Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dan Reeves Hired!!!

I think this is perfect......and one of the best decisions that the Texans have made in their history. Reeves knows what being a winner takes, and he won't hold anything back from McNair, I mean who lies to thier friends. Reeves been out of coaching for a while and his mind is fresh and I think he is ready to get back into something football and this is a good move for him. I think its also a good PR move because it shows that McNair and the Texans are giving up and tells the players don't you be giving up either because you have somebody staring at your every move.

You look at the simalarites between Reeves coached teams and the Texans.......we have a very mobile QB with a big arm just as Reeves had with John Elway and Micheal Vick.......we like to run the dadgum ball.......our defense is set up to stop the run and put pressure on the QB....we play to darn conservative.......this a lot of similarties between the way he play football and the way Reeves played football.

I don't know what McClain was talking about when Reeve has never played a 3-4 defense.....if I am not mistaken (which I'm not) Reeves played the 3-4 in Atlanta with Wade Phillips as DC (who is now in SD). Reeves has been around the 3-4 before, he coaced it.

You have to be joking when you say you've never seen a team hire a past HC to be a consultant. Just a couple of years ago Jim Fassel was hired as a consultant to the Ravens when he was fired as HC of the Giants. It was at the beninning of the season, but its been done before, by a lot of teams. By the way, Fassel is now OC of the Ravens. God help him.

I can see Reeves coaching here, or at least being GM. You just don't hire a consultant to just evalute players when you have your GM doing it right there already. I think somebody already said this and I'll say it again, but I think McNair doesn't know who all should be fired. Should Capers be fired? Is it Casserely's fault? I think thats what Reeves is here for to find out who done it and if somebody can fix it and how long it will take. From what I here we will be here 6 weeks. Enough time to find out how things work, fire Capers and Casserely, and find replacements. In the end it may be what George W. Bush did with Chenney when Chenney was helping "search" for a VP........."oh well, after searching and searching, I found out that the right guy was right under my nose." Thats something that we might here come January.

Who will Reeves fire? Who will Reeves cut? Does Capers and Chasserly get fired and Pete Carroll come in and get full control and $6 million or does Chasserly stay, Kubiak comes in from a place Reeves know will in Denver? Will Reeves say get Reggie Bush or trade down? Will David Carr get an $8 million dolllar extension? Who knows, but over the next 6 weeks there will be some fire works.

Man!! You made my year with that picture.. Thats sort off the way I have pictured all of us here on this message board. Glad to see Charlies finally getting the point. CAN YOU FEEL ME CHARLIE? CAN YOU FEEL ME??

Yeah, 610 mentioned that they should've know something was up when they held the conference normally in a 16 person room was moved to the team meeting room (100+ capacity).

They said it looked fitting with McNair and Reeves on the inside 2 of the 4 guys with Capers and Casserly on each side... actually, they said standing on the "outside" of the group.

I could see Reeves possibly being the GM but not the HC. If we do hire him as GM it would probably solidify Kubiak being our next HC since they both obviously have close ties to the Broncos.

I'm not sure who posted it, but a few weeks ago there was a "I blame Mr. McNair" thread going around. I hope whoever started that thread is man enough to start a "I take back blaming Mr. McNair" thread.

PICTURE_scout116.gif

"Ahhhh... we have sort of a problem here, Charley.
Hmmm, yeeaaaahhh... Ahhh... I'm going to have
to ask you to come in on Sunday, too.
That would be great."

Boxscore said:
Reeves will be the next Texan coach and will consult Mcnair on who the new GM should and will be. Reves has won the Super Bowl and has coached high profile teams. No Brainer

Houston fans better get ready for a new brand of offense.

1st down: Run
2nd down: Run
3rd down: Pass

If the Texans end up with Bush and hire Reeves it will be a bad combination. Reeves has more experience than Capers, but they share the exact same coaching philosophy - conservative offense and a 3-4 defense.

F-minus67 said:
I'm just wondering, did everyone on the message boards see Office Space recently?
its a classic!!

dom would make a good DC i think. i want to see those "extravagant blitzes" and that "tenacious defense"...while playing out of the 3-4.

and nfls "coach k" im guessing is the front runner for the position at HC to try and restructure our offense. carr's 3rd offensive scheme. 3rd times a charm isnt it?!?! *counting to make sure its 3* a QB coach to work exclusively with our qbs wouldnt hurt either. get this other nut job (roman) out of here

Consultant for now. Since I think I heard / saw that McNair and Reeves went to school together, he trusts his friend's viewpoint since he's been in the nfl for quite some time (especially longer than "20 years").

So, McNair's just relying on his business savvy - that he can't apparently trust his front office enough, and he can't form a non-opinionated view since it's his business and doesn't quite have the knowledge to back it up... bring in the consultant to help him form an opinion of where it's actually broke and what he has to work with.

If the "broke" ends up being players... coaches... GM, so be it. If any of those are saveable and can get his business successful faster - so be that way as well.

McNair's just looking for an outside, honest opinion that he can trust. Let's see what happens.

