Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davenport SUCKS

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
well yeah but hasn't that already been established? Sharp is a big fat vet who will see action due to pressure Obrien under--just my opinion and not saying I agree with it.
Sharpe is a 2nd yr guy like Davenport.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I guess my point is a street free agent talent level v. starting should be readily discernible to a halfway competent coach. Can't blame this one on Smith even if he 100% made the initial pick. This crew decided Davenport was their guy. They're way slow with the hook in the offseason.

Fyi of nothing, Savage got a tryout with the Niners.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
IMO he's on stand by for both Rankin and D. Each could get one offside and still play but a sack would prob bring Sharp in to see how he will do.
I will be very surprised if Davenport isn't pulled at some point in the game. After almost getting Watson hurt in week 1 and getting Henderson put out for the season in week 1, plus last weeks abysmal performance by Davenport it wouldn't surprise me if either Johnson or Sharpe started.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I will be very surprised if Davenport isn't pulled at some point in the game. After almost getting Watson hurt in week 1 and getting Henderson put out for the season in week 1, plus last weeks abysmal performance by Davenport it wouldn't surprise me if either Johnson or Sharpe started.
Again we disagree, I was upset on the off sides by D but that can be corrected as mental and not getting beat. He is hyper aware focus on him and he is overreacting. You forget to mention if Henderson had blocked his guy, he would not have been driven to where he was when ankle broke. A dump truck shoves a car into a lane where a pickup truck smashes the car. You blame the pickup. I don't.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Again we disagree, I was upset on the off sides by D but that can be corrected as mental and not getting beat. He is hyper aware focus on him and he is overreacting. You forget to mention if Henderson had blocked his guy, he would not have been driven to where he was when ankle broke. A dump truck shoves a car into a lane where a pickup truck smashes the car. You blame the pickup. I don't.
Thank you. It took at least 2 guys getting beat on that play, not just 1.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What side of the line was Davenport on when he got his a** knocked into Watson/Henderson. Henderson certainly wasn't on Davenports side of the line and while Henderson's pass pro set may have been a little deep (Debatable) it wasn't a terrible set like you're making it out to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
What is going on here? Is this badboy failing to see that his scouting projection was wrong? Literally unable to see how terrible Dav is performing because it isn't what he saw on tape in college?

I mean Dab himself seemed to be having a meltdown midgame at how bad he was playing, berating himself on the field.

badboy

Hall of Fame
What is going on here? Is this badboy failing to see that his scouting projection was wrong? Literally unable to see how terrible Dav is performing because it isn't what he saw on tape in college?

I mean Dab himself seemed to be having a meltdown midgame at how bad he was playing, berating himself on the field.
HA!! I've been wrong many times and have discussed those. Bring your opinion as to why D is having issues at a position he has almost never played, never in college so can you not see that his college tape may be different than what we are seeing now in NFL? I have never said he could or should be playing right tackle. As it seems Coach thinks he will succeed or at least have no better option I will root for him. You think a player being upset with his performance is a negative? Only if that impacts his play going forward. I feel I have given reasons for D's mistakes not ignored them.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I guess my point is a street free agent talent level v. starting should be readily discernible to a halfway competent coach. Can't blame this one on Smith even if he 100% made the initial pick. This crew decided Davenport was their guy. They're way slow with the hook in the offseason.

Fyi of nothing, Savage got a tryout with the Niners.
Yes you can blame Smith for another busted 3rd/4th rd pick. His track record in those rds are a big reason why the depth on this team is lacking. He drafted an unmotivated toolsy guy (Davenport) and after interviews he couldn't figure that out then that explains why there were so many busts in those rds.

I mean I could figure out that Davenport was all he would ever be just by looking at his family lineage. His cousin MKG is the same guy Davenport is. A guy that wont improve as a pro. If you think he will ever improve to the point he's an avg OL then you're fooling yourself and fandom has taken over. Those are just the cold hard facts.

Last edited:

Shishkabob

All Pro
Yes you can blame Smith for another busted 3rd/4th rd pick. His track record in those rds are a big reason why the depth on this team is lacking. He drafted an unmotivated toolsy guy (davenport and after interviews he couldn't figure that out then that explains why there were so many busts in those rds.

