Culture Change.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by brewhaus, Dec 21, 2006.

1. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

Listening to the radio today, the subject of how the Texans needed to change was talked about and the entire "culture" of the team was highlighted as what needed to change most. And, to change the culture of the team, the personnel change that needs to occur is deep and far reaching across the team.

My favorite coach said it like this:
    "Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing."
    or
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser. "

So, to think that the Texans are going to undergo a massive personnel change in the off season is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Anyone have a thougth on this?

2. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

I think this is the basis of the Carr needs to go complaints. He has endured 5 years of losing and has cultivated a losing mentality. This is the most legitimate reasoning to start anew, especially at the QB position, IMO.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Carr's career record is reason enough to trump any argument for keeping him here.

3. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

I think there will be some changes but we have a solid core & added to a good draft in 07 and a F/A starter (Nate Clemmons) we will be better. Count the players no longer here since last season. Like it or not, we are in a rebuilding mode.

4. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

Change the uniforms!

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Moon lost for almost 5 years and then he turned it on and became a Hall of Famer.

6. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Even if we just look at the past 3 season and considered the 1st 2 seasons irrelevent, he'd still be a loser at 15-33. Atleast the Lions were smart enough to get rid of Harrington after 4 years.

7. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

True, very true......but that's the thing, he was a hall of fame QB and didn't make the same mistakes over and over like Carr did. He just had a really bad team around him. I don't think Carr will ever be as good as Moon, much less make a probowl.

8. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Yes, I have a thought on this.

Changing the players alone won't change the culture of the team. Culture comes from the top down and is ingrained in everything the organization does. The owner, the front office, the coaching staff, and the players all need to change.

For instance, if player introductions are canceled because somebody fears the Texans' own home crowd, that is a front office problem - it was admitting defeat going in. That affects culture.

If the owner protects a star player and holds him to a far different performance standard than anyone else, he is saying it isn't about winning. That affects culture.

Similarly, if the coaches start, give roster spots to, and cut players based on something other than on field performance (except for egregious off-field incidents) that also says it isn't about winning. That affects culture.

If the head coach repeatedly signals his players they aren't good enough to run a two minute drill, they start to believe it. That affects culture.

Sure, if the players are giving up and have a losing mentality, it affects culture. It isn't the only thing and may not even be the most important thing. I think the players can change easier than the organization can.

9. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

LOL.
    I agree with you 100%.

10. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I think its time for Battle Red to become the home jersey. Not only because the look better but because I think it would symbolize the end of the old regime. Battle Red A New Beginning.

brewhaus likes this.
  11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Culture change starts at the top. Am I the only one that is getting Funky on McNair lately? When we picked Mario, one of the reasons McNair stated was that we wanted to win now so we didn't want to bring in a QB even though it was an elite year for QB's. Last week McNair came out and defended David by almost chastising the fans by saying everyone is in too big a hurry and the fans just want to win now, and that we should show some patience. I can't correlate these two diametrically opposite comments by McNair.

12. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

I'm with you Vinny.....he even dropped the V word too.

13. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

I think this is BS. Yes, Moon lost, but he NEVER lost like Carr loses. His first year was especially dodgy, as I remember, but at his worst he was light years better than Carr. Let's don't rewrite history to save our boy Dave.

ATX likes this.
  14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Moon was never inept even though you would pull your hair out sometimes (no offense to you bald guys) watching him chunk picks. He was a skilled passer and he flashed big plays the during his entire NFL learning curve. Moon took chances because he had the courage to make the tough throw. He chunked a ton of INT's early in his career but he was exciting to watch and you could see him improving as he gained NFL experience. You can't say the same for Carr.

15. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Carr looks worse and worse with more experience.

16. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Whats that mean.

17. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

How about the rest of the team? I think that most of the Texans players have become comfortable with losing. Very few have players have openly voiced their dissatisfaction with the situation. Dunta spoke out last week but I don't think anyone else on the roster has said much, have they?

18. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

my baseball coach used to say the same thing, and it made sense then and it makes sense now. if losing doesnt hurt you in the pit of your soul, then you are probably not a successful professional athlete...david is successful as a person and family man but as a player he doesnt even have the respect of his own locker room much less the rest of the league. he is like a dorky legacy in a fraternity. he is in the frat but he really isnt IN the frat or one of 'the boys'. just mo

19. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

I like Carr and think that he needs a change of scenery for his own benefit, ala Plummer in Arizona. He isn't a bad person, just not a performer at this point and is basically in over his head.

I'll take the cap hit in order to get a more confident QB back there and not waste the prime years of AJ right now. AJ can be elite and was a great draft pick, but if we can't get him the ball (and I don't want an elite receiver running 5 yard crossing routes every play) then it is a waste of a draft pick.

I am ok if Sage starts next year, but would prefer someone else, and not Plummer.

20. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

I'm with you on this man....I'd rather have Sage starting than Plummer. Plummer looked horrible this year and was replaced by a rookie....I don't think that was Denver's plan to begin the year.