Dan Neil on Alex Gibbs

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by hookinreds, Jan 25, 2008.

1. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

No real new revelation here, but thought I would share something from one of Gibbs former players.

So I was talking to Dan Neil this morning and asked him what were his thoughts on Alex Gibbs and what impact he will have on the Texans. Amazing enough, he had no idea that Gibbs had signed on with the Texans. He then proceeded to say he had one word of advice for our players, “RUN”, as in get the heck out of there (jokingly). He said he’s an “mean ‘ol SOB” (again jokingly). Gibbs is all about positive yards, and that he expects to get at least three yards per carry, and that he expects his offense to be third and four, or forth and one and be able to convert. Said it’s all about one cut and gone, or else you will be cut and gone. Dan said the Texans will be a top five running team next year because of what Gibbs will do for the run game. I wanted to get into who we have on the line and who would work for us in the draft, but was cut short.

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

good, I get tired of the 2nd and 1 or 3rd and one or even whatever and goal and we run up the middle and get nothing out of it.. I am loving the fire from the coach on that

it drove me nuts on sundays that short yardage situation we seem to stumble at times in the running game

3. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

And everyone blames Dayne for that....those short yardage situations are ALL on the OL and this is AWESOME news that it may finally be dealt with!

4. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

I have a feeling that Gibbs will like Dayne ;)

5. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Yeah, Dayne ALWAYS gets 2 yds. per carry. :)

6. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

I totally agree.

7. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Although 'cut' is not really in Dayne's repertoire. He's a point and go 'holes be dammed' kind of back. A plow in other words.

Denver really didn't have a Dayne-like back while Gibbs was there. That was TD's heyday with a little Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson sprinkled in at the end.

I don't recall KC having a guy like that either during that era (Marcus Allen).

Atlanta may have had Duckett for a year or two while Gibbs was involved there but yes, Kubiak likes Dayne and that may be enough to keep him around here - especially when we are still in such a RB poor situation. I don't care if your name is Alex Gibbs. If all we have to offer is a gimped out Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Darius Walker and Chris Taylor, we're not going to be setting fear into the hearts of our opponents. We need a couple sets of serious fresh young legs in the backfield.

Apparently the Neil interview was on a Austin, TN radio station earlier this week.

8. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

I just noticed that I didn't say that I talked to him when he was on with Bucky on the morning show (1300AM Austin).

As for Dayne, again he doesn't fumble, and get's positive yards even if it's just one or two. I too would like to see some fresh legs in the backfield that could make that one cut and be gone.

9. austintexanite

austintexanite All Pro

Ronnie has been consistent for us the past two years, and even if we draft Stewart or Mendenhall with our first pick, I expect him to be back with us next year. The guy has proven me wrong.

10. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

The whole "pass it from the 2 yard line" mentality the NFL has gone to kills me.

See AJ's quote...took the words out of mouth.
    I think Walker and Taylor are gonna be HUGE in the future.

Dayne has earned a special place in my heart. That dude could be Earl Campbell reincarnated with Gibbs as a coach. I know that smacks of sacrilege, but think on it before you crucify me.

11. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I don't think one of the will be on the team next season. My guess is Chris Taylor will be the odd man out. Rick Smith said RB is a priority this offseason so chances are good we won't be going into next season with Ahman Green, Taylor, Walker, Dayne and and another back, Taylor is the most unproven and most inexperienced. Double negative probably won't be a positive in his case

12. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I think Taylor will make it through to TC and from there, it's anybody's guess. I doubt the Texans are gonna target a RB in FA and won't draft one until round 4 or 5 unless everyone ahead of us gets real stupid all of the sudden. Gibbs will have some film to watch of Taylor and I think that will be the deciding factor.

13. GP

GP Go Texans!

After the Taylor injury, and then Ahman getting hurt, and then Dayne getting hurt, and having to rely on an undrafted guy (Darius Walker) at the end of the season, who was CUT and then re-signed in an emergency situation, I think you'll see Kubiak keep as many running backs as he can.

I think we could see Ahman getting the pink slip ala Domanick Davis. This would leave Dayne, Taylor, and Walker. Look for a running back in the draft, and then maybe a free agency signing to give us a total of 5 backs to go through camp with. Would make sense to me, especially with injuries.

14. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

I'm pretty sure Darius Walker is still practice squad elligable, they might work a deal with him that way (Like: if someone gets injured your the first person we'll consider deal) Cruel yes, but thats cap politics for you. Hopefully the league will decide on increasing the roster size this year since there is no more nfl europe.

15. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Why did we give up Lundy? I still can't figure this one out. Has he signed with another team? I never really looked into that.

16. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

The Texans also released second-year running back Wali Lundy, a starter a year ago. Houston signed Ahman Green in the off-season and has 1999 Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne and Samkon Gado.
    "Samkon has had an excellent off-season," Kubiak said. "Wali improved, but I think the whole group improved and it was a tough call between him and Samkon and we felt like Samkon has won that position. It was very difficult to let Wali go."
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d801fb3c0&template=with-video&confirm=true

17. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

I wish we had kept Lundy instead of Gado. Lundy just looked like a guy with more potential

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Both of them have the potential to watch the NFL from their couches.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Funny, & so true

20. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

I remember Lundy had a heartwarming story...