I mean I could figure out that Davenport was all he would ever be just by looking at his family lineage. His cousin MKG is the same guy Davenport is. A guy that wont improve as a pro. If you think he will ever improve to the point he's an avg OL then you're fooling yourself and fandom has taken over. Those are just the cold hard facts.
So you are the exact same person as all of your cousins? siblings? aunts, uncles?

That reasoning on your part is a joke, you blaming Smith for a pick that Devlin and O'Brien obviously gave their blessing to since Devlin went and worked him out privately is also a joke

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So you are the exact same person as all of your cousins? siblings? aunts, uncles?

That reasoning on your part is a joke, you blaming Smith for a pick that Devlin and O'Brien obviously gave their blessing to since Devlin went and worked him out privately is also a joke
I was responding to Cak's saying Smith had no blame even if he picked Davenport. Of course he deserves blame, he made the pick. This isn't absolving Devlin in particular and BOB in general for this terrible pick.

The cousins thing right or wrong speaks to work ethic. The fact that Davenport just like his cousin has all of the tools to be a successful pro but regardless if whether you want to admit it or not Davenport's career is going to turn out the way I thought it would.

Now, If Davenport goes to another team and becomes successful (Doubtful) on another team then that's directly on BOB/Devlin.

I really dont want to talk about Rick Smith anymore. This is ruining threads and Cak like to get me going like this in an attempt to derail yet another thread.

Shishkabob

All Pro
I was responding to Cak's saying Smith had no blame even if he picked Davenport. Of course he deserves blame, he made the pick. This isn't absolving Devlin in particular and BOB in general for this terrible pick.

The cousins thing right or wrong speaks to work ethic. The fact that Davenport just like his cousin has all of the tools to be a successful pro but regardless if whether you want to admit it or not Davenport's career is going to turn out the way I thought it would.

Now, If Davenport goes to another team and becomes successful (Doubtful) on another team then that's directly on BOB/Devlin.

I really dont want to talk about Rick Smith anymore. This is ruining threads and Cak like to get me going like this in an attempt to derail yet another thread.
No it doesn't, You are not the same person as your cousin. All that means is he comes from an athletically gifted family. Stop trying to say it factually that your cousin or other family members personality means you have the same personality. There are model citizens in the NFL who have family memebers are in prison, does that make them a criminal? Similarly if your cousin was arrested for rape, would that indicate that you share his same sick, twisted sexual desires? Of course not, but that is what you are implying here with Davenport. The kid is a multi year project who has been thrust into a starting role due to in the ineptitude of our FO and coaching staff

Also you being more right then wrong usually, yea thats easy to do. I can say every player every year that gets drafted will not work out, and guess what I would be right more often than I was wrong. Predicting failure is easy, predicting success is difficult

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No it doesn't, You are not the same person as your cousin. All that means is he comes from an athletically gifted family. Stop trying to say it factually that your cousin or other family members personality means you have the same personality. There are model citizens in the NFL who have family memebers are in prison, does that make them a criminal? Similarly if your cousin was arrested for rape, would that indicate that you share his same sick, twisted sexual desires? Of course not, but that is what you are implying here with Davenport. The kid is a multi year project who has been thrust into a starting role due to in the ineptitude of our FO and coaching staff

Also you being more right then wrong usually, yea thats easy to do. I can say every player every year that gets drafted will not work out, and guess what I would be right more often than I was wrong. Predicting failure is easy, predicting success is difficult
Let's see how Davenport works out and then get back to me.

I've missed on some guy's but I don't predict failure for everybody like you're trying to portray me.

See: JimmyG/Goff/David Johnson/LT/Dawkins/LT Robinson/Justin Houston etc... I predicted would be good/great players. I really dont need to defend my track record in my mocks. You can go back and look at them over the yrs for yourself. I stand by my predictions on players.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Let's see how Davenport works out and then get back to me.

I've missed on some guy's but I don't predict failure for everybody like you're trying to portray me.

