Dallas Cowboy Draft Board Revealed.

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Texans_Chick, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

My write up at FanHouse

Dallas Cowboys Draft Board Revealed?

Video cameras came into the Cowboys war room and fans figured out what the Cowboys draft board looked like from the pictures.

2. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Something tells me these kind of stories don't just happen on their own...

Same Story - Two years ago!

3. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Yep...

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I was just going to say! Seems like this has happened before.

5. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

So in other words they had Kareem Jackson roughly rated as their 34th best prospect in the draft, 9th best DB and 4th best CB.

Take a look at where the had the RB's ranked: Mathews (2nd), Tate (4th).

Keep in mind this is relative to the Cowboys, their Schemes and their needs.

6. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

This. I bet you there were 5 different CB's who were the top CB on a teams draft board.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Not only that, it looks more like a mock draft, than a draft board. There is no way a pro draft board is going to have one line of continuity.

All that is telling me, is they thought those players would be gone at those spots. They had Houston taking Navarro Bowman, an OLB from Penn State. (who didn't get drafted till the 3rd, by a guy who knows LBs).

You can't tell me the Cowboys thought Sam Bradford was the best player in this draft.

8. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

True, the Cowboys need help at Safety, not CB right now. I was just curious where Jackson went because I had never heard his name going in the 1st round to anyone during mock draft season. Still seems like a reach.

9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

The first line is definitely draft grades on players for their scheme. They admitted that they moved up to get Lee because he was that high...top 15.. on their board because he would be the new Brooking.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

No way the Cowboys gave Sam Bradford the highest grade possible for their scheme.

Position wise, I think we can tell they have McCoy rated higher than Suh.. or that they thought Detroit rated McCoy higher than Suh.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

That was the first thing that jumped out to me.

12. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

They have grades on every player there....every position. They grade out talent. The Cowboys had Lee in the first grade and Jones explained that it was why they moved up in the 2nd to get him. The obviously knew he wasn't going in the top 16 in the 1st because of his injury past. It is their personal draft grades

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=376F49DC-961E-7FF4-857147CF55DCE37F

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/4/26/1445433/cowboys-draft-2010-what-theyre

13. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Does anybody really think that Jones' does not about camera placement and Hi-Def photography to let this happen? More then once?

14. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

If you read my story, you would see I wrote about it two years ago too. :barman:

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't doubt every team has a grade for the majority, or nearly all the players in the draft. I don't believe that is reflected in the Cowboys Mock, which is the first line on the board.

16. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

Sooooo....

If Dez Bryant had gone before the #24 pick would Dallas have stayed pat at #27 and selected Sean Lee and kept their #90 overall?

That would have had Navorro Bowman as their pick in the 2nd round, which would not have mane sense based on the pick of Sean Lee as a LB already in the 1st. That would have left them with Brandon Ghee in the second round who, ended up going very late in the supplemental part of the 3rd. That is unless their "covered name" in the 2nd was available.

They got lucky that Dez fell to them or their draft board would have blown up in their faces.

17. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

That is extreme and not true. If Bryant went high then you target someone else or that is when you move back. Jones has moved back in a large amount of drafts. There were also guys that mocks had them taking at 27 that fell...Taylor Mays, etc. Alot of drafts had Mays as their guy. They could get him or move back. At that point they moved up to get Bryant. They probably had a spot where they decided hat direction they would go. There were still other players they could get out there....Wilson was also there at CB. They have 2 younger studs and Newman is getting old so might have gone for best talent. My bet, since safety and OT were high on their list is that if they didn't get Bryant they move back.

Thunder, I said their grading is the first line. Considering they told everyone Lee was Top 16 and he is on that list, what is there not to believe. Those are the guys, no matter position, that graded out Level 1 for them.

18. GP

GP Go Texans!

Yeah, without reading all the write-ups on this...

I say this was all a bit of trickery. They know the cameras will show those images, and so they create a fake board in hopes that any other teams out there (who have their spies looking at stuff like that) will somehow buy into the rankings.

Just my two cents.

19. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

My point wasn't to criticize, but more to guess at what would / could have been. If they truly had Sean Lee at 14 then there would not be a reason for them to trade down out of that pick...Taylor Mays would not have been the choice in the 1st based off of their board.

I think they got a much better draft based off of their own board with Dez falling to them. They would have chosen Lee at #27 in the first vs. getting him at #55 in the 2nd. A clear win for the 'Boys value wise.

Makes me wonder what would have happened to the Texans if Mathews had made it to #20...Who would have been the pick for them in the 2nd round?

I don't know why I am so fascinated by seeing a peek behind the curtains of an NFL team's draft board. I guess it's because teams value different players so differently based on their own scouting and team philosophy.

20. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I know you weren't criticizing, I was just trying to explain what they might have done if Dez was done, from what I read predraft in the DMN, etc. I think despite having Lee so high on their board..which many articles said they did...they might have known that most teams had him going in the 2nd because of his past injuries. So I am thinking they could have traded back and got him. Mays wasn't rated high but because of his fall I'm sure they though the same based on raw talent...that they could move back a little and take him since safety was a need.

What I liked from Jones this year was that he didn't do like last year. Last year they had 12 picks that they accumulated over the years from trading down and basically took 12 random guys hoping to hit on a few while some would be STers. He should have packaged picks and taken guys they wanted...there were some targeted that they didn't go after. This year he figured they had talent and instead of reaching they would go after THEIR guys and move up. We will see how it worked but I'd rather have 3 impact guys out of 6 then hoping 3 come out of 12.