Cushing "The Pass Rusher"

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jun 24, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

A case is being made for Cushing the pass rusher

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

thanks for posting a positive thread in a sea of negativity (not you of course). I just would also like to add that Cushing could play any of the LB positions in Wade Phillips system, which would suggest he is not locked into ILB solely.

76Texan likes this.
  3. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Anybody know what Cushing is up to this offseason ? I seem to recall he
    bought a very expensive house in the Houston area, so perhaps he's hanging around Houston during this offseason ? Or maybe he's back home in NJ or out west in SoCal taking more classes at USC ?

4. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Cushing has been put in a tough spot. Coming into the league there was talk of steroid use, then he does get suspended for using a banded substance. He misses a month, has to fly into the MLB role after missing that month of football. Struggles, gets moved back and then has to acclimate himself back to OLB after trying to learn a new position, to now be moved once again only the players are locked out and he can't talk to any of his coaches and does not have the benefit of leaning on teammates cus they don't know either.

Welcome to the NFL.

5. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

Getting suspended for using a banned substance was all on him. There are no excuses.

6. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

but he's got a genetic condition that causes him to have high doses of that!

dc_txtech likes this.
  7. texansfan44

texansfan44 Rookie

It is probable that Cushing took some kind of steroids that helped his 2009 season but likely that he curtailed it when he got caught early on. He was a beast during the whole season and especially at the end when he probably was not using. 2010 had a host of reasons as listed by cloakanddagger why he had a worse year. Also the generally horrible defense made everyone in a reactive mode. Cushing is a physical speciman and workout fiend. I see more reasons than not for him to have an outstanding year in 2011. Pressure up the middle is the thing that can kill an offense and even the Cushing of 2011 can be outstanding at that.

8. texansfan44

texansfan44 Rookie

sorry even the Cushing of 2010 can be outstanding at pressure up the middle.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Is'm not too worried about Cushing. Steroids or no, he's a football player & a damn good one.

I think his "disappearance" last season was due to the ridiculous pansy-play-it-safe defense we employed in 2010.

But when there was nothing to lose & they had to do what they had to do, they (including Cush) played pretty well. Otherwise those come backs wouldn't have been possible.

Hopefully, Wade will do what he says & dictate on defense.

10. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I was listening to NFL channel on Sirius and Carl Banks thought the same thing. His opinion is that MW at WOLB is a smokescreen and Cush will fill that role with Barwin and Reed fighting for the other spot. Good read.

11. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Really?

Haven't heard/seen this.

Link?

12. CloakNNNdagger

Could Brian Cushing Fill The Karl Mecklenburg Role In Wade Phillips' 3-4?

13. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

14. CloakNNNdagger

Dallas Cowboys Brady James Sacks:

2007--3

2008--8

2009--2

2010--1

15. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

No link. I was listening to the radio when he said it. A caller called in and asked about MW and the Texans LB corps. That is a direct quote of Carl Banks though, but just his opinion.

16. GP

GP Go Texans!

He's the Steve Slaton of the defense, IMO.

Lit it up his rookie year, problems and setbacks since then, looks a little lost or a little slow to react out on the field.

I bet this pisses a lot of you off, for me to even throw that comparison out there. Stop being married to our players. Stop having pet projects you think will pan out "if they can stay on one position" and "if he is used right on the system" and "if" and "if" and "if."

This is the NFL. You either got it, or you don't. And even if you got it, you can have your ankle fractured in a meaningless preseason game like Ben Tate. Players who have "it" and stay on top, and play a long time in the NFL at a high level are just rare air. I'm beginning to see why a few people on here, pre-draft a few years back, were not so thrilled about the possibility of Cushing becoming a Texans draft pick.

IMO, he's going to have re-invent himself and get some mojo back. It's funny how Clay Matthews was treated as a red-headed step-child compared to Cushing and the other big-name USC LB...yet he is flying around all season long and won a SB ring and did real, legitimate damage the whole time.

Picture Clay Matthews and Brooks Reed on our defense. With JJ Watt, Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, and a few other fillers on our front 7.

I don't have a good feeling about Brian Cushing.

17. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    OK, thanks.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Doesn't Brady James play the Mike? The right ILB position that Demeco is going to be playing?

I though Brooking was the Moe, left ILB in Dallas' 3-4

19. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

Cushing will be playing bradie james position and Ryans will be playing keith Brookings position. Both will have plenty of oppertunities to blitz but Cushing will get alot more.

20. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Back in January, I was spurred to research Cushing's 2010 performance in comparison to his peers. This was in response to some kid who joined the forums and started spamming it with nonsense.

What I concluded was that Cushing lead the front seven in tackles per game and passes defensed. Despite missing four games and playing two in an unfamiliar position, he had two sacks and had more tackles than Demarcus Ware, Terrell Suggs, and Troy Palomalu.

Thread link

Going by stats, no one can call his 2010 season a disappearing act. The defense wasn't putting anyone in a position to excel.