See: JimmyG/Goff/David Johnson/LT/Dawkins/LT Robinson/Justin Houston etc... I predicted would be good/great players. I really dont need to defend my track record in my mocks. You can go back and look at them over the yrs for yourself. I stand by my predictions on players.
Congrats you are the football savant, how you do not have a job in the league is beyond me. People hit on picks, people miss on picks it is what it is. Your notion that his cousin is lazy means he is lazy is ludicrous and is why we are in this argument in the first place. I wasn't high on Davenport to begin with, I like players who play with good technique over hulking physical traits, but I'm not going to immediately claim he isn't going to work out due to him having poor work ethic, because I do not know him, I have never been around him, I have never read or seen a report about him having poor work ethic so why would I slander his character for no reason? Oh because his cousin was that way so he has to be to? Again that part of your analysis is a JOKE

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame

I thought he looked competent for a minute in pre-season...

I was not impressed with him at all in college. I wouldn't have drafted him. Bad feet and did not play with aggression. I thought he should have been dominating his level of competition and he was not.

But I thought maybe they'd develop the guy. Silly me.

BOBdaFRAUD

Waterboy
I thought he looked competent for a minute in pre-season...

I was not impressed with him at all in college. I wouldn't have drafted him. Bad feet and did not play with aggression. I thought he should have been dominating his level of competition and he was not.

But I thought maybe they'd develop the guy. Silly me.

The man extends his arms to far and too boot he does a poor job controlling the rusher. Why he thinks he has to get a jump and false starting too much so he can prevent people from going around him.

He is not ready, but hell this is the texans way.....................

BOBdaFRAUD

Waterboy
Would do him wonders if his movement of his stance is favoring out and to his left with the understanding that Kelemet/RB would help if he gets beat inside. The fact that he gets beat consistently outside is just killing this offense

........Thats coaching and they don't coach or make adjustments ............... thats the texans way..........

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Would do him wonders if his movement of his stance is favoring out and to his left with the understanding that Kelemet/RB would help if he gets beat inside. The fact that he gets beat consistently outside is just killing this offense

........Thats coaching and they don't coach or make adjustments ............... thats the texans way..........
Lol, the coaching adjustment was to keep Ryan Griffin or someone in to help him block/chip. Cloak and a few others noticed how Griffin out there face planting trying to do that.

Furthermore, what coaching "adjustment" can be made for a guy who continously is getting beat around the corner?

Anyone whose ever coached or taught on any level understands that coaching/teaching can only do so much. And at
some point, the player/student has to be able to take said coaching/tutuledge and apply it in their respective enviornment.

And at least right now, Davenport hasn't been able to take his coaching and apply it b/c he's overwhelmed athletically.

This should not be surprising to people in here seeing that he was picked mostly for his measureables.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Yes, he is no good ! He needs to go to the bench .... and as he passes O'Brien, say "Coach, I'm taking myself out .... because I'm failing to do the job ... evidently I'm just not ready .... please put your BETTER PLAYER IN" !!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Congrats you are the football savant, how you do not have a job in the league is beyond me. People hit on picks, people miss on picks it is what it is. Your notion that his cousin is lazy means he is lazy is ludicrous and is why we are in this argument in the first place. I wasn't high on Davenport to begin with, I like players who play with good technique over hulking physical traits, but I'm not going to immediately claim he isn't going to work out due to him having poor work ethic, because I do not know him, I have never been around him, I have never read or seen a report about him having poor work ethic so why would I slander his character for no reason? Oh because his cousin was that way so he has to be to? Again that part of your analysis is a JOKE
I'm far from a Savant, I don't want to take a pay cut.

I stand by my evaluations

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Yes you can blame Smith for another busted 3rd/4th rd pick. His track record in those rds are a big reason why the depth on this team is lacking. He drafted an unmotivated toolsy guy (Davenport) and after interviews he couldn't figure that out then that explains why there were so many busts in those rds.

This logic reminds me of when you read about Rick Smith's degree and kept posting it to prove that it was the reason he was not a good GM. Even though history showed GMs came from all walks of life, backgrounds and degrees, you refuse to acknowledge that Smith's degree had no relevance on his job performance.

