Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dane Brugler of The Athletic 11/29/23 mock 1st round

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

Has the Texans selecting Iowa DB Cooper DeJean.

1. Bears (from Panthers) - Caleb Williams - USC - QB
2, Cardinals - Marvin Harrison Jr - Ohio State - WR
3. Patriots - Drake Maye - North Carolina - QB
4. Bears - Joe Alt - Notre Dame - OT
5. Commanders - Olu Fashanu - Penn State - OT
6. Giants - Malik Nabers - LSU - WR
7. Buccaneers - Jayden Daniels - LSU - QB
8. Jets - Brock Bowers - Georgia - TE
9. Chargers - JC Latham - Alabama - OT
10. Titans - Dallas Turner - Alabama - Edge
11. Raiders - Nate Wiggins - Clemson - CB
12. Saints - Keon Coleman - Florida State - WR
13. Packers - Terrion Arnold - Alabama - CB
14. Rams - Laiatu Latu - UCLA - Edge
15. Bengals - Rome Odunze - Washington - WR
16. Bills - Amarius Mims - Georgia - OT
17. Cardinals (from Texans) - Jared Verse - Florida State - Edge
18. Broncos - Kool-Aid McKinstry - Alabama - CB
19. Falcons - Chop Robinson - Penn State - Edge
20. Vikings - Jer'Zhan Newton - Illinois - DT
21. Colts - Taylor Guyton - Oklahoma - OT
22. Seahawks - JJ McCarthy - Michigan - QB
23. Steelers - Brian Thomas - LSU - WR
24. Texans (from Browns) - Cooper DeJean - CB - Iowa
25. Dolphins - Troy Fautanu - Washington - OL
26. Cowboys - Graham Barton - Duke - IOL
27. Lions - JT Tuimoloau - Ohio State - Edge
28. Jaguars - Emeka Egbuka - Ohio State - WR
29. Chiefs - Patrick Paul - Houston - OT
30. 49ers - Taliese Fuaga - Oregon State - OT
31. Ravens - Quinyon Mitchell - Toledo - CB
32. Eagles - Kingsley Suamataia - BYU - OT

About this mock:

* First 9 picks offensive players
* Only 11 defensive players
* Terrion Arnold is first Bama CB off the board
* 10 OL in 1st round

So Kyler Murray is dealt?
yes and my thinking : a quick look shocks with $46 million dead $ but if I was GM he's gone; too risky due to health and way he plays combined with his size. In addition, if on roster, his roster bonus beginning in 2025 avg $21 m per annum to add to AZ's cap. Of course finding a team to trade him to is issue but as always many teams will be desperate for a vet QB.

Having a 5 year rookie deal helps to absorb that $46 m added plus excitement of hoping to hit on the next CJ Stroud.

About this mock:

* 10 OL in 1st round
I’d be happy drafting DeJean to pair with Stingley. Although I wish Verse or Latu had fallen to us in this mock. We have to find a way to get pressure on the QB.

On that mock draft, I think we should take the next one .... Troy Fautanu or Taliese Fuaga ! After you secure one of the best players in the world, you don't keep running impotent blockers out there !

I’d be happy drafting DeJean to pair with Stingley. Although I wish Verse or Latu had fallen to us in this mock. We have to find a way to get pressure on the QB.
Would you be willing to trade up a few spots for one of Latu-, Verse?

I would be very happy with DeJohn.

On that mock draft, I think we should take the next one .... Troy Fautanu or Taliese Fuaga ! After you secure one of the best players in the world, you don't keep running impotent blockers out there !
You do know even with unprecedented injuries this yr the Texans are ranked 12th in pass pro by PFF. Not that PFF is the best all end all. Getting Scruggs back is like adding a high rd draft pick late in the year. So there's the pick you want added.

There's always a case to be made for protecting your most valuable asset. There are 10 OL taken in this mock 1st round, and it would not surprise me if there were that many selected, or more.

Would you be willing to trade up a few spots for one of Latu-, Verse?

