David Carr 2nd best decision maker?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by The Dude Abides, Aug 8, 2006.

1. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame

I didn't make this list so don't flame on me. Just posting what K.C. Joyner had to say. If you scroll down the list Carr is the second best decision maker behind only Tom Brady. I'm not saying I agree with what it says, I'm just posting it for the sake of argument.

This was on free ESPN insider.

2. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

if 2. is indeed a sign of a bad decision maker, then this guy was clearly on the sauce when he wrote that list.

3. Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry Veteran

Your going to get any argument, and that as far as i read so far.

4. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

It's just the way he rated it and the fact that it appears he didn't assign a mistake for eating the ball or for causing a sack. That said, there's a lot to be said for the fact that a turnover is infinitely worse than a sack leading to a punt ... simple math conveniently ignored by the anti-Carr agenda.

5. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I'm still waiting for some anti-Carr sentiment here. This is another thing that goes to prove what I have suspected all along.... if the boy has protection, he can make the play. He either got it done, or got a sack. That does not bother me.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

This is another example where the results from the theory should cause the writer to reconsider the methodology. No way you've got a valid methodology if it ranks Carr #2 in the league last year. I suspect if some weighted factor was added in to consider the yards per attempt or nature of the O being run you would find Carr (5.88 ypa) falling significantly and Big Ben rising significantly (8.9 ypa).

7. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Interesting way to look at things. It shows that perception is a choice at times. I don't recall a player in recent memory that had such extreme opinions from fans.

If you look at it from this guy's perspective, then Carr would have a winning record if he was Patriot and Brady would be hurting from 200 sacks over the past four seasons as a Texan.

8. TexansLucky13

A classic anti-Carr argument. Wonderful.

If any study is conducted where Carr ends up looking good, then the study was obviously flawed.

I call you out on flawed logic instead.

9. wags

wags Hall of Fame

This guy did the same thing last year and Carr was ranked really high. Doesn't really mean anyhting IMO. Carr needs to play better along with the other fellas.

10. TexansLucky13

Of course it means nothing. Statistics mean absolutely nothing. And I agree, he does need to make better decisions. But it's funny how some people respond to Carr studies on this board. In their eyes there is nothing that can make him look respectable. Jeez.

11. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame

From his 2005 article

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

from reading the little bit of premise given in the Original Post...... this looks like a good thing..... & I will resist my natural instinct to "spin" this........ and you know I can.

David Carr's Good Points: Strong Arm.... Mobile..... Smart.... and tough as nails...

I can agree with that.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

shew....... I thought I would have to say it..... thanks pal.

14. infantrycak

If you paid any attention around here at all you would realize I am not anti-Carr and watching football games last year instead of just cheerleading makes it pretty obvious Carr was not the 2nd best decision maker in the NFL.

15. TexansLucky13

I agree. I know you can spin it, haha... and I sorta expected it. Props to you for having an objective view of this study. I personally see it as just another playing chip for my arguments against the anti-Carr crowd.

Lately you have shown a little distaste for him. I myself thought it was strange, because I would not put you in the anti-Carr crowd on a normal basis. Whats wrong with you lately?

I don't cheerlead.... I study. As I said before if you were paying attention.... Carr needs some work. But he isn't half as bad as many want to make him out to be. I'm tired of hearing it and having to propose a stronger argument to counter a bit of bias.

thunderkyss likes this.
  16. infantrycak

I don't know what I have said that could be interpreted as distaste for Carr--anything you want to point me to? I call 'em like I see 'em. If I see Carr at mid pack I will counter a post which says either he is great or sucks. Folks at the extremes somehow twist that into being in the camp of the opposite extreme.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Look....... stop taking cheap shots at our QB......... if you're going to root for the Texans, you have to understand the only way we'll be successful, is for Carr to be successfull.

People like you really bring this MB down..... disagreeing with everybody and all.....

:stirpot:

The Pencil Neck likes this.
  18. TexansLucky13

Yea, I made that same point when I was dicussing how liberals view Fox news as an extreme conservative news station even though they try to stay as moderate as possible.

I know you are pretty moderate about things infantrycak, but I read someof your posts the other day that were making me scratch my head. Sorry I don't have time to find them, I need to take my sis to colorguard.

The only thing I challenged was your original post. Other than that its all good. You gotta take this study at what its worth, and we all know that Carr can improve. I especially know that.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'm giving you positive reps for this one....... finally, some one to call infantrycak out..... show us the real infantrycak.....

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think he was only looking at mistakes, and the lack there of, not counting good decisions..... which is what you'd think, but just counting how many times the bad decisions really hurt your teams chance of winning.