David Carr being replaced is not that big of a deal

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Divebomb, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Divebomb

Divebomb Veteran

Weird Possibility for QB Situation, but here is proof that replacing Carr is not that big of a deal and people should not make such a big deal if he does he rides the pine!

2003-2004 Brad Johnson 3,811 yds 26 TD’s lost his job the next year to Brian Greiese
    2003-2003 John Kitna 3591yds 26 TD to Carson Palmer
    2005-2006 Kerry Collins 3759 yds 20 TD’s lost the job to ??? up in the air
    2005 Arron Brooks 2882 13 TD’s Lost the job to a guy comming of major shoulder surgery
    2005 Gus Frerotte 2996 18 TD’s Lost the job to a guy comming of multiple knee ligament tears.

2005 David Carr 2488 14 TD’s loosing the job to Sage, It is a possibility!!!
    I want Carr to have success. I like David, and I think it is terrible that he has had his head cracked over 200 times since he came to Houston, but as a franchise trying to move forward he should understand that many QB’s who have performed statistically at a much higher level than he has who have been canned or replaced! I hope Coach Kubiak knows that this city would be 100% for benching the guy if he does not perform, and I wish people would stop making such a big deal about Carr. If he is replaced then o.k. the guy is replaced.

2. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

The combined age of those 5 players is 176

Why dont we have this discussion when it looks like there is even the slightest possibility that he might be benched within the next month.

3. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

And those situations all worked out great?

Kubiak is a QB guy, and whatever works for him, works for me.

4. Divebomb

Divebomb Veteran

I agree, I think the whole QB issue I hear on the radio and see on this site is garbage. If he is yanked then so what? It happens to lots of guys who have done much more than Carr. If he is demoted in two or three months, and that is a big IF, I don't think it should be that big of an issue.

5. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

So are you determining this "possibility" from Sage's play against second and third string in the pre season? Or the fact that Carr has had to endure one of the worst situations as a QB in the entire NFL? Would Sage or anyone for that matter done better with what Carr has been dealt thus far?

Doubt Carr gets benched this year either way.

6. Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry Veteran

DB I think most of the people on this board have a problem with the amount of money he is making and him not out on the field producing WINS.

7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I think many of us want good QB play and really don't care if the name on the back is Carr, Pastorini, Moon, Delhomme or Rosenfels. The past is the past....we just want good QB play.

infantrycak likes this.
  8. Texanfan4ever

Texanfan4ever All Pro

The amount of money he is making doesn't change my life nor yours, or anyone elses that professes to be a Texan fan. Get over it. Are you jealous that there is someone in the world that makes that much money, 2 million, 4 million, eight million, who cares. All professional athletes, in my opinion are way over paid. That doesn't change my life or yours. So get over the money. Most of these people arguing one way or the other have no care about the money. They just want us to win.

I am a Carr Homer. I think he has been screwed by the last 4 year coaching staff, and I hope he comes out of it. He has already shown signs. He's only played a little over a half of a game so far. Give the guy a break.

More than a Carr homer I am a Kubiak homer. If he thinks he can fix David, then I believe him. Start a new subject. Kubiak has already said that David is our QB and he is going to give him every chance that he has spent the last 4 years on his back deserving. Get over it! Geez!!!

9. Divebomb

Divebomb Veteran

Here is my opinion about the money and Carr. I like to take the Bagwell approach to the situation. Baggs is done; he has been done for about 2 1/2 years now. The guy has tied up 20 million for two seasons and we deal with it because of what he has meant to our Astros in the past. Carr has quite a bit of money tied up as well, but the guy has chances to earn that money and he has earned that previous money. Resigning Carr to give him a chance was the right decision because the team in a way owed him the opportunity to prove his worth. If he plays like I hope he does then we will have done the right thing and Carr can redeem his career. If he flops we move to sage and salvage the season. Its not that big of a deal, and the money was worth it because we did the right thing by giving the guy his chance. I don’t fell sorry for Carr at all, so what if he has been sacked 200+ times, he lives a much better life then 99% of the population. We give him his chance and he can’t cut it then we move on. I just think he is getting way to much attention.

10. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Wow a guy plays well against NFL Europe guys and we are benching Carr..............Amazing how this has spread.

11. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

I agree... winning is the bottom line. But this is really a non issue... the Texans will be a better team with Carr as the starting QB. Kubaik will agree... and you will see Carr at the helm all season barring injuries.

12. Divebomb

Divebomb Veteran

I am new and I really do not understand your post?

I do not think Carr is going to be replaced by Sage but I would not be in shock if he does. It happens to guys all the time who have posted much better numbers than Carr, that is my point of view.

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I think you miss the point. I don't think he is worried that Carr is paid too much....but that he isn't living up to his cap hit. You only have so much cap and every cent you over pay for one position you take away from another position, so if your best paid player isn't your best player you hurt the team by not taking some of that money and upgrading another position.

bayoudreamn likes this.
  14. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I don't care how much money Carr makes just like I don't care how much money Dominic Davis makes . The bottom line is whats best for the team , if Carr plays great thats peachy ... if he does'nt then bench him . I don't care who you put in , if he stinks he should be treated like any other player .

My gut feeling is Carr does'nt show in Denver , what then ? I bet Kubiak does'nt just sit singing Kum Ba Ya .

15. texflex513

texflex513 All Pro

Ultimately im behind Carr 100% but if coach decides he is not our guy anymore i can respect that... I still think david will break out this year.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Ok..... to make this a good argument, you've got to show where it has paid off for the team that made the swap..... So far, we've got a bunch of teams that have chronically made bad decisions, making bad decisions, and it looks like you are saying we shouldn't be worried about making a bad decision.....

the numbers look good, but I don't think you thought this out as thoroughly as you should have.

Griese........ didn't make the next season as that teams starter... they replaced him with a guy they didn't feel confident enough to sign for more than one year.

CarsonPalmer....... chances are good that Carson was a good decision...... but it's been a long time since the Bengals have been a football team.

theRaiders......... are looking for a starting QB as we speak...... they are not thinking playoffs.... they are hopeing for a 4-10 season.

Miami.... hasn't had a QB since Marino..... again, I like Culpepper......... and Sage ain't no Culpepper........

17. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

...how long you been stuck on 2979 posts?

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't know..... why do you ask??

Oh my look at that.......... I'm at 2980.......... I wonder what would happen if I were to make another post.

19. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

I agree with the guy who said let's wait until it's a real possibility that David might be replaced. I'm _not_ a Carr fan, but I'm sure the change is not about to happen. Let's wait and see how David does in the real season, and let's wait, too, and see if Rosenfels is a realistic option, not just a guy who looked pretty good in two preseason games. The old saying: two swallows do not a summer make.

20. BlueThunder

BlueThunder Veteran