You are now repeating this "suck by cousin" theory. Do you know if Davenport is close to his cousin? Do you know their relationship? Why would his cousin have more of an influence on him than his parents, siblings or even coaches and teammates?

On certain topics, the way you state conjecture, opinion and speculation as known facts really takes away from the quality and good points of your posts. Any knowledgeable fan can see he needs to get stronger, his technique is inconsistent, he is losing confidence.

It's just my humble opinion, but it's okay to say Davenport is not a good OL without bringing his cousin or lineage into the discussion.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This reasoning reminds me of when you read about Rick Smith's degree and kept posting it to prove that it was a reason he was not a good GM. Even though history showed GMs came from all walks of life, backgrounds and degrees, you refuse to acknowledge that Smith's degree had no relevance on his job performance.

You are now repeating this "suck by cousin" theory. Do you know if Davenport is close to his cousin? Do you know their relationship? Why would his cousin have more of an influence on him than his parents, siblings or even coaches and teammates?

On certain topics, the way you state conjecture, opinion and speculation as known facts really takes away from the quality and good points of your posts. Any knowledgeable fan can see he needs to get stronger, his technique is inconsistent, he is losing confidence.

It's just my humble opinion, but it's okay to say Davenport is not a good OL without bringing his cousin or lineage into the discussion.
Well then, we will have to see if Ricky gets another GM job and if Davenport, turns out to be worth a fvck and get back to me

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Well then, we will have to see if Ricky gets another GM job and if Davenport, turns out to be worth a fvck and get back to me
You're still missing the point. It doesn't matter. One has nothing to do with the other. Davenport's cousin has nothing to do with his NFL failure or success.

As far as Smith, even if he worked for another franchise, you would claim the McNairs help him get the job and nothing anyone says would change your mind. That's your M.O. Once the conjecture has been stated as fact, there's no coming back.

BTW, I'm not saying your evaluation of Smith or Davenport is incorrect. I just disagree with your outlandish reasons. Especially, when they are more tangible reasons and examples that are staring right at us.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I dunno how long did Duane Brown struggle at LT before he began to show real signs of being a competent NFL OT ?
And as I recall he had the benefit of a veteran NFL tackle to spell him on a regular basis and act as a mentor as I recall.
And unlike Brown who was a first rounder we'd expect the learning curve to be steeper and more challenging to Davenport, right ?

I dunno how long did Duane Brown struggle at LT before he began to show real signs of being a competent NFL OT ?
And as I recall he had the benefit of a veteran NFL tackle to spell him on a regular basis and act as a mentor as I recall.
And unlike Brown who was a first rounder we'd expect the learning curve to be steeper and more challenging to Davenport, right ?
Speaking of Duane Brown, he's ranked 27th among tackles after 3 games per PFF. His overall rating of 67.1 nearly matches his career low during his rookie year (66.8). While this is MUCH lower than peak Duane Brown, compare that to Davenport, who is rated #63 (51.3) and Rankin who is rated #66 (48.5)...out of 69 tackles with enough snaps to qualify. Andrew Whitworth currently leads the league, rated #1 (87.9).

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Actions speak louder than words.

Not only did O'b & Devlin sign off on him, they made him the starting LT to start the season. They didn't get a high dollar FA to play the left side. They didn't get a journeyman to play the position. They were like, "If we can't get Solder, the kid will do."

But blame Rick Smith because someone has a problem motivat.... I mean coaching prospects. Not just Davenport. Even a guy like Nick Martin. A guy whose brother (which trumps cousin) is an All-pro.

But blame Rick.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !

Not only did O'b & Devlin sign off on him, they made him the starting LT to start the season. They didn't get a high dollar FA to play the left side. They didn't get a journeyman to play the position. They were like, "If we can't get Solder, the kid will do."

But blame Rick Smith because someone has a problem motivat.... I mean coaching prospects. Not just Davenport. Even a guy like Nick Martin. A guy whose brother (which trumps cousin) is an All-pro.

