Cut Blocks: dirty football?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Vinny, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

It says alot about their coach when they practice cut blocks and won't use them against their own team because they don't wan't to injure their own players.
    www.ajc.com

2. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i don't know if it's dirty football...because it gets the job done...and if both the offensive and defensive players are diciplined enough no injuries would occur...but that's not the case is it...realistically this type of block injuries probably 20+ players a season in the nfl...and a lot more in college...the key to this is the o-lineman not rolling when they cut block...that's when they injure players...rolling to make sure they get them...it's just all about the knees man...you gotta protect your knees...WR's do the same block on everyone else...it's just a matter of being aware on the field

3. J-Man

J-Man Veteran

I can assure that no matter how much situational awareness you might have if you get cut blocked by a pulling guard or crack blocked by a WR you run a big risk of getting hurt. The block is legal but it is definetly a major cause of injuries among linemen and LBs. I have seen countless times when a guard or center is coming around on a pull or screen and takes a guys legs out...and injuries occur pretty frequently.

All in all...it is a legal move, one that both sides of the line use on occaision. I don't fault Alex Gibbs for instituting it or protecting his players in practice from it, that's just how it is in football.

4. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

It is dirty but effective. I guess it is the Texans way now.

5. Panther5407

Panther5407 All Pro

I dont think its dirty. Its says it hurts people, but any little thing can hurt someone. Playing football is risking getting hurt, just be aware for that because its actually easy to aviod if you know how.

6. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I'm thinking the 49ers use to use some type of blocking that would get their opponents all riled up. I think it was the crackback block.

7. wags

wags Hall of Fame

Is there a difference between a chop and a cut block?

8. J-Man

J-Man Veteran

WWJD...you're refering to what is known as the "legwhip". The 49ers were notorious for it in the mid-80s to the early 90s. Basically an O-line guy will "take a dive" so to speak, ie. faking that he's been pushed off his feet by the opposing player and as he is going down he whips his leg around behind him trying to connect is foot with the other guys knee.

I remember guys being interviewed about it like Howie Long and Reggie White and how they felt it was way way over the line and endangered guys careers. Sometime in the early 90s it became illegal and you could get an Unsportsman Like Conduct call if you got caught at it.

9. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Thanks J Man.

You're right. That was what I was talking about.

The Niners were notorious for that.

10. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I thought one of the key components to this zone blocking style is the cut block. Am I mistaken?