Daunte Culpepper, still waiting for a call

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Nov 28, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

With Houston down to T.J. Yates and Kellen Clemens and either Brodie Croyle or Sage Rosenfels or maybe Dan Pastorini, it’s critical that the Texans add a quarterback with veteran postseason experience, if the team hopes to have a good experience in the postseason.

They’ve scratched Favre off the list, sort of. And for good reason. It would indeed be a circus if Favre were to roll into town. 41-year-old Jeff Garcia got a workout last Monday, but the team opted for Clemens. Unless Garcia was in horrible shape, the value of his game - and playoff - experience shouldn’t be underestimated.

Then there’s Daunte Culpepper. He has four career playoff games, he’s seven years younger than Garcia, and Culpepper remains in shape and ready to play.

“I have been preparing all summer and have continued to work out six days a week throughout this season, waiting for an opportunity to show a team that I am ready, willing and able to contribute where I am needed,” Culpepper told PFT by email.

So why not bring the guy in for a workout? If the Texans fear he simply doesn’t have it, why not make that determination based on an evaluation of what he currently has?

I’m not saying the Texans definitely should sign him. I’m simply saying that they should kick his tires, and compare his resume to those of the guys who currently are on the roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/28/daunte-culpepper-still-waiting-for-a-call/

2. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Good lord Culpepper??? Man, that idea is about as insane as the David Carr one. For the last few years that Culpepper played I nicknamed him Handicapp because his footwork was so bad as a passer. After that guy got hurt and traded to the Dolphins he was one of the worst QB's of the decade at that point. He hasn't played in years either.

3. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

He will continue to wait too. The last 4 teams he has been with told you all you need to know about his career. He hasn't been the same guy since that knee injury. Its sad that a potentially great career was wrecked by an injury.

4. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

I am kinda thinking reporters are just reaching at straws and seeing what grabs headlines.

5. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think if you bring guys in to take a look at then you go ahead and send him a plane ticket too.

Not because you think he's necessarily going to suddenly solve all of your problems because he won't. He can't.

You do it to shut up those who feel that you didn't do your due dilligence when you went looking for a backup QB for Yates. You do it for the same reason that you discussed Favre on the plane back from Jacksonville and then made a point of telling people that you talked about Favre on the plane back from Jacksonville.

It's sink or swim with TJ Yates now and all this other stuff is just about finding someone to come in if we lose him. Nobody really wants to see Owen Daniels taking snaps in a real game.

6. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

Let him continue to wait.

He has not been good for years, besides it would take him till this time next year to learn the system.

7. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Sounds like, if we kicked his tires, one of them might explode. :cool:

8. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

He's still alive? :confused:

9. False Start

False Start On # 69

Looks like he will be a waiting MF'er. :nolisten:

10. MEGA SWATT

MEGA SWATT Hall of Fame

You're thinking about Steve McNair.:worldpeace:

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Culpepper can keep waiting for that phone to ring. :tiphat:

12. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

So the black Matt Schaub would be brought in to replace the injured white Daunte Culpepper?:cow:

13. ziggy29

ziggy29 Hall of Fame

Yates is clearly the starter this coming week and maybe the following week at minimum. Even if you found a guy you thought could help you, it'll take that much time to learn the playbook and run the offense.

At this point I'd consider an out-of-work veteran as little more than insurance, even as I hope Yates does well enough that the insurance turns out to be unneeded.

14. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

His career was never great. He had a few seasons where his numbers were nice, but that was only because he was throwing to Moss and Carter at the time. Even when he had seasons where he had pretty good stats, Culpepper always made some of the dumbest mistakes that would cost his team games. Moss had made a comment one time saying that Culpepper was the dumbest QB he had ever played with in his life.

15. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I bet he's some real deep shade of blue by now.

16. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

Tell him to grab a Snickers it might be a while!

Señor Stan likes this.
  17. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

18. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Now, now, don't be mean guys. They can't all be Texans. :texflag:

19. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

It's interesting that most of you would go with a shot out Brett Farve & Jeff Garcia both are over 40 over a a guy who had some great seasons until the injury bug hit him and he still only 34 years of age who might have a little more in the tank than those other QB's. What would a workout hurt to see if he could help our team. Some of you guys just cringe at the thought of a black quarterback leading the texans.

20. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk DieHard Texan!

Culpepper's Black? What does that have to do with anything? Playing the race card is soooo overdone! Way to overlook the fact that he has done next to nothing in the past few years just to accomodate your racial agenda.

There's a difference between a good QB and having a QB that's black to satisfy your needs. Didn't work for the presidency because just like I'd much rather have a Vick than a Culpepper, yeah I said it, I'd also rather have a Cain than an Obama....Neither are likely to happen though.