Cushing making progress!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texan in Japan, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

Wow, it's nice to have a first round pick come in and make a difference so quickly. Despite missing most of the preseason he looked good in game #1, but today he was all over the field blowing up Titans' screens and runs.

I'm really liking what I see from him so far. How about everyone else?

rollinstone18 likes this.
  2. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Yes.

3. 281

281 Hall of Fame

i was impressed with several plays of his. let's just hope he can stay healthy...

4. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Considering that he missed the entire preseason and this is only his second game, I can completely forgive his overrunning a couple of tackles, and the bad technique covering the tight end on one play.

He's going to be a stud. I loved his speed.

Actually, I very excited by the entire linebacker corp. Zac Diles is playing great for a 7th round pick.

5. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

He is very fast for a SLB. In fact he seems to be faster than our WLB. That's very unusual.

6. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

After watching the game a second time, he looked better and better with each play. And the kid has a onery streak that I really like. When he tackles, like Lombardi said, "he arrives in an angry mood".

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

LOL. I typed the same thing in another thread.

If we can get a big run stuffer or two in the middle of the line...that LB unit will be one of the best in the league, IMO.

8. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

I have to say I didn't like the pick early on, and then he got hurt I was even more doubtful of the pick. If he continues to improve on his play today I will like this pick.

Good things from him today and Demeco.

9. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Cushing has looked promising especially when you consider its only his 2nd game in the league but the defense gave up too many big plays and he was partly to blame for some of those plays.

Thankfully, the football gods smiled upon us and fortune fell in our favor. That fair catch ruling (correctly ruling btw) then Collins getting stripped of the football by an invisible defender....it was just too much.

I can't wait till the Titans have to come to Reliant. That is going to be a grudge match for both teams. Finnegan needs to be taken down a peg. I see a crackback block in his future...just sayin.

Cushing let his play on the field do the talking and I liked how he pulled a veteran Antonio Smith away from a possible unsportsmanlike conduct call. He wasn't afraid to pull the veteran and tell him to shut the hell up. That showed me more than just about anything I saw on the field athletically. Smith was a split second away from a 15 yard penalty and Cushing yanks him back to the huddle..priceless.

TimeKiller likes this.
  10. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

"I love this kind of environment," Cushing said. "I love getting booed. I actually like getting booed better than being at home and being cheered. It just makes you feel like you need to stick together as a unit. I think the team gets closer. You have to fight and you have your backs against each other."

That is great to hear, we need some more road warriors.

[​IMG]

11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I was thinking about the booing when Tenn fans started booing. I was thinking either they are booing us or the titans and either way it's good and I am sure The Texans are glad to hear those boos vs. the ones they heard last week.

12. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

One play reminds me of your quote. Johnson took a hand-off and was weaving through some traffic in the backfield. Cushing came around the right side from nowhere like he was shot out of a cannon. He nailed Johnson and stopped another __ yard run.

13. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Just flipping through highlights the past 2 weeks... I'm thinking Cushing will get ROTY consideration here soon if he keeps this up

14. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Quite possibly. He's just 4 tackles behind Laurinaitis in rookie tackles.

15. jppaul

jppaul Cut and Dry

You know outside of three or four plays our defense played pretty well. Unfortunately, those three or four went for huge plays. I really like the more aggressive nature of this defense, but you still have to stay disciplined in your gaps.

Cushing really impressed me, his ability to dip his inside shoulder and get around blockers was something that I hadn't seen of him on the college level.

Very impressive.

16. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

Dude is greatness.

[​IMG]

17. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i really like the way cushing's played these first two games. he's out there as 260lbs of bad intentions and it's about time we got such an angry man on defense. if cushing stays on the field he's going to be an absolute monster for many years.

18. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

He took a few bad angles to the ball at times but he's never gonna miss a tackle and he hits hard. The turnovers will come soon enough for him.

19. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Yeah, the guy is legit. Even the announcers were commenting on just how much speed we have a LB now. Demeco can move, Diles is pretty quick, and Cush is like a cannon. I'm lovin' the pick.

20. texansdrummer

texansdrummer Hall of Fame

BC is a welcomed addition, for sure. His intensity and effort is something that we haven't exactly had the luxury of experiencing before......along with DeMeco, hopefully this can become contagious. Peer pressure rules.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009