Dan Reeves to Dallas....

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by drewmar74, Jan 28, 2009.

1. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

As a consultant.

I wonder if he's going to recommend that Jerrah sign David Carr to an extension?

REEVES TO DALLAS LOOKS TO BE A DONE DEAL
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 28, 2009, 5:45 p.m.

One of the great things about Radio Row is that the room attracts plenty of people who have access to plenty of NFL rumors.

And though this one isn’t much of a shock, we’ve heard enough to conclude that Dan Reeves will very soon be joining the Dallas Cowboys as a Bill Parcells or Floyd Reese-style consultant.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN first reported the possible move earlier this week.

It doesn’t mean that the Cowboys will fire coach Wade Phillips, especially since Phillips and Reeves have worked together extensively in the past.

It also doesn’t mean that owner Jerry Jones will listen to anything that Reeves has to say, if it conflicts in any way with that which Jones already wants to hear

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

2. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

I vote for option (b

:coffee:

3. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Well they need somebody with some sense...and he was a Cowboy.

We'll see how this goes.

4. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

didn't go too far as Reeves is apparently already quitting after just two days. you just can't make this stuff up...

A source confirmed Wednesday afternoon that Dan Reeves left the organization.

Reeves official hire, or role with the organization was never formally announced, but we're told he had an office at the Cowboys complex and had been working directly with Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones.

The source said, "there were issues."

Reeves apparently quit over a philosophical issue with Jones.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/sports/football/Dan-Reeves-Already-Out-at-Valley-Ranch.html

5. Txn_in_FL

Txn_in_FL Lucky 13

REALLY? I can't imagine why anyone would have issues or philosophical problems with how Jerry runs the show over there.

6. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Jerry wanted him to help with the coaching staff...he didn't want to.

So there you go.

7. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Porbably wanted him to keep TO.

I'm peeved. You can hear the pride in Reeves comments...someone my Boys need and Jerry fails him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3884953

I'm not sure if it was coaching in general though. I think it was more the scope of what his executive decisions would be....GM type work.

8. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Ya know... if Jerrah would just sit back a bit and be an "owner", hire / keep the quality people (Jimmy.... Tuna... Dan....) the Cowboys may have a better recent history, probably more continuous fans which leads to more money for Jerrah.

But, Jerrah wants to be it all with a "yes man" coach and the big names and drama.

9. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I heard it on a streamed radio station so I don't know too much...it doesn't matter to me one way or the other really. Although I've always like Coach Reeves.

10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I'm just reading up on it and was speculating on the GM type work. You were probably right in the coaching since he wants Wade to succeed and he used to be under him in Denver and Atlanta. I just thought this was a positive step. Of course it could have been a step for Jerry to cover his ass and start blaming bad decisions on the new guy.

11. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

Reeves is old school. Maybe it's a good thing he didn't get involved in that DalASS mess.

12. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

This is a DARK day for the Cowboys. I have been an ardent Jones supporter but he has really run the franchise into the ground in Dallas. Reeves was no savior but at least he was someone that Jerry seemed willing to listen to. Lord knows Jerry and his son have screwed the pooch. Reeves and his abrupt resignation are symptomatic of Jerry's inability to listen to anyone anymore.

The best thing for the Cowboys to do would be to trade/release Owens and just bite the bullet. He is truly a cancer and the whole Hollywood-Reality TV act is not going to help them win football games. Go back to being a defensive minded team with a good running game and the ability to convert on 3rd down with an efficient passing game. It's obvious you can't ask Romo to be 'the man'. Dude pretty much sucks without Parcells around. Just sayin.

I am all for the Cowboys just cutting Owens and screw his whole show up. Sadly, it would probably only increase the interest in his 'show'....but when one final roster spot is a reality show winner, what do you expect? It's like some convoluted version of the Jackie Sherrill 12th Man, truly a great piece of A&M folklore, albeit somewhat brief.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  13. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Stephen answers to Jerry and probably had nothing to do with this. In fact almost all the sports writers in Dallas say when he takes over he will have a totally different approach to running the team than Jerry does. I can only hope!

They should cut TO. Will they? Some say behind closed doors it's being discussed. I'm kinda thinking they won't but should.

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Wouldn't it cost them out the poop chute to cut to? I think I heard Shefter say that at one time or another. In other words, they're screwed. Now they have an up and coming mouth in Roy W. :gun:

15. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

Cowboy news? I'm sorry I couldn't hear it clealy over the sound of the Sixburgh Steelers Lombardi trophys all falling over.

:trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy:

Must be good to be Mr. Rooney...

Texan_Bill likes this.
  16. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

It will cost them but they can do it in March I believe and it will cost them less than doing it now. Many say this will hamper resigning a guy like Ware. But many of us think that it would be wasting a season if you just let him stay and cause problems. You might as well see what you have in Roy and go with the other guys. I think this mentally helps Romo too.

Congrats to a fine team but I don't really think making fun of a team because they have 5 SB trophys and not 6 is really that effective...I'll take the 5 for now. :)

17. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Repped!!!

18. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

It was an "hours clause" that caused the friction. Seriously...you couldn't drop this Jerry?....later in this article Ray Lewis talks about joining Dallas

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/020609dnspocowreeves.413368b.html

19. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

I'm just messin' with you guys man! Just cause I don't LIKE the Cowboys...doesn't mean I don't respect them.

20. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I don't know the specifics and I'm not where I can look it up but certainly they would take a fairly sizable cap hit.