Curious:Anyone have a problem just handing the keys over to Schaub?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Mar 23, 2007.

?

Any problems?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. No

110 vote(s)
    70.5%
  3. Undecided

21 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Yes, he got a big contract, but how do you feel (as people complained about Carr getting the keys handed to him) about Schaub named starter?

Would you rather see Sage and him fight it out?

2. NFLforher

NFLforher All Pro

No problem at all. The Texans decided to move in this direction and they should go all the way with it. We'll see what happens.

Sage has been a career back up.

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

for conversation sake, that isn't saying much due to someone else is/was a career backup

*edit* I am not comparing Vick with Carr I almost feel that the situation with Carr and his extention ..Kubiak had to play him full time even if Sage was better (in Kubiaks eyes)...to get a full look at what he had to work with.. I will eat crow on this, I said last season that Kubiak would replace Carr with Sage if he thought Sage was better.. hindsight is 20/20 I guess and now I admit I changed my viewpoint now..

4. Koolbrz

Koolbrz Veteran

No problem!! We need to trust the powers that be. I have faith in what Kubes and Smith are doing. They need to follow through with the decision they have made.

5. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Kubiak said he can take us out of the huddle today!

6. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think our team just made the point that if the QB isn't getting it done then they're going to make a change. The previous regime made a point of never questioning the notion that Carr was the QB and would continue to be the QB. In one year Kubiak benched Carr in favor of his backup (once) and then opted to go get somebody else once the season was over.

I have no problem with them handing the keys to Schaub because I'm certain that they'll yank them right out of his hands if he flops. No, that won't help them keep their jobs but then sticking with "The Chosen One" didn't do much for Smith and Kubiaks predecessors job security either.

Wolf likes this.
  7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

nice point Herv

8. CoachJim

CoachJim Veteran

With the duckies hes being paid, he BETTER blow Sage & everyone else that even resembles a QB away in OTAs & TC. If his contract were for less $$ I could see lettin'em duke it out but for $46 mil there should be zero question who the starter is.

9. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

None. In the past, we were too affraid to make any moves because we were content with our mediocrity. As much as some people might not understand or want the massive formations of change to happen, they are and were necessary to take ourselves out of the mediocrity circle. We needed drastic changes to become a winner and Im glad Kubiak is not affraid to make those changes.

10. Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry Veteran

Like some pointed out after last years draft Coach Kubiak has a pair of Brass ones, for getting Mario not Bush. Well he still has them takes a leader to make big changes and thats what he is doing. IMO players will understand full well now if you dont help this team your gone PERIOD. There are some players on our team right now sweating bullets.

As to your question no I have no problem giving the job to Matt, he knows the system, and he seems movated, he wants his chance, let him keep it or lose it but let him play and see if he is the leader of men.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Since it wouldn't be a fight--no.

12. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Ditto

13. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

again for conversational sake...

what makes Schaub a better player than Sage?

both are backups.. Schaub has played in 38 games in a career
    52.7 percent of passes for a YPA of 6.42 with 6 td's and 6 ints and passer rating of 69.2

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493050

sage 17 games 54 percent and a ypa of 7.02 with 9 tds and 7int passer rating of 77percent

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235151

I am in no way shape or form bashing the decision of the Texans, I am just curious on what everyones thought on what makes him the new golden boy (as a fan perspective) besides of what the front office has said.. did we buy into the hype or could it be legit?

14. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

Yes, they bought into the hype. And whatever else they were looking at... game film and interviews.

Legit? Won't know until the pads start popping under the big lights.

15. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

If it is hype, it's hype that's been running for two years or so. That's about how long Schaub has been being mentioned as a better option than Vick for the Falcons.
    For anyone who is into fantasy football, Schaub's name is pretty well known. For other people, he was a complete unknown, and that has them concerned. He has been considered the backup QB with the most potential to be a long time starter for those two years, even more so than Romo.
    And IMO, he will be better than Romo pretty quick.
    On the other hand, I was admittedly wrong about Carr, so what do I know???

16. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

17. tex

tex Veteran

He's going to be making the same kind of money that DC was making,so he needs to produce or we will be back where we started.

18. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

19. Houston_Fanatic

Houston_Fanatic Veteran

No, the guy seems comfortable with our WCO-style offense and is ready to step in and be the captain of his own team again. I am excited about him starting next year and I am also glad we have a capable quarterback (Sage) to step in if needed.

With all the talk of competing for positions, the quarterback position is still a sacred cow and people tiptoe around discussions about "competing for the job". It is a leadership position and causes too many disruptions when it is changed.

Also, I am thrilled at the prospect of having a quarterback who seems capable of leading a TWO MINUTE DRILL. That was the most telling indication that something was wrong when the offense when they had to dumb it down so much that we couldn't even run a freaking two minute drill.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

When I heard about his Contract, I had no doubt he'd be dubbed the "Starter". I believe the general consensus in the league, is that he is ready to start.

But I don't like that they came out and said he will be the starter.