But blame Rick.
Wow ... where have you've been or did I miss earlier post ?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Speaking of Duane Brown, he's ranked 27th among tackles after 3 games per PFF. His overall rating of 67.1 nearly matches his career low during his rookie year (66.8). While this is MUCH lower than peak Duane Brown, compare that to Davenport, who is rated #63 (51.3) and Rankin who is rated #66 (48.5)...out of 69 tackles with enough snaps to qualify. Andrew Whitworth currently leads the league, rated #1 (87.9).
To accurately compare Brown and Davenport, the latter should be allowed to play same number of comparison snaps at same position. First rounder DB played rookie year with NFL pass leader almost 5,000 yds Matt Schaub. We all agree the QB makes huge difference.

4th rnd Davenport coming out of college was thought to be a LT only with some saying he should play OG to limit his coverage area. Rankin OTOH was thought to have ability/skill to play LT and RT. I argued at first he should only be LT. Why would you play D basically a rookie where no one said he could play? Even if Rankin thought to be better LT than D (and he certainly has not played that well based on your post) why not have the best OL with Rankin on right and D on left? I'm hearing more arguing for that now.

badboy

Hall of Fame

But blame Rick.
Hey welcome back TK now that's over..tell us who were these starting LT or high dollar FA or journeymen Texans didn't get that were available?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You're still missing the point. It doesn't matter. One has nothing to do with the other. Davenport's cousin has nothing to do with his NFL failure or success.

As far as Smith, even if he worked for another franchise, you would claim the McNairs help him get the job and nothing anyone says would change your mind. That's your M.O. Once the conjecture has been stated as fact, there's no coming back.

BTW, I'm not saying your evaluation of Smith or Davenport is incorrect. I just disagree with your outlandish reasons. Especially, when they are more tangible reasons and examples that are staring right at us.
The Texans org needs to be more analytical and look at the kinds of things I'm talking about and until they do you can expect more of the same old same old. They need to take into account the things I'm talking about, take some risks and move forward. Until they do you can expect what we have.

I'm kind of in a way enjoying them reaping the rewards of 16 yrs of mismanagement. Because that plus the Astros/Rockets showing this city what mgmt/teams that putting winning 1st looks like.

With that said, none of this really matters, I just got an email asking about my gameday experience. I let them know my gameday experience would be a lot better if they weren't the team with the longest current losing streak in the NFL.

Not that they really care about sh!t like that.

The thing that makes me disappointed about all of this is, while McNair is obviously going to make his BILLIONS, I will never get to see this city see a SB championship come to the city that I love. Bob and his mentor Bud are cut from the same cloth. This city has had to suffer thru 50 yrs of this crap and I dont see that changing in my life time.

Now we can continue on with the McNair/Ricky/BOB/Gaine talk, but those of us who have lived thru these yrs have to admit the more things change the more they remain the same.

Last edited:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Now we can continue on with the McNair/Ricky/BOB/Gaine talk, but those of us who have lived thru these yrs have to admit the more things change the more they remain the same.
Unless by luck or divine intervention we should happen upon a good GM/HC combination, we're screwed in Houston. I don't think we know enough about Gain yet, but we certainly know more than we need to about ******* OB.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Davenport and Rankin could still be serviceable if they weren't asked to pass block for 5 seconds. If the coaching staff would just go back to shotgun read option stuff it would also allow Watson to see those inevitable mistakes in front of him instead of coming in from the sides ... Simplify the reads and deliver the ball quickly.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Davenport and Rankin could still be serviceable if they weren't asked to pass block for 5 seconds. If the coaching staff would just go back to shotgun read option stuff it would also allow Watson to see those inevitable mistakes in front of him instead of coming in from the sides ... Simplify the reads and deliver the ball quickly.
Seems like Andy Reid, the Chiefs and their young QB endorses this message.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I believe one major difference is that Brownn's strength was NEVER questioned. His technique had to be developed, but he was never "trucked." On the other hand, strength has been a big red flag from the beginning to the present with Davenport.............after more than enough time to turn it around. His technique has not developed beyond Lamm's........a mark which in itself is sad.