith- Hey David, can you restructure your contract so we can trade you
    David Carr- **** you!!

15. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Here's an interesting tidbit from nfl.com talking about how he will be released, not traded. There is also an interesting discussion about how much money this moved saved the team.

Houston shopped him, found no takers, and now, with a new quarterback with a hefty contract on its payroll, the Texans have no room for Carr.

It is only a matter of time until the Texans release him, another quarterback drafted No. 1 that failed to pan out.

Where Carr surfaces is an intriguing subplot. It doesn't look like Oakland, which expressed no interest in trading for Carr and is considering drafting LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell. But it also should be pointed out that Raiders coach Lane Kiffin was on the Fresno State coaching staff when Carr starred there. If Kiffin wants Carr, it could change the Raiders' interest in him.

Minnesota, Detroit and Cleveland are searching for quarterbacks, and any could take a flyer on Carr. But there doesn't seem to be an obvious landing spot for Carr, at least not now. When and if he is released, the circumstances would change, and a team such as the Vikings would become even more intrigued. But only after Carr is released.

Wherever Carr lands, he will have a hard time trying to recoup the $6.75 million in base salary that he was scheduled to earn this season in Houston.

*Houston actually saves millions by ridding itself of Carr, switching two spots in the first round of the draft and surrendering its second-round pick this year.

Once Houston divorces Carr, the quarterback will count $2 million against the Texans' salary cap this season. But his $6.75 million base salary also will come off the Texans' books, meaning they will save $4.75 million against this year's salary cap.

Also, by dropping back two spots in the first round, the Texans will save another $2 million, and by trading its second-round pick, Houston will save another $4 million. All together, it's a financial boon -- much of it that will be used on Schaub's new contract.

Please_Evolve likes this.
  16. Killer Bee

Killer Bee Rookie

What if we trade Carr and our 3rd round pick to Cleveland for their 2nd round pick (35th overall). That would give us another quality stater. What do you guy think?

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Charlie Frye would do just fine, with a little more time behind center, and AD in the backfield. Anderson has shown that he can be "competitve" with little prepration. I think Cleveland's QB situation is fine.

Frye may not be the answer, but he'll give them time to work it out.

18. Andrew6

Andrew6 Site Contributor

If noone is willing to make a trade is it worth releasing Carr? Will we save enough in cap room to warrent a release? IMHO I would think that if we can't get something decent for him, keep him and maybe have him in the competition for starter at QB with Rosenfels and Schaub, neither of which is a proven starter. Atleast then we know we have QB committee, will deff. confuse the hell out of defenses if we have several different styles of qbs. Just a thought anyone have any other ideas

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I seriously Doubt Carr would be released. If Minnesota, Oakland, KC or any team called, and offered a draft pick, I think we'd take it before we just let him go.

I also feel like we'd take whatever scrub those teams are willing to give up... try to use those to acquire picks, or just fill out trading camp, or just find someone with a chip on his shoulder.

David would then count as $4mill against our cap(He's scheduled to earn $5.75 million in '07, $6 million in '08), if we trade him.

David would count as a $2million against the cap, if we designate him as a June1st cut.

So, in my mind, the only way we just cut him, is if we got no offers at all on our 2002 #1 overall selection.

20. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Wow . . good find, Porky. I never thought about the angle where one of the purposes of this trade would be to save money. I was wondering about the cap implications of Schaub's contract. It be interesting to hear aj's take on this.