I would be very happy with DeJohn.
Absolutely I’d be willing. If we could have WA paired with Latu/Verse for 3+ years then I absolutely I would. I think edge is one of our top needs. Having 2 edges on rookie deals would be something I’d love to see. Obviously it would depend on the price, but I’d do it if the price was right.

True but if we do not have pressure on the quarterback it is good to have defensive backs that can successfully defend the pass.

I think Cardinals will use their first pick on a QB and their 2nd round one to get a wide receiver. They have 3 thirds.
The problem with this is the guy who is projected to be #1 plays just like him. Same style and everything and he's 2 inches taller, 10lbs heavier which isn't significant. Even though this is a new regime and they didn't pick Kyler, they may just keep him and build around him like Philly did with Hurts. I think this is a tryout for Murray. He's a ultra talented dude with his arm and feet. He needs to do his part, but he's a talented dude.

True but if we do not have pressure on the quarterback it is good to have defensive backs that can successfully defend the pass.
Pressure up front is not only tied to dbs, but lbs. Right now, Cashman is the only cover LB. Perryman is a liability in coverage, Too is still learning as is Harris. It's been a problem since their existence.

Reactions: JB
Pressure up front is not only tied to dbs, but lbs. Right now, Cashman is the only cover LB. Perryman is a liability in coverage, Too is still learning as is Harris. It's been a problem since their existence.
Harris is making strides at improving. He actually looked pretty good in coverage last week.

The problem with this is the guy who is projected to be #1 plays just like him. Same style and everything and he's 2 inches taller, 10lbs heavier which isn't significant. Even though this is a new regime and they didn't pick Kyler, they may just keep him and build around him like Philly did with Hurts. I think this is a tryout for Murray. He's a ultra talented dude with his arm and feet. He needs to do his part, but he's a talented dude.
The quarterback I have Arizona selecting with 1.2 pick is Jayden Daniels. I can also see Arizona trading down a few picks and still getting him.

If the Texans moved DeJean to S I could see the benefit, but I'm not sold on him. Big 10 DBs don't see much in the way to top tier talent at WR or top tier offenses in general

About this mock:

* 10 OL in 1st round
It’s too early. There are so many teams locked up with same record, tie breakers crazy, sure to change next week big time. Texans pick to Arizona now #18 with 7-5 record same as Cleveland, but their pick (Texans). #24. It’s going down to wire, which pick is higher and which is lower. Be nice if we come out with a top 15 pick from Cleveland.
:logo:

Rewatching the 2023 Draft now. Carolina just selected Bryce Young who looks a hair shorter than Roger Goodell (5-11).

I haven’t watched ESPN Draft coverage in years, since NFL Network, but Mel is actually still relevant. He missed on CJ, not alone, but nailed Will Anderson Jr.

If Jer'Zhan Newton is available at 20 we need to trade up to get him, but will prolly be gone in the top 10. I would be happy with Newton or DeJean.

DeJean has best safety in the league potential.

IMO Texans need to prioritize defense in the 1st and FAs, then go offense. Get pair of Zak Zinter and Blake Corrum from Michigan and the identity of our run game changes instantly. Throw in Cade Stover as a little frosting.

If the Texans moved DeJean to S I could see the benefit, but I'm not sold on him. Big 10 DBs don't see much in the way to top tier talent at WR or top tier offenses in general

Hating on a conference is a way to get horrible draft value. Do I need to name the WRs from the B1G. Hell, Ohio State alone makes your statement ludicrous.

Hating on a conference is a way to get horrible draft value. Do I need to name the WRs from the B1G. Hell, Ohio State alone makes your statement ludicrous.
Big 10 WRs seem to be down from last year's class, aside from the OSU receivers. One guy I like is Michigan slot receiver Roman Wilson. But we won't know if he's declaring until after the playoffs.

I do like several Big 10 DBs in this draft. Besides DeJean, I still think Penn State's Kalen King will end up in the 1st. Maybe Denzel Burke of Ohio State if he declares. On day 2, Rutgers Max Melton would be a nice pick, as well as Minnesota FS Tyler Nubin. The guy that has really jumped out to me is Michigan CB Mike Sainristil.. He may end up as a nickel CB only, but he has a knack for big plays and is not afraid to hit someone.

Back