Darius Walker Activated

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GuerillaBlack, Nov 21, 2007.

1. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Per the NFL Network Ticker. This was said at the official boards, so don't know if it is true.

2. Hook'er

Hook'er Veteran

I sure hope so, then we can see what Walker can do!

3. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Darius Walker, sounds like a good name for a running back. Let's see if he can live up to his name.

4. adam

adam Guero

Interesting. To be honest, I think Dayne has earned the roll of permanent Ahman Green replacement for this season (in fact, I am in favor of putting Green on IR and giving Dayne the season). Why? We are a passing team. What that means is that all we really need out of our RB is the ability to hold on the ball (in 8 seasons, I think Dayne only has 5 or 6 fumbles), the ability to stay healthy (has he ever been hurt?), and the ability to put up about 60 or more yards. Dayne is good for all of this.

That said, Walker was a rather explosive back at Notre Dame and should be tested with a few series in our next game.

5. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

So if Walker has been activated, whats the counter move? Craig Nall being released?

6. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I'm interested in seeing him get some carries. He looked pretty good when given a chance during preseason.

7. adam

adam Guero

Probably. Didn't we just sign him as insurance for Sage while Schaub was injured?

8. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

I wouldn't mind seeing a RBBC approach. Certainly anyone not named "Lendale White" is faster than Ron Dayne, so mixing it up in the backfield would add a little more dimension to our game. I would also like to see what Echemandu can do, but for some reason, Kubes DOESN'T institute DEN's famous (and frustrating) RBBC approach, otherwise known as "who's going to start for the Broncos this week?" that we've seen in the past. Kubes can take DEN's cast-off players, but not the RB carousel?

I think the Texans NEED to see what Walker can do. Just imagine if he starts a couple games and shows us all something...wouldn't you rather have a RB right now rather than use a draft pick for one? I think it's silly if the Texans don't give him a try.

9. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

I saw what Walker can do at ND, he will not have any big break out runs but he will not dance behind the line when you need one freakin yard either.

He can also catch out of the backfield and is not affraid to sick his nose in there on a blitz pickup, just do not expect blazing speed because he does not have that.

I am very interrested to see how Kubiak uses him.

10. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I too am very interested in seeing what he can do and how Kubes uses him. Also, might be a good FF sleeper pick up?

11. Specnatz

If you have a spot to burn I would consider it only (i do mean only) for his pass catching ability but that was while at ND and not in pro what worries me is the speed factor.

12. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

He's not a burner, but I think he is fast enough. He was the only player on ND who was doing anything against the fast LSU defense in the Sugar Bowl and he did seem to have some burst in the preseason.

13. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Shoot why not! Put 'em in...we're heading back up North.

14. dalonestartitan

dalonestartitan Rookie

I'm not a big fan of walker, I think his speed is pathetic. But lets see what he can do

15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I agree with what you said about Dayne. Frankly, unless the Texans deciede to invest in a real running back, I don't care if they start Bugs Bunny as long the ball carrier can block, not fumble, and get about 60 to 70 yards a game.

16. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

i think it's because of his last name. Walk all over defenses, blah blah, change his last name to runner blah blah. also easy to slander. (or would it be libel because it's typed?)

17. Specnatz

But I think he is faster than Dayne.

18. 2BCF

2BCF Hall of Fame

Or a good name for a bad basketball player.

Hope he does well, we could use the help there.

19. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

*Disregard PD beat me to the punch*

I think Darius Runner would be slightly better.

20. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

I respect him because he's undrafted and seemingly never gave up. Did those wonderful wednesdays with a smile on his face even though he could be released the next day...

Also the guy is a Kubiak RB, he's going to just hit the hole and run...so if there are holes he will succeed. I don't think he's going to make nothing out of something, he's going to depend on our inconsistent run blocking.

Also I remember in pre-season where he lost his helmet...mid carry...and continued to go on and get like 4 extra yards...

But him being sgined means Green isn't playing this week most likely.