It would be no upgrade going from Capers to Reeves. Reeves is more conservative because he will try and run the ball even without the benefit of a decent back (Sammy Winder, Gerald Wilhite, Steve Sewell, Bobby Humphrey). John Elway didn't have a great statistical year until 1993 when he threw for over 4000 yards and had 25 TDs against 10 interceptions. Incidentally, that was the first year without Reeves coaching. 11 years to reach those numbers for a hall of fame QB is absurd. It was Reeve's coaching that did that to him. Elway did have some good years before then, but never like that. Reeves is a good evaluator and if that's what he is truly just going to be doing then I am fine with it. Hopefully, he can convince McNair to bring in Kubiak.

eriadoc said:
Regarding Reeves' coaching acumen -- if he gets us to three Super Bowls in a decade, as he did with the Broncos, or even one Super Bowl, as he did with the Falcons, I'll be a much happier fan. Reeves knows his stuff. And for the comment about the QB situation in Atlanta - Reeves was the one who swung the deal to get Vick. He was fired immediately following Vick's first game, I think I remember reading.

At minimum, he's a coach that's been to four Super Bowls that can evaluate talent. At best, he's our next GM :)

Actually he was fired after a win. Vick was hurt most of the year and came back to play against the Texans. I would think all Texans fans would remember the game. Carr came out in the 2nd half with one arm and led the team to a victory against the Falcons. The Falcons then beat Indy and Reeves was let go replaced again by Wade Phillips who followed him in Denver also. This all happened in Vick's 3rd season.

TexanBacker93 said:
It would be no upgrade going from Capers to Reeves. Reeves is more conservative because he will try and run the ball even without the benefit of a decent back ......

See, here's where I have to disagree with you. If Capers' conservative system got us to 3 Super Bowls in a decade, I could care less what Carr's stats end up being. I could care less what running back we have. Reeves lost all 4 Super Bowls he coached in, but he did have the misfortune of running up against some powerhouse teams - Teams that were good enough to repeat Super Bowl appearances/wins. The Broncos made it to the Super Bowl 3 of 4 years and lost to the Giants and to the 49ers (twice). He took a Falcons team to the Super Bowl and lost to a Broncos team that won back-to-back titles. So it's not like he was Dick Vermeil taking one Eagles team to a Super Bowl and losing. Granted, it would be more impressive if he'd won one or more, but hey, Capers hasn't sniffed one, so it's definitely an upgrade.

But personally, I want Reeves as GM.

Dan Reeves has been to more Super Bowls and played a part in more playoff games than anyone I can think of as a player, assistant coach and head coach. He has been around winning, knows football, and would be someone who would keep my ear if he was offering me advice on football operations, top to bottom.

Maybe he'll take one of the positions, but he says no. I think what he is really here to do is make a load of money as McNair's personal football brain. He'll evaluate the talent we have on the roster to decide who lives or dies, and assess needs for next year's draft (don't say Bush is a no-brainer; personally I don't think we need a running back).

It's pretty obvious McNair has lost confidence in what his football people are telling him. So Dan will also advise Mr. McNair on who to hire as a GM and HC.

What an awkward position only someone like Dan Reeves could fill.

DAN REEVES IS HERE AS A CONSULTANT.

Can we close this thread off and dump it to the archives already since no new or real information is being put in here and the thread is quickly growing in size and going no where?

MorKnolle said:
DAN REEVES IS HERE AS A CONSULTANT.

Can we close this thread off and dump it to the archives already since no new or real information is being put in here and the thread is quickly growing in size and going no where?

Anytime a team makes a move like this with more than a hint of covert dealings, there will be rampant speculation. Better that the speculation finds its way into one thread that you don't have to visit.

I think many of you are missing the point here. Mr. McNair gathered advice from other owners on what to do. Using this advice, he then chose his "friend" Coach Reeves to help out the franchise. I think these facts lead directly to the conclusion that Coach Reeves is nothing more than a front man for some nefarious group that is planning on a hostile takeover of the Houston Texans. Coach Reeves is actually here to take Mr. McNair's job! If you don't think a friend would do this to a friend, I'll just say "Et tu, Brute?"

The only other alternative I can see is that Coach Reeves is here as aconsultant to help his friend Mr. McNair draw up a road map for fixing this franchise's problems, but what are the odds of that?

The way I read McNair's comment about Reeves not evaluating Capers or Casserly, is that he's already come to a decision regarding that, and that both will be gone at the end of the season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Reeves' "consulting" job is really to give him a head start to evaluate the talent on the team before taking over the GM position, and start deciding who to keep, and who to cut. Also, to give Carr some serious evaluation before deciding whether to extend him or not.

And of course, ponder who the next HC (Kubiak) will be. (But that's just my personal preference.) :)

Of course, this is all just pure speculation (hope). As for McClain, I see it as the old, "Those who can't do it, critique it." Old boy should keep his yap shut, and let McNair run the organization as he sees fit. I don't care if he has been a sports writer for 40 years. If he's never been inside an organization, then he really doesn't have any right to whine about it. (Not that I know if he has or not. I couldn't seem to find any bio info on him.)

Anyone watching Cold Pizza? Caught last minute of a piece where they were talking about Dan Reeves here in Houston and it was said that Dan Reeves wants to be the head coach and/or GM for the Texans by next season. I did not catch the source or if it was just a rumor at this point.

texan279 said:
Anyone watching Cold Pizza? Caught last minute of a piece where they were talking about Dan Reeves here in Houston and it was said that Dan Reeves wants to be the head coach and/or GM for the Texans by next season. I did not catch the source or if it was just a rumor at this point.

I saw that too, I think the guy who mentioned that was from the Ft Worth Star Telegram...

If Dan Reeves is going to take over any position in the Texans organization it will likely be GM. That will give him the freedom to still do the things he enjoys with his large family and keep the stress down on his bad ticker. It would also mean that we would likely bring in Kubiak as the new HC.

Back