Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cuts made

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
The Houston Texans have released WR Bryant Johnson, G Kasey Studdard, LB Omar Gaither, P Brett Hartmann and RB Davin Meggett.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Well, there goes the theory that Hartman will be coming back to do the kick offs. Guess we are stuck with short kick offs for the season if someone picks him up.

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
I was thinking Meggett would be safe from this wave of cuts. I was expecting him to carry some of the workload for the final preseason game.

Texn4life

All Pro
Gaither played well on special teams. He in Megget were just caught in a numbers game. They should both go to the UFL and get some playing experience. Both should be in someone's camp again next year.

TexanCR

Practice Squad
Hartmann gone? I guess Graham will handle the punts now...wondering if we can resign Hartmann from the street once he is healthy?

PapaL

Loose Screw
Well, there goes the theory that Hartman will be coming back to do the kick offs. Guess we are stuck with short kick offs for the season if someone picks him up.
I don't think anyone else is in a rush to pick up a P serving a suspension and coming off an injury. He might still be our guy...or maybe not.

honored82

Waterboy
6th Rounder Mondek also got cut. Another draft bust. So we had 89 and now we down to 75. Anyone has the complete list of 14 players

Texn4life

All Pro
This doesn't mean Hartman won't come back. Just doesn't make sense to keep him on the roster. Then we'd have to guarantee his salary.

TexanExile

A New Hope
I'm sure Hartmann is a safe cut for now due to the suspension. Nobody would pick up an injured AND suspended punter from the wire.

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
As much as I liked Meggett during the draft process, I am not too surprised to see him cut. He must not have done at well at practice as Grimes did, because he sure didn't see a lot of playing time during the pre-season. I expect him to land on the PS though. He has talent.

Hartmann is a bit of a surprise, but again, not terribly so. He is suspended for the first 3 games of the season, and Jones is a heck of a punter.

Gaither, Johnson, and Studdard are not surprises.

Mondek is not either, but it is too early to declare him a draft bust. I fully expect him to score a gig on the PS as well. Athleticism at his size is hard to teach.

K

kingh99

Glad to see Kubiak's growth and transformation to the Gordon Gecko phase of power wielding. He's cutting (ir-ing) guys who have personal ties. Godfather phase awaits. Recently demoted Capo Wade Adams quietly watches.

610 hitting on all the insecurities precisely. TJ exposed but also acknowledging the team around him was weak as hell. Right side starting O-line struggling. Holliday saved by Martin fumbling twice.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
The guys on 610 are terrible. They reported that Bret Hartman was using steriods.

And I thought we got an extra roster space for Hartman because of the suspension. It seems weird that if that is the case why we would cut him. But it is only a kicker...

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
Ok... I found those five cuts on rotoworld. I have found the rest for the day on the official board.

C Thomas Austin, ILB Omar Gaither, P Brett Hartmann, WR Bryant Johnson, WR Mario Louis, RB Davin Meggett, T Nick Mondek, DE Jimmy Saddler-McQueen, FB Derrell Smith, G Kasey Studdard, CB Torri Williams

honored82

Waterboy
The guys on 610 are terrible. They reported that Bret Hartman was using steriods.

And I thought we got an extra roster space for Hartman because of the suspension. It seems weird that if that is the case why we would cut him. But it is only a kicker...
We would have to pay him for the entire season if he is on the roster on Week 1 plus he would waste a spot for 3 weeks, as he's suspended, and nobody would pick him anyways, as he is injured and suspended right now.

We can always sign him cheap in Week 4.

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Grimes has been damn good on ST coverage.
I dont know if both make the roster, but this is the truth! Grimes has been a beast this pre-season. He really surprised me, I thought that Meggett would be the guy on the roster, and Grimes would land on the PS. I think I got it backwards...

utahmark

markbeth
6th Rounder Mondek also got cut. Another draft bust. So we had 89 and now we down to 75. Anyone has the complete list of 14 players
I don't think bust is the right word. The days of 6th and 7th rounders having a high percentage chance of making this team thier first year is over.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Can a 6th round pick even be considered a bust regardless if he washes out or not? It's the 6th round.. those picks are basically just fliers and it's not uncommon for a team to cut a low draft pick. He'll probably end up on the practice squad anyways.

Also I don't know how the hell anybody could label Bullock or Posey a bust already. Bullock is stashed on IR and is still in the team's future plans as is Posey who everyone already knew was going to be brought along slowly.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
Wouldn't Hartmann have to serve his suspension once signed by somebody? Him being cut doesn't excuse him from serving it or am I confused?

Texn4life

All Pro
Wouldn't Hartmann have to serve his suspension once signed by somebody? Him being cut doesn't excuse him from serving it or am I confused?
Well when Hargrove was released by the Packers last week they said that his suspension would start week 1 even if he wasn't picked up before then. I'm assuming it would be the same situation with Hartmann.

eriadoc

Texan-American
A 6th round pick is a crapshoot, no matter what anyone tells you. I'd much rather the team recognize the failure and make the cut right away than drag it out a few years, possibly costing some actual contributors a spot on the team.

A third rounder, on the other hand ....

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
It is an NFL suspension, not a texans suspension so he will have to serve it at whatever point he is on an active roster.

Texn4life

All Pro
It is an NFL suspension, not a texans suspension so he will have to serve it at whatever point he is on an active roster.
From NFL.com

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello also told NFL.com and NFL Network that Hargrove's eight-game suspension will start in Week 1 of the 2012 regular season, regardless if he's with a team or not at that time.
http://www.nfl.com/news/article/anthony-hargrove-released-by-green-bay-packers

Situations should be the same right?

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
I expect them to put Mondek on the practice squad. None of these cuts are a surprise though, I doubt any of them will be on another team's 53 in week 1.

eriadoc

Texan-American
Casey Studdard cut??? Shocking!!! As if we didn't all know he was simply a "camp body", right???
Is that what they call that body type? Hell, give me a few more years of the good life and I may just develop a camp body. The older I get, the harder it is to avoid.

Rey

I want to see grimes on the roster and Forsett cut.

It's not that I don't like Forsett. I think he's a serviceable third rb. But I think grimes has potential to be more than that. I think he already the better player anyways.

But kubiak has to decide if he wants to rely on that much youth.

eriadoc

Texan-American

It's not that I don't like Forsett. I think he's a serviceable third rb. But I think grimes has potential to be more than that. I think he already the better player anyways.

I agree. It's a tough call, but Forsett doesn't offer the between-the-tackles ability that Grimes does. I like Forsett in the open field better. If I can only pick one, I take Grimes.

beerlover

Hall of Fame

What about Grimes @ FB? Little undersized but his blocking looks solid. Remember Peyton Hillis was 3rd string on Arkansas depth chart but you could see his talent, one cut downhill runner with power. Maybe you see a little of the same in Grimes. I agree, Texans need to keep him but also Forsett as well. His experience will prove invaluable plus I think he can really help this offense gel & he won't turn the ball over is a willing blocker & very affordable.

GP

Go Texans!
Grimes looks way better running the ball than Forsett.

We should have all four RBs on the 53, IMO. One guy gets dinged, be it Foster or Tate, and you'll need that 4th guy really badly.

Grimes is really good.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

I could see him keeping both Grimes and Forsett .... Likely means they go one short at another position - QB , OLB and CB are likely spots.
Carmichael played his way out of a spot , Keenum could stay on the PS and Nading could just run out of roster spots.

Forsett looked real good in the touches he got against the Aints.

Grimes reminds me of a hybrid of Foster and Tate .... Glides thru holes like Foster but hammers guy's like Tate. Just isnt as shifty as Foster. I like the way he covers up the ball in traffic too .... both hands.
He has also made numerous plays on kickoff and punt coverage ....

The kid has some real good qualities , might be another UDFA gem by Smith.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Not sure how age in a 3rd back is that important to Kubiak.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I could see him keeping both Grimes and Forsett .... Likely means they go one short at another position - QB , OLB and CB are likely spots.
That's where I'm at with it. I think they both make the team although I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them cut.

We would have to pay him for the entire season if he is on the roster on Week 1 plus he would waste a spot for 3 weeks, as he's suspended, and nobody would pick him anyways, as he is injured and suspended right now.

We can always sign him cheap in Week 4.
Nevermind