Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davenport SUCKS

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I ain't going to lie.

I was disappointed with his false starts & the hold.

But the dude did his job... more or less, when he wasn't committing penalties. Penalties need to get fixed, but I'm not sure he sucks.

I'd rather he didn't have the penalties, but until we get someone clearly better, I'd rather hope the kid gets better. He may never be our LT of the future, but as long as we don't pay him as if he were, we should be ok.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So much hate on here. I quit watching the game after one of the turnovers and went grocery shopping. Davenport can improve and I think he will. The OL as a whole has been stinking it up.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Being forced into the lineup by necessity doesn't mean the coaching staff didn't know he wasn't ready. It means there weren't a lot of other options.
I was referring to the guy who started this thread & the others complaining about a year two project that was moved from the left side to the right side of the line. .

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I ain't going to lie.

I was disappointed with his false starts & the hold.

But the dude did his job... more or less, when he wasn't committing penalties. Penalties need to get fixed, but I'm not sure he sucks.

I'd rather he didn't have the penalties, but until we get someone clearly better, I'd rather hope the kid gets better. He may never be our LT of the future, but as long as we don't pay him as if he were, we should be ok.
I would rather him hold every down if it keeps Watson healthy.

BTW, he sucks and anybody who thought he wouldn't suck was just a fan.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
BTW, he sucks and anybody who thought he wouldn't suck was just a fan.
We had our hopes, and he did show promise at the end of last year on the left side, and again in preseason. Not his fault he has no experience on the right side, though he would likely suck anyway

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Everyone knew Davenport was going to be a project and would need time to develop.
Right. And while we're busy drafting "projects", successful teams actually draft football players that can contribute.

Yeah, I know, but the season is over and I'm in a bash the Texans mood until the Pedialyte kicks in.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Right. And while we're busy drafting "projects", successful teams actually draft football players that can contribute.

Yeah, I know, but the season is over and I'm in a bash the Texans mood until the Pedialyte kicks in.
Is that some newfangled brand of bourbon?

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Dude, we just lost to a team that drafted Flowers. NE constantly plays with a no name OL. That's the problem. OB thinks he is = BB. He just isn't and doesn't have a clue how to get the best out of his players.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Dude, we just lost to a team that drafted Flowers. NE constantly plays with a no name OL. That's the problem. OB thinks he is = BB. He just isn't and doesn't have a clue how to get the best out of his players.
Yes, I said I know.

Is that some newfangled brand of bourbon?
No, but if you've been drinking bourbon, you'll damn sure never have a hangover again.

Reactions: JB

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Travis Johnson, Amobi Okoye, meet Julien Davenport.

As Travis Johnson said - you can’t hate the player when it is the coaches and FO who are the ones who put him out there on the field or where the player gets picked. (As long as the player isn’t lazy and working to get better of course.)

But a lot of this lies on OB for putting him in there based on OBs evaluation as a football player.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Travis Johnson, Amobi Okoye, meet Julien Davenport.

As Travis Johnson said - you can’t hate the player when it is the coaches and FO who are the ones who put him out there on the field or where the player gets picked. (As long as the player isn’t lazy and working to get better of course.)

But a lot of this lies on OB for putting him in there based on OBs evaluation as a football player.
The question is then, when DO you put it on the player? I mean you know from middle school that you’re not supposed to hold as an offensive linemen.this dude had 3 in today’s game.

As an aside, guys usually commit penalties b/c they’re overmatched and have problems physically/athletically keeping up. It’s like when Dantoni put Ryan Anderson in during the playoffs...GSW exploited him on defense QUICKLY and dude picked up a couple of fouls trying to keep up with steph out on the perimeter....when he wasn’t getting outright beat.

At some point the player has to take responsibility for his play.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The question is then, when DO you put it on the player? I mean you know from middle school that you’re not supposed to hold as an offensive linemen.this dude had 3 in today’s game.

I think it was 3 false starts & one hold.

BOBdaFRAUD

Waterboy
These two Tackles they threw to the wolves are 2-3 years from being starters. They were projects and probably hoped they would do better. But they were projects.

I would give Chris Clark a call. No joke

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Honestly don’t know what some of u expected.

They moved on from Giacomini & XSF & Clark.

It was slim pickings in FA..but We know they went after Solder in FA... he chose NY
Norwell got overpaid to go to Jax.

And They didn’t have a pick in the draft until the 3rd..in which they got an O-lineman.

BOBdaFRAUD

Waterboy
Honestly don’t know what some of u expected.

They moved on from Giacomini & XSF & Clark.

It was slim pickings in FA..but We know they went after Solder in FA... he chose NY
Norwell got overpaid to go to Jax.

And They didn’t have a pick in the draft until the 3rd..in which they got an O-lineman.

So you saying we should not have done Duane Brown dirty? Hahaha

So watching the Seahawk Game today. Good pop, explodes off his stance. Handles pass speed rushers easily. I am sad...........

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
So you saying we should not have done Duane Brown dirty? Hahaha

So watching the Seahawk Game today. Good pop, explodes off his stance. Handles pass speed rushers easily. I am sad...........
And they’re still only 1-2 and Wilson is running for his life just as much as Wayson

Aside from that, this is what I’m saying:

You can only do so much in an offseason where there wasn’t a whole lot out there and u don’t have any picks to draft anything.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Being forced for the into the lineup by necessity doesn't mean the coaching staff didn't know he wasn't ready. It means there weren't a lot of other options.
The guy that played LT NYG's looked pretty good today.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Even worse
I'd be more concerned about the false starts if I thought he was cheating to handle a speed guy.

But what I saw today & last week could be nerves, adjusting to the right side, or whatever.

I'm not saying he'll be a stud, I have no idea. But it's not like he was a first rounder.

He is what he is... let's hope he gets better.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I'd be more concerned about the false starts if I thought he was cheating to handle a speed guy.

But what I saw today & last week could be nerves, adjusting to the right side, or whatever.

I'm not saying he'll be a stud, I have no idea. But it's not like he was a first rounder.

He is what he is... let's hope he gets better.
That’s exactly why he had so many false starts....b/c he was trying to cheat. Wynn was eating his ass up..dude had the game of his life against Davenport

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That’s exactly why he had so many false starts....b/c he was trying to cheat. Wynn was eating his ass up..dude had the game of his life against Davenport
I'll have to take your word for it. I'm not planning on watching the game again. I thought most of the pressure was coming off the Left side. The right side didn't really catch my attention.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The people who are still playing him right now suck. Davenport is what he is.
D has started about three entire games at LT if you add the 2 1/2 last season plus the less than one half this season. He has started 2 1/2 games this season. OBrien is in his fifth season with the Texans and has 26 years of collegiate and NFL coaching experience. OB may be who he is but I will give D more time.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Most 4th rounders are projects and usually not expected to start at a different position than they have spent four college years. Braxton Miller comes to mind after three seasons at QB in college then switching to WR. How did that work out?

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Defensive lines comprise a lot of individual stars but offensive lines must learn to play as a unit. You can have talent out the kazoo on the OL and still not have a good line; they have to know each other's traits and adjust. I never saw a great OL without a lot of disciplined skin.

badboy

Hall of Fame

As an aside, guys usually commit penalties b/c they’re overmatched and have problems physically/athletically keeping up. It’s like when Dantoni put Ryan Anderson in during the playoffs...GSW exploited him on defense QUICKLY and dude picked up a couple of fouls trying to keep up with steph out on the perimeter....when he wasn’t getting outright beat.

At some point the player has to take responsibility for his play.
Player must take responsibility and D has in every after game interview I heard. If an Olineman misses or loses his block and all do at some point, he damn well better hold. Has anyone notice if he is getting any help from Fulton?

badboy

Hall of Fame
The guy that played LT NYG's looked pretty good today.
The New York Giants have decided to bench starting right tackle Ereck Flowers prior to their pivotal Week 3 game against the Houston Texans. In Flowers' place, the Giants will start second-year former undrafted rookie free agent Chad Wheeler at right tackle.
https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/LongFormArticle/Ereck-Flowers-New-York-Giants-benched-Week-3-122400509/

This guy? The ninth overall pick in 2015 who is in his 4th season? Seriously you are going to compare him to basically a rookie 4th rounder? Nah--really?

edit: wait maybe you were saying Davenport could get better with experience?

badboy

Hall of Fame
On one of those the TE next to him jumped also and went far deeper and no one says a